VController - building instructions

Started by sixeight, October 14, 2017, 09:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixeight

Here is a dedicated post for building the VController. Most of the ideas are scattered in the original VController topic (https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15154.575), but it might be handy to have the building information more together.

A time-lapsed view of the VController build:

Here is a playlist of all the video's at normal speed. It is over 3 hours of video and I am talking most of the time, so be warned!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8fx7tcgFpLT2szDHuSqDDrjR1xBdHkT-

I put these up as a reference for anyone who wants to build the VController.

You can find all building plans, schematics and parts list on github:
https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3

The build is described in this document:
https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3/blob/master/VController%20hardware/VController%20building%20guide%20-%20production%20model.pdf

Do note that the VC-touch or VC-mini are much easier to build.

billbax

Incredible job sixeight!  Just goes to show what can be achieved with skill, patience and application.

Brilliant!

CodeSmart

Great work tall guy. Looking forward for your next project.
There's always a "next project". Right Billl, Catrinus?  8)
We all just need some more quality time...
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

sixeight

Quote from: CodeSmart on October 14, 2017, 04:06:47 PM
Great work tall guy. Looking forward for your next project.
There's always a "next project". Right Billl, Catrinus?  8) .

I will be working on the firmware as there are some feature requests now that there are some VControllers out in the wild.

Albert

awesome, nice idea to wrap the enclosure instead of painting it.

sixeight

Quote from: Albert on October 15, 2017, 12:52:20 AM
awesome, nice idea to wrap the enclosure instead of painting it.

It is a lot of work, but does look good. If there is enough interest to do another batch of enclosures, I hope to find a company that can cut, bend and paint the enclosures.

sixeight

Quote from:  philjynx on October 15, 2017, 10:09:21 AM
Fab video. Wish I could work that fast!

I did have a bad muscle ache afterwards :D

The real building time of a VController is about 20 hours.

Ordering of parts: 2 hours
Having enclosure and 3D printing done: 1 hour
Building main board: 2 hours
Building display boards: 4 hours
Soldering i2c board to main display: 30 mins
Soldering wires to switches: 30 mins
Soldering pin headers to displays: 30 mins
Preparing LEDs: 30 mins
Gluing display holders to enclosure: 30 mins
Putting plastic on enclosure: 2 hours
Putting it all together: 3 hours
Building Rpi board: 1 hour
Testing and debugging: 2 hours
Total time: 20 hours

GuitarBuilder

I like how you grew two extra arms during the covering section!  ;D ;D
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

sixeight

Added a lot of information to the building guide today.

https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3/blob/master/VController%20guide%20-%20production%20model.pdf

Main changes:
- Better description of build and test process.
- Uploaded all code of test sketch, VController and RPi VCbridge image, both precompiled and source.
- Added links to videos

wespac

Thanks for this great project and all your hard work!
Question in the BOM for the Main board, it looks like Q5 & Q6 (2N7000) are not listed in the BOM but appear in the schematic for the i2c display (P4).

sixeight

Thanks for pointing out the error. Here is the updated building guide:

https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3/blob/master/VController%20guide%20-%20production%20model.pdf

And do let me know if you run in to more errors or issues in your efforts to build a VController.

wespac

No problem, it forces me to study the schematic harder!
Thanks for the update.

wespac

So I finally got the Main screen of the Controller working! I tested the main screen separately using an arduino uno to make sure it was working properly and it worked fine with the arduino driving it. I figured it must be either the wires or hardware feeding the main display...double checked everything, comparing it with the schematic. Everything was where it should be. I bypassed the i2c level shifter circuit for the main display and the main display worked (hardwired teensy pins 29/30 to the SDA/SCL lines to the main display backpack). Then I studied the main board schematic again and noticed pin 2 on Q5 and Q6 wasn't connected to anything on the schematic and sure enough it isn't connected on the PCB traces either. I hardwired pin2 on both Q5 & Q6 to +3.3v just like the i2c level shifter for the display boards and everything works perfectly!
Attached a photo of the semi-completed V-controller housed in "industrialized" case.
Thank you very much for your hard work in designing this! This is the most advanced and versatile controller I have ever owned or built...and I've owned alot! ;D

sixeight

That enclosure looks really awesome! Love it. How did you get that industrialized look?

I will check the schematic and pcb design. Thanks for finding the error.

sixeight

Fixed the error in the main PCB. Schematic and Gerber files have been updated on Github.
The correct version for the main PCB board is rev. D!

wespac

The case is actually a piece of sheet metal that I put a grinder to it and I just let it oxidize from the humidity and sea breezes we have here.
Thanks for the update! As usual...Great Job!

AndyE

Hi!

I have a problem with RGB backlight of small screens. I can see text on it, but there no backlight. Do In need recompile firmware with WS2811 support?

sixeight

Quote from: AndyE on February 27, 2020, 11:49:28 AM
Hi!

I have a problem with RGB backlight of small screens. I can see text on it, but there no backlight. Do In need recompile firmware with WS2811 support?

Which RGB backlights did you get? The RGB backlights from Buydisplay need a modification before they work. See picture below:

AndyE

AndyE

It's alive!!! Thanks!!!

There is another problem. I can not buy Neutrik 6 mm jacks in my country. Do you know any analog of it?

By the way. Why you choose this one instead of standart "fat" jack?

sixeight

Quote from: AndyE on February 29, 2020, 12:38:54 AM
It's alive!!! Thanks!!!

Great to hear.

QuoteThere is another problem. I can not buy Neutrik 6 mm jacks in my country. Do you know any analog of it?

By the way. Why you choose this one instead of standart "fat" jack?

I chose the Neutrik's because they are the industry standard in Europe. I am also sure the footprint will not change in the future. With other plugs, I cannot be sure.

You are the first one to have trouble with availabilty. Maybe you can buy plugs with a single row of pins and use them instead.

Mr_B

Fascinating project and I would like to build one, but does it work with Katana MK2 100

sixeight

Quote from: Mr_B on May 30, 2020, 08:44:41 AM
Fascinating project and I would like to build one, but does it work with Katana MK2 100

Not yet, but I would like to add it. This is the most asked question. So perhaps we could work together on adding MK2 compatibility.

Stringman

What is the approximate total cost to build one?

sixeight

Quote from: Stringman on August 27, 2020, 10:33:16 PM
What is the approximate total cost to build one?

PCB's + components and displays: around €200 - 250
Enclosure: €50 to 250.

The enclosure is the tricky part. Hard to find places that will build it for you.