Antares Internal DSP Luthier Kit

Started by Elantric, January 14, 2015, 12:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

I agree the documentation is a tough battle to find answers at times,

I recall there may be a "Fret Control" alternative for PU switch selection.

Elantric

Freeway 3x3-05 Ultra Switch should work

gumbo

...and any similarity to an early 1960s Renault gearshift is probably more than co-incidental !!    ;D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

GuitarBuilder

I don't see how the Freeway switch could work for you; the ATG needs a separate pole to provide position information to the board, as Elantric points out.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

utensil

The freeway ultra is 2 pole so taking into account the freeway documentation ,I was planning to wire as in the left side of the attached diagram I made.( right side is the luthiers manual wiring for the 5 way switch). The operation when atg is activated / deactivated mentioned at the top left

Elantric

QuoteThe freeway ultra is 2 pole so taking into account the freeway documentation ,I was planning to wire as in the left side of the attached diagram I made.( right side is the luthiers manual wiring for the 5 way switch). The operation when atg is activated / deactivated mentioned at the top left
And confirmed it should work.

whippinpost91850

My Mom dad an early 60s Renault Dauphine. Shifter was pretty "wack"

utensil

Thanks I appreciate your help, am excited to get started with the luthiers kit will post my results with this switch, ( will take a while to receive it)The strat positions 2 and 4 are important as they are my fav strat tones , I have yet to hear the atg modeling but I was pretty impressed with the JTV models even acoustics (except Their latency)

gumbo

Hi utensil, I look forward to hearing how you get on with this switch.  At one point I was considering it for a (different) application I had in mind, and was not sure how 'ergonomically logical' it would be for me...  ..however I DID like the many permutations of the Ultra version and what it would potentially give me.

For me also at the time (as I was considering it in a Strat body) was the thought that perhaps I might run foul of the available room under the pickguard in that area as opposed to a narrower blade switch, let alone that I might accidentally knock the lever into the second 'register' unknowingly while playing.... :o    ...dunno..

Let us know how you find it..

Cheers,
Peter

vanceg

I love the Freeway switch.  Awesome.  I haven't used it with the Antares, of course, but just putting in a big thumbs up for the switch as an option in general.

Elantric

Just want to report that James Hetfield of Metallica is an Antares ATG internal kit user now.

He had his JTV-59 gutted and upgraded to Antares ATG internal kit  - principally for its improved Acoustic simulations compared to his Line-6 Tyler Variax Acoustic tones. he still uses the mag Pickups for Electric Tones

DudeInMyrtleBeach

Hello all! I'm getting ready to buy one of the luthier kits, and was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare the pickup choices -- LP vs Strat spacing. Will I have issues if I order the pickup with LP spacing and decide to put it on one of my strats or vice versa? Do both pickups have the wires exiting the bottom of the pickup? If so, is it possible to re-wire them to exit the side? Are the wires connected to the pickup via modular connector, or are they soldered?

Any help would be appreciated.

Elantric

Gibson spaced Mag hex pickups are rare in the USA

Fender Spaced Mag Hex Pickups are everywhere  - as used in GK3, Fishman FTP,

If you prefer a side entry fender spaced mag hex PU, You can substitute a GK-3 Mag hex pickup to feed the Antares internal DSP board  - requires some knowledge of electronics to co-ordinate the different connector types and pinout.

Antares sells the desired hex pickup spacing  type separately  if you contact them

But the point of the ATG luthier kit is a clean install with no visible wires - that typically means PU wires emerging below the hex PU

Majiken

Quote from: utensil on June 22, 2016, 07:48:30 AM
Thanks I appreciate your help, am excited to get started with the luthiers kit will post my results with this switch, ( will take a while to receive it)The strat positions 2 and 4 are important as they are my fav strat tones , I have yet to hear the atg modeling but I was pretty impressed with the JTV models even acoustics (except Their latency)

Hi Utensil, any word on your progress here?  Here's why I'm so interested:  I have a '76 Electra MPC330 (my very first electric) that is a great playing guitar with as far as I can tell no foreseeable vintage value jump expected* that I am thinking about putting an internal kit into.  The pickup selector is a 5-way rotary switch, but I could perceive using the Freeway switch instead.  BTW, the ATG prices in Europe are ridiculous, so I am studying the option of taking the group buy so kindly offered here.  Thanks, Kenny

* the guitar has already been subjected to modifications, like replacement of the original pickups when they went microphonic with Carvin M22s (what Frank Z. apparently used) and a roller bridge.  Of course I still have the original parts, but why even consider reinstalling microphonic pups??
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

utensil

Quote from: Majiken on September 05, 2016, 02:36:00 PM
Hi Utensil, any word on your progress here?  Here's why I'm so interested:  I have a '76 Electra MPC330 (my very first electric) that is a great playing guitar with as far as I can tell no foreseeable vintage value jump expected* that I am thinking about putting an internal kit into.  The pickup selector is a 5-way rotary switch, but I could perceive using the Freeway switch instead.  BTW, the ATG prices in Europe are ridiculous, so I am studying the option of taking the group buy so kindly offered here.  Thanks, Kenny

* the guitar has already been subjected to modifications, like replacement of the original pickups when they went microphonic with Carvin M22s (what Frank Z. apparently used) and a roller bridge.  Of course I still have the original parts, but why even consider reinstalling microphonic pups??

I got all the parts with one small hiccup, I accidentally selected strat spacing for the pickup . I'v already written to line6 to see if I can separately purchase the narrower width pickup. I'm not sure how I made the mistake but going through my original order details it's clearly my careless mistake not theirs. I was considering to install it anyway as the alignment is only slightly off on the first and last strings but would rather get a better fitting replacement. Will update when I have some progress.

admin

QuoteI'v already written to line6 to see if I can separately purchase the narrower width pickup.

be sure to contact Henrik at  Antares

utensil

Yes have sent a couple of mails to him I only have the generic support email address not a direct one. no response so far. May just do the install with graph tech piezo bridge instead.

By the way anyone know where the toggle switch referred to in the manual is on the luthier board , the manual just says left side of the dsp board but I can't spot it anywhere . It's supposed to select between a 3 position or 5 position switch.

Lastly any idea what the 4 jumper switches on the dsp board are?

admin

Majiken

Hi all, got a chance to test an ATG-1 here and was for the most part impressed (but not at the price, here in Germany they are asking 930 Euros, holy moly!!!).  Anyway, as I mentioned in a previous post here I have my old Electra MPC X330 that I want to use the group buy to get the luthier kit for.  There's only one issue I have yet to resolve:  The Electra has a 2 level 5-way switch for two pickups (I hope the link works so you can see the pics and wiring diagram), and I am not sure if it can be used for the ATG or not.  Can anybody tell?  Or, is the Free-Way an alternative?  Gotta clarify that issue before I pull the trigger, I did just send Henrik a PM here and an email- any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

https://goo.gl/photos/W3AfGGdqWHewEbYD8
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Majiken

Latest update: according to Henrik from Antares the Electra current switch would almost certainly not work, but the Free-way would (with best wishes on figuring out exactly how. Hoping to hear shortly from Free-way if I can get away with the simpler switch, but one way or another the trigger is about to be pulled on the luthier kit.

Question: Can the signal from the Shadow hex pickup be split to feed both the ATG and and internal GK-3 kit in parallel? It would be great having both options available in one guitar!

www.majiken.rocks

whippinpost91850

YEP! I'm trying to figure this out as well

Majiken

Latest news: I got Henrik and Alasdair from Free-way in direct contact with each other and the 3x3 05 Ultra switch will work! Alasdair is making a wiring plan, and the luthier kit is on order :-).

Henrik agreed with me that parallel wiring of the ATG and internal GK3 kits should be possible by splitting the hex signal right after the pickup. The issue is making robust connections with the flyspeck wires; I'll look with my wiring guru* at the direct possibility when the kit comes in. This means of course that both paths would be completely independent of each other, ie. no ATG-modeled signal going into the GK3.

* I've reported elsewhere about my 13-pin tribulations with my Godin LGX-T; with Gumbo's (Peter) advice and Synth-Linx jack and my guru's skills it has recently been rewired and works like a charm! I will tell the story with pics as soon as I can figure out how to do that link thing that worked in Snapagogo but doesn't show up for me in Google pics (yet).  Ah, modern technology.....

www.majiken.rocks

gumbo

Quote from: Majiken on October 11, 2016, 12:32:47 AM
Latest news: I got Henrik and Alasdair from Free-way in direct contact with each other and the 3x3 05 Ultra switch will work! Alasdair is making a wiring plan, and the luthier kit is on order :-).

Henrik agreed with me that parallel wiring of the ATG and internal GK3 kits should be possible by splitting the hex signal right after the pickup. The issue is making robust connections with the flyspeck wires; I'll look with my wiring guru* at the direct possibility when the kit comes in. This means of course that both paths would be completely independent of each other, ie. no ATG-modeled signal going into the GK3.

* I've reported elsewhere about my 13-pin tribulations with my Godin LGX-T; with Gumbo's (Peter) advice and Synth-Linx jack and my guru's skills it has recently been rewired and works like a charm! I will tell the story with pics as soon as I can figure out how to do that link thing that worked in Snapagogo but doesn't show up for me in Google pics (yet).  Ah, modern technology.....

Thanks for the thanks!  Good to hear that it's all come together.   
FWIW, I have built One-into-Two adaptors for the Roland GK pickup in the past if you find that technology useful.  I stock all the 1.5mm pitch 8-pin connector stuff... btw..

Cheers,
Peter

Majiken

Hey Peter,

the real praise will come elsewhere with pics, as soon as I find the time and method, as mentioned  ;D.

Can you send me (or have you already somewhere) send me the adapter info per email?  I'm considering ordering another Synth-Linx jack anyway, should the double build in that particular guitar prove the way to go.

Cheers, Kenny

www.majiken.rocks

gumbo