GK2A RR Strat Issue / No mag pickup signal down GK Cable

Started by ktat, January 07, 2018, 12:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktat

Hey guys, looking for some help with a Roland Ready GK-2A issue.  I bought a loaded body off eBay last week that someone put lace sensors in.  Two golds and a red in the bridge, which after playing for about a half hour I think I may really enjoy...

Here's the issue:  1/4 inch jack works fine normally as a normal guitar.  S1 and S2 and the GK-2A work fine on their own.  The problem is that the mag pickup signal is NOT making it down the 13pin cable to my GP-10.

What I've tried so far is using the 1/4 inch out and the GK at the same time, which works.  A/B ing with my other 2 RR starts which work fine using the same gk cable.  I downloaded the GK 2A schematic I found here on the forum, and took the guitar apart to see if there was a glaring unattached wire staring at me that I could re-solder.  Unfortunately there is not.

One thing I just noticed is that compared to my other 2 RR Strats, the guitar/mix/synth switch feels different and seems shorter than usual.  Like perhaps it took a shot and no longer works properly.  It feels like the 3 positions engage, but not with a confident resounding click like my other two.  And it's blatantly not as tall. I'm thinking this might be a lead to follow in solving it.

The one thing I didn't test is if the switch turned off the working synth tone from the GK pickup.  I guess I'll put it back together and try that for starters...

If anyone has any insight on fixing this I'd sure appreciate it!  Thanks

gumbo

Maybe check what's happening out of Pin 9 when you move the mix switch...
...you haven't said where this loaded body originated from, and whether it was a R-R / GC-1 to start with..

In any case be aware that there are subtle differences between the 'standard' GK-2A wiring diagram and the way that it was factory-installed in these Strats...could be something as simple as the substitution (by someone) of the SWITCHING 1/4" output jack at the time of changing the mag pickups..

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

ktat

Thanks for the feedback.

The problem was indeed the guitar/mix/synth switch.  It had been pushed straight down and got stuck there.  As I was contemplating replacing it, I pushed it straight down and it popped back up into its normal position and height.  I sprayed some contact cleaner into it and worked it in thoroughly, and now it feels and works normally.  No replacement needed. 

Maybe this info will help if anyone encounters the same issue!