GR-55 - Sound too much "compressed" and distorted when using COSM guitar

Started by vleydan, November 11, 2017, 04:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vleydan

Hello!
This is, maybe, the 5th time that I try to learn to communicate with my guitar, and it's going very good, compared to the other times.
But I'm having some trouble with my gr55 unit and I'd need your help, if you know what's going on...
The problem is not ALWAYS there, but when I use a patch that does not depend on the pickup of the guitar but on the gk3... the sound is...
well, like the amp is burned out.
I'm attaching a sample so you can have a better idea.
Sometimes it just goes away and I can play "clean" without problems but, most of the time... just changing patch does this... and it's quite painful for my ears!

Any Idea an what it could be?

Thank you!

Federico

Kevin M

Quote from: vleydan on November 11, 2017, 04:10:21 PM
Hello!
This is, maybe, the 5th time that I try to learn to communicate with my guitar, and it's going very good, compared to the other times.
But I'm having some trouble with my gr55 unit and I'd need your help, if you know what's going on...
The problem is not ALWAYS there, but when I use a patch that does not depend on the pickup of the guitar but on the gk3... the sound is...
well, like the amp is burned out.
I'm attaching a sample so you can have a better idea.
Sometimes it just goes away and I can play "clean" without problems but, most of the time... just changing patch does this... and it's quite painful for my ears!

Any Idea an what it could be?

Thank you!

Federico

Could be your GK-3 input sensitivity levels are too high for your patch.

shawnb

I'd start with the basics...

Cleaning the gk cables, & trying a factory reset. 

Info on cleaning up your cables:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

vleydan

Thank you Kevin M, Thank you Shawnb, very kind from you :)
I've put the sensitivity to the values suggested by Elantric in another thread (19-25),
I'll try to clean up a little bit now, before a factory reset.
A side note, I've also a Gp-10 unit.... that sounds like trash, actually.
I guess that the problem has the same source, right?
I've ordered a VG-99 and should be here next week, we'll see how things will go!

shawnb

If neither unit sounds good, I'd also look at setup & basics.

GK install: how far is the pickup from the bridge?  How far are the strings from the GK, when fretted at the highest note?   

Have you tried different output settings?

What kind of amp?   PA or guitar amp?

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

vleydan

The amp is a behringer b212d, but normally the performance it's quite good, just lately I have this strange problem.
it's been a while since I have this setup but the last time I checked the gp10 sounded even better than the GR55, I put it away just because I needed an effect only present in the GR55 (the solo distortion in "like a stone"), and now, several months later, I have this problem.
That's really weird.
The minimum space between the gk and the string is 1.83 mm, and I've a floyd rose bridge, so I guess I can't "play" too much with such regulation, anyway I'll let you know something when the new equipment will be here, I try everything on another guitar and with another gk3.
I need to explain better that the problem with the gr55 happens from one moment to the other while playing, sometimes all I have to do is to change a patch and go back to another one to ruin completely the sound...

thank you!

shawnb

You want the 1mm when fretted.   Big distinction.   1.83 might be ok when measured open.   But the measurement should be taken fretted at highest frets.

sixeight

There is a lot of distortion in your clip. It sounds like one of the power lines in your GK is having trouble. If both the GR55 and the GP10 sound bad the problem must be in the cable or in the GK element.

Do you have a spare GK cable?
And do you have a second guitar with another GK element?

vleydan

Thanks everyone, I'm digging into documentation and trying some experiment to see what happen,
I need to find the tape of the gk3 to change the height and put it at 1mm, I'll let you know about this, in the while I'll try a reset.
I have a spare cable (a new one) but I didn't notice anything different.
I'll have another guitar and another gk3 in some days :)
I really can't play the guitar, I'm trying to learn, but when "she" sounds like this.. my motivation fall (but I don't accept it like an exscuse, obviously, and I play without amp).

cheers!

aliensporebomb

Maybe instead of using a guitar amplifier go direct to a pair of computer speakers or studio monitors.  Guitar amplifiers don't always produce a great result from the VG/GR devices.  I personally never ever play live with a guitar amp or in the studio, I use a PA amplifier that is set to a very clean setting.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

Quote from: aliensporebomb on November 13, 2017, 05:41:27 PM
Maybe instead of using a guitar amplifier go direct to a pair of computer speakers or studio monitors.  Guitar amplifiers don't always produce a great result from the VG/GR devices.  I personally never ever play live with a guitar amp or in the studio, I use a PA amplifier that is set to a very clean setting.
I agree. For me it's VG into a mixer, send to any additional effects -back into the mixer  and then to a stereo tube power amp and out into stereo15in jbl's with tweeters.

For analog guitar, which I often run in parallel with the VG, it's guitar into a analog micro tube preamp that has chorus, tremolo, wah filter, and fx loop with micro tube spring reverb into the mixer and out the same pathway as above.

vleydan

I used to have a solid amplifier (De Salvo Tube 50), but I'm actually using a speaker (following the advice of Elantric on the theme).
I send the signal to a visual equalizer, than to a mixer and then to the speaker.
Anyway, the sound I attached in the first post has been produced recording through usb/midi interface, so it was "pure" (meaning, pure trash, deh)

Bye!

vleydan

Hello my friends!
So, we have a winner!
Mh... no, not quite, we have a damn culprit...
It was the graphic equalizer to produce those bad sounds!
Normally it does a good job, but, since I use rechargeable batteries, as soon as a battery goes from 10/10 to 8/10... this trash happens.
Sorry for wasting your time, friends, I want to thank you personally each one of you for the support and comprehension, I always learn something new here, I hope your passion will always give you the greatest smiles of your lives.

F.