Roland Ready 13-Pin Replacement Jack

Started by Moja, May 01, 2014, 04:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moja

I was fed up with the flimsy 13-pin jack in my Roland Ready Stratocaster Guitars.
       2'nd, this jack is in the wrong place. Corner of the guitar where any bump will destroy either the plastic internal female and/or the cable male jack. This is not a Pro Road Quality setup right ?

Hence I designed & built these.  In Edition to having the flimsy interface in a much safer location, this new female has TWO GROUND connection that are Spring Loaded to ensure you have Redundant  grounds. Don't forget, the 13-Pin connector 's pins do NOT include any ground connections ( analog or shields ).
     This. new female also is built out of Metal not plastic & provides better RFI ( EMI ) shielding.
   In addition, this new Female to male is a much snug PRO Quality Fit. There is no loose play.

Elantric

QuoteI was fed up with the flimsy 13-pin jack in my Roland Ready Stratocaster Guitars.
       2'nd, this jack is in the wrong place. Corner of the guitar where any bump will destroy either the plastic internal female and/or the cable male jack. This is not a Pro Road Quality setup right ?

Hence I designed & built these.  In Edition to having the flimsy interface in a much safer location, this new female has TWO GROUND connection that are Spring Loaded to ensure you have Redundant  grounds. Don't forget, the 13-Pin connector 's pins do NOT include any ground connections ( analog or shields ).
     This. new female also is built out of Metal not plastic & provides better RFI ( EMI ) shielding.
   In addition, this new Female to male is a much snug PRO Quality Fit. There is no loose play.
Cool.

And use this strategy for the missing 1/4" out
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=359.msg62171#msg62171

maxdaddy

Moja,
Are you selling the jack plates? If so, please give us the information.

rolandvg99

Quote from: maxdaddy on May 01, 2014, 09:50:07 PM
Moja,
Are you selling the jack plates? If so, please give us the information.

+1
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

whippinpost91850

Are you making the jacks available without the plate? Would love to replace the one on my custom 13 pin guitar

thebrushwithin

QuoteAre you making the jacks available without the plate? Would love to replace the one on my custom 13 pin guitar

+1

gumbo

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on May 02, 2014, 02:06:38 PM
Are you making the jacks available without the plate? Would love to replace the one on my custom 13 pin guitar

At the risk of shameless self-promotion...   I am..     ;)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8888.0
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Moja

Finally got around to mounting it in my MIA Roland Ready Strat. Love it. The female jack in the body plate has a surround Ground shielding so the Ground spring Tab in the mating Male contacts on the Spring ground in the female, as well as on the Body of the Female.
     I think this is how the Fender RR Strat should have been built. The 13-Pin Fragile cable is extremely well protected in this setup.  A tried true Fender female jack angled mounting plate.
   And if I need standard 1/4" Jack cable, I use a right angled type so that it does not break off while putting the guitar on a stand or on the floor standing up.

Would love to hear some comments.
   Cheers
   Bob

gumbo

Well done!...

Here's one I prepared earlier.. ;)

...will hopefully be on the (Synth-Linx) market later this year ..if this workshop move ever gets finished!!

...and yes, it fits in the standard jack routing.. :D

Cheers,
Peter

Moja

Here is another picture with the 13-pin cable plugged into my RR Strat. Notice that the cable/connector is nicely out of the way and strained relieved around the guitar strap.
   Notice that the fragile connector is NOT protruding perpendicular ( at 90*  ) from the guitar body where it could be accidentally damaged.

Moja

And now I can comfortably rest my guitar right on the floor without fear that I will damage the 13-pin male &/or female assembly.

musicman65

Very cool. I think this is a huge improvement. Putting the GK plug in the stock 1/4" jack location for protection and relocating he 1/4" jack to the old GK slot is brilliant. Well done!

Infi-del

Quote from: Moja on May 24, 2014, 12:23:51 PM
And now I can comfortably rest my guitar right on the floor without fear that I will damage the 13-pin male &/or female assembly.

I need this in my life. How do I make or where can I buy?
My ebay user name is Doom_Enterprises you can see my feedback here... http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=doom_enterprises&ftab=AllFeedback

Mrmeaner

Hi do you sell these connections ?

mooncaine

whippinpost91850

I believe Peter (Gumbo) is on holiday and won't be available for a month

alexmcginness

Im interested too. Let me know how much.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

gumbo

True, I am about to travel overseas and will not be in a position to consign items until approx May 10th..

One of the versions available in the Synth-Linx range of models is the SL13JRR. (WHITE & RED indicator bands).
This is designed to replace the original Roland jack in earlier Roland Ready Strats that use the GK2A pickup, and includes a fitted cable to connect with the Roland PCB inside the guitar. It comes will all fixings, etc., and bolts to the (inside face of) the original plastic jack mounting plate that is fitted to the edge of the guitar.

Another version available is the SL13JC1 (GREEN & RED indicator bands), which fulfils the same purpose but is wired to suit the later Roland/Fender Strats (GC-1) that use the GK3 pickup.

These are both available for the same price of 40USD + 5USD untracked shipping to most countries.

NOTE that these are replacement items for the edge-mounted Roland jack originally fitted to these guitars..they DO NOT fit within the standard Strat 1/4" jackplate.

Pics of both models follow.

I will be pleased to supply further information (if required) for the next few days until I start travelling, but no stock will be available until I return to Australia in May.  you can write to me at   info@synth-linx.com

HTH

Cheers,
Peter
SYNTH-LINX
South Australia

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Elantric

Must be logged in to see member attached files and pics

gumbo

Quote from: Elantric on March 11, 2017, 08:38:09 PM
Must be logged in to see member attached files and pics

Thanks for the edit Elantric...bit busy here at the moment!  :-)
Cheers,
Peter

Rolando

I'm new to the Fender GC-1 and Roland GR-55 and have had them for just a few days now.  Right away I noticed a problem keeping the GK cable from making noise at the 13-pin jack on the GC-1 and added a plastic cable clamp strain relief to the strap pin. I don't normally play with a guitar strap, which some players apparently use to secure the GK cable drop loop.  So far the cable clamp has cured the problem and it's easy to hook and unhook the loop in the GK cable since only one half of the cable clamp is secured to the guitar.  These clamps are normally used to secure AC power cords in an amp, but works well in this application.  The cable clamp I used is for a 5/16" cord, plus or minus. You can buy a small box of them with various sizes at Harbor Freight for about $5.

gumbo

..good hack!
..usually the cause of the noise you speak of is due to the 'flakey' Ground connection in the original Roland jack..which does not maintain sufficient pressure via its small contact surface with the outside of the shell of the jackplug and the inbuilt slop generated by the amount the plug is able to move sideways in the jack from the drag of the cable.

A cable with a right-angle plug on the 'guitar' end will also help this situation, but the initial problem remains.

Granted, the Harbor Freight solution is cheaper than a replacement Synth-Linx Jack, but...    ;)

Cheers,
Peter

Rolando

Whether the GK connector is a straight or a right angle plug, both need to have the GK cord weight supported by some method other than hanging from the GC-1 jack to the ground.  The weight of the cable also induces a torque at the jack, pulling on one side of the connector more than the other and slightly cocking it in the 13-pin socket and promoting noise problems.  Even a right-angle GK connector would need to have the cable supported, and the cable clamp (or guitar-strap support) strain relief is appropriate for this.  My GK cable and GC-1 are newish and, in time, the ground connection may become worn, weak, and noisy.  In that case, I'd would first try a new Roland GK and go from there if a better solution is required.  Using a strain relief of some design from the very beginning may prolong the life of the critical ground connection, I'm hoping anyway.

gumtown

I thread my GK cable over the rear strap button/strap-lock, behind the shoulder strap, and then into the GK socket.
So there is only a small tension, and only pulling upwards.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/