GR-55 - GK3 guitar out not working

Started by Elantric, February 16, 2011, 10:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteIs there a way to route my guitar signal through the GR-55 without altering (or processing) the signal, then feed my amp from the guitar out?

Set the GR-55's Guitar Output to Normal Pickup

but read this thread for issues
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5456.0

EricGlass

First of all hi everyone first time poster, 3 year user of Roland synths. I've been using a GR-55 for about a year now and a GR-20 for 2 years prior to that. Looking for responses from people who also use the GR-55 in their live rigs, particularly people who play with gain as that brings out the noise even more. Or anyone familiar with the noise issue of the GR-55.

My live setup is the GR-55 going out to the PA and the guitar out of the GR-55 going to w/e rig I am using (currently an Axe-FX II into power amp then cab). The GR-55 adds very considerable noise to my rig which is almost silent when the synth is not plugged in. I had the same issue with the GR-20 before the GR-55 and also using different amps/rigs/PAs.

I also usually always have to use a ground lift somewhere in my rig, like on the power amp, this is a result of going out to a PA which always seems to have a competing ground with my rig. I don't believe that is relavant to the noise issue but I am including the info in case it is.

Again the noise is very evident and annoying, if I bypass the synth it's silent. Had the same issue with the GR20. I did find one other post in a forum a while back from someone with the same issue also with knowledge about electronics saying they believe it is a faulty internal design, lacking some shielding or something or another. But I was hoping to see if anyone here has had the issue and if they were able to get it corrected and how (possibly modding the unit?)

Any insight is greatly appreciated, I love using the unit, it fills a lot of holes in a 4-piece band but the noise is just really annoying.

Thanks in advance,

Eric   

w8ing4thewindshield

hey there eric,

have you tried gr-55 out to your amp at a higher level? at least for me, the higher my AMP is turned up on the 55 channel, the more noise (more like an empty hiss) i hear. just a thought.

EricGlass

Quote from:  w8ing4thewindshield on March 02, 2012, 02:24:13 PM
hey there eric,

have you tried gr-55 out to your amp at a higher level? at least for me, the higher my AMP is turned up on the 55 channel, the more noise (more like an empty hiss) i hear. just a thought.

Hi, thanks. Not sure what you mean by AMP on the 55 channel? I am not using the guitar modeling AMP features of the GR-55 if that's what you mean, as I said I have a guitar rig. The noise is just a general noise cause by the GR-55 even being connected to my system. It (the noise) is greatly enhanced by having a loud guitar rig that produces gain.

I have tried adjusting the output of the GR-55 (the output knob on top of the unit) from low to high of course which doesn't do anything about noise reduction if that's what you mean?

Elantric

QuoteMy live setup is the GR-55 going out to the PA and the guitar out of the GR-55 going to w/e rig I am using (currently an Axe-FX II into power amp then cab). The GR-55 adds very considerable noise to my rig which is almost silent when the synth is not plugged in. I had the same issue with the GR-20 before the GR-55 and also using different amps/rigs/PAs.

Its for this reason that many prefer to run a separate 1/4" guitar cord straight from the guitar to feed your Ax-FX,  along with the 13 pin cord to feed the GR-55.

Many others have observed using the GR-55's Guitar Output jack to feed a high gain Guitar Amplifier yields poor results - much hiss and noise, particularly when using GR-55 COSM modeled Guitars.

w8ing4thewindshield

eric,

yes, that's what i was aiming for. if you have no noise upon bypass (regardless of volume levels) this is the only option i can think of.   http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ebtech-he-2-xlr-hum-eliminator-with-xlr/150562000000000#review

my rig is totally silent without this addition (chapman stick) but it could solve your issue.

BasV

Hi w8ing4thewind,

Going slighty off topic here, sorry for that....
Nice to meet another stickplayer who uses the gr55 :-)
Are you also active on stickist.com forum ?
Maybe we can share presets, tips etc :-)

Cheers,
Bas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

datsunrobbie

Is the extra noise at both the PA and the guitar amp?  I have run a simpler but similar configuaration - synth out to PA and guitar out direct to a tube amp - without noise issues, but everything was running off the same electric circuit.

w8ing4thewindshield

hi basV,

yes, i'm on stickist (same handle)

just started "stickin"  (3 months worth)  so haven't delved that deeply into gr-55 possibilities... but so far, i couldn't be more amazed at the sounds i'm making =o)

nice to know there's another sticker in here. where are you located? (i'm in ny)

we should probably start a chapman stick thread. i know of at least one other player (quite inventive a gentleman) who i could probably bring into the fold.

good 2 meet ya!
                              jimi

BasV

I'm in the Netherlands. Yep, a stick thread would be great :-)
I've seen your handle on stickist today :-)
Cheers,
Bas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rexx

I set the COSM pickup NS threshold (0 - 100) high to control noise on patches using COSM high gain distortion.

I prefer using my tube amp/pedal board for my magnetic pickups guitar tones but have been experimenting with COSM since buying the GR-55 so I had to figure this out right away as the noise was an issue with high gain settings.

Elantric

Excellent Advice Rexx!

QuoteI set the COSM pickup NS threshold (0 - 100) high to control noise on patches using COSM high gain distortion.

I prefer using my tube amp/pedal board for my magnetic pickups guitar tones but have been experimenting with COSM since buying the GR-55 so I had to figure this out right away as the noise was an issue with high gain settings.

tekrytor

Two other possibilities regarding noise...

First, probably not your rig's problem, but just in case...when my band changed rehearsal locations about a year ago, we noticed 60-Hz hum that seemed to come from our keyboard player's aging rig. He tried all kinds of things to remedy to no avail until after a few weeks, he switched locations in the room, moving to another electrical outlet, and the hum was gone...from his rig. I happened to plug in where he was before, and guess who had the hum now. I switched outlets and the noise was gone. I pulled out my outlet tester and found the outlet was miswired. When I gig at a new location, I try to test the outlets before setting up to know if there are potential problems. It only takes a few seconds and has tipped me off several times...when I remember to do it.

Second, the GR-55 has a setting for the output type, which should be set to match the amp type that you're using. This is probably not your rig's problem either, but just in case.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Machh_2

hi...plz allow me give my opinion...

1- try turn 180° the AC plug, to invert the AC phase, some times, whit many equips plugged in same AC line can increase some noise when one or more is in the same phase, especially with heavy electrical apparatus or equipment high-power illumination connected together ...

2- try use a AC line filter, or voltage stabilizer whit internal filter on your guitar set...

3- try check if the relation signal/noise is too low...
remember, less signal , more noise..

4- check the cables shield, maybe whit high gain level signal, some external electro-magnetic interferences can amplifier and the shield is not enough to block noises...

5-  if possible, put the high power equipments the most away as possible...

6- never plug the low power equips (like as guitar sets) whit high power equips, peak voltage and peak consumption can affect the workings of smaller devices and even burn them ...

7- you can also sweat ferrite filters along the power cables, audio cable and even the cable GK, these filters help a lot to filter out noise, use how many you think nescessary ... and those are better, are cheaper ...(see the link, sorry is in portuguese, but is title of suggestion)

http://pt.aliexpress.com/product-fm/513741477-TDK-Filter-Ferrite-Core-8mm-Clip-On-Degaussing-Ring-Magnetic-Ring-Prevent-Electromagnetic-Interference-wholesalers.html

is just a suggestion ...
good luck

EricGlass

Sorry for not checking on this thread in a few days, thanks to everyone for replying.

Quote from:  Elantric on March 02, 2012, 04:14:00 PM
Its for this reason that many prefer to run a separate 1/4" guitar cord to feed your Ax-FX,  along with the 13 pin cord to feed the GR-55.

Many others have observed using the GR-55's Guitar Output jack to feed a high gain Guitar Amplifier yields poor results - much hiss and noise, particularly when using GR-55 COSM modeled Guitars.

I never thought about doing this thanks. I think I'll get a 3/8" plastic sleeve and make a snake out of the 2 cables.

ecca

What's a stickist ?

I have no noise problems at all with my 55 and not did I with the Gr20.

Strange.

Elantric

QuoteWhat's a stickist ?

One who plays a Chapman Stick

Many Stick players have multiple GK-3 pickups and often feed a VB-99 for the lower strings and a VG-99 for the upper strings.

http://www.stick.com/instruments/midi/

Check out X-Ray Simon on the Koyabu  - a variation on the Stick

EricGlass

Quote from:  ecca on March 07, 2012, 11:02:57 PM
What's a stickist ?

I have no noise problems at all with my 55 and not did I with the Gr20.

Strange.

Do you use a high-gain amp or high-gain rig in conjunction with the GR-55?

bludgote

I am a new GR55 owner. I am connecting my GR to a keyboard amp and my guitar out to my guitar amp. I want to use the expression pedal as a master volume control for all patches. The gk3 pickup switch will control whether not my guitar signal will get out. I have tried finding where to set these settings on a global level and as obvious and basic of a setting as it should be, it is everything but. Am I incredibly stupid (don't answer that :)? I want to be able to switch from guitar to synth to both without connecting 2 external volume pedals. Any thoughts?

gumtown

The "guitar out" is raw guitar tone, pre any effects or volume controls, so you will need to control the guitar out level separately.
You might have to use the main outs with each panned left/right.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

bludgote

Well I always want guitar out to be full, unprocessed guitar signal and only be effected by how I have the switch on the GK3 (ie if I have it set to synth only, guitar signal will be muted). Am I expecting too much? Is there a better way to do what I want to do? Thanks in advance.

bludgote

And by the way; your floorboard editor software is amazing. Thank you!

tekrytor

Quote from:  bludgote on March 14, 2012, 06:09:47 PM...I want to use the expression pedal as a master volume control for all patches. ...

If I understand the question right, you want to use the EXP+OFF (degault setting) as a global volume control for ALL tones (PCM1&2, COSM, and Normal PU). If that's true, you can set it in the FloorBoard editor by clicking the  the System button, then select System Pedal and GK at the top center field, then select the EXP Pedal (while...OFF) function "Tone Volume". There you can activate all four tones. In this screenshot, only the PCMs are active (lit). That should work for ALL patches. Here's a picture...click it to enlarge.

SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

bludgote

Actually, I always want Normal PU output to be present, whether pcm synth tones or cosm is being used or not. I don't want the expression pedal to control normal pickup volume, I will do that on the guitar itself. I just want to control the synth volume. Thanks for your help by the way.

bludgote

...and so in looking at that pic you posted, I would choose all but Normal PU in that menu and it would do what I need? I will have to try it when I get home.