Top 10 Progressive Rock Albums

Started by John Black, January 29, 2016, 01:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Black

Kevin M

Nothing past 1981 in that list...what a pity!  Plenty of great progressive rock has come out in the last 35 years. :-)

admin

hading

Also agreed. Even given that there is enough scope in the genre for fans to have radically different lists, this list seems more like a list that someone who wasn't actually a big prog fan might make.

admin

QuoteEven given that there is enough scope in the genre for fans to have radically different lists, this list seems more like a list that someone who wasn't actually a big prog fan might make.

Probably the same folks who voted for Jethro Tull to win a Grammy for "Best Heavy Metal Band" in 1988
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jethro_Tull_(band)

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: admsustainiac on January 29, 2016, 11:03:13 AM
Probably the same folks who voted for Jethro Tull to win a Grammy for "Best Heavy Metal Band" in 1988
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jethro_Tull_(band)

Wait!  They weren't Heavy Metal?   :P
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

gvidelock

I always had the Moody Blues and Renaissance on my prog rock list and I think Kansas used to qualify  ;D

My daughters and I share a love for prog rock and are thinking about taking a vacation in London next summer to hear our current favorite: Karnataka

My older daughter and I went to London (we live in Boston, BTW) in December of 2014 to hear see Jeff Wayne's live production of War Of The World (the one that Justin Hayward had a hit with "Forever Autumn").
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

aliensporebomb

Those are all great records but I could introduce you to dozens more equally as compelling.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

gvidelock

Thanks!

I have a Pandora station seeded with "Yes" and I get a mix of old and new prog rock bands (sometimes I like, sometimes not).

I occasionally pick up a copy of Prog Rock magazine and listen to the CD they include with new bands (that's how we came across Karnataka a couple of years ago).

I'll always appreciate a couple dozen new names too!
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

mchad

Kevin M

From the last twenty years my list would have to include:

Tool - Lateralus
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase
Karnivool - Asymmetry

hading

I haven't kept up too much since the 90s. I do keep up with echolyn, though. All of those are good. I liked what the Flower Kings were doing at that time and I think they remain active today. If you like Neo-prog then stalwarts like IQ and Marillion have been cranking along. I've heard some of IQ's more recent stuff and liked it.

Rhcole

I've heard it all. I can't argue with Dark Side of the Moon, but Close to the Edge is it for me. More recent artists are great, but they are informed by the groundbreaking pioneers.

hading

There are still some prog festivals too, like NEARfest and Progday. Just checking the lineups of those isn't a bad way to find out about some current bands.

vxboogie

Rhcole

If we're gonna add the Dregs then I would nominate Birds of Fire by the Mahavishnu Orchestra.  Wouldn't be my number one but an amazing album.

Elantric

More current projetcs in this category

! No longer available

Animals as Leaders

Tony MacAlpine

hading

Quote from:  sec6
MAGMA

I'd put MDK in any top 10 of mine, for sure. Some days it would be first.

shawnb

What an excellent thread...  New listening material!  Haven't heard of a couple of these bands!
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Kevin M

Quote from: Elantric on February 07, 2016, 10:04:03 AM
More current projetcs in this category

! No longer available

Animals as Leaders

Tony MacAlpine

Animals as Leaders are technically astounding. With a little more 'feel' they would be awesome.

mooncaine

I used to listen to WRAS 88.5 before it was gutted, and one of their specialty shows featured something they called "math rock." Maybe those were the songs that sounded, basically, like "Five Percent For Nothing" on Yes's Fragile.

I mean that in a good way. I enjoyed those bits now & then. 3 of them in a row would probably send me on a murder spree, or at least give me a toothache. That stuff sounded just like prog to me. They even played instruments & effects that sound like 40 year old prog rock.

shawnb

Another band/album worthy of mention in this list is Opeth's Heritage.   Heritage is still in my active rotation. 

"10" is just too small a number...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Trevor

How about damn near any album by PFM?Franco Mussida!

aliensporebomb

Yup.

And how about Area?  Banco Del Mutuo Succorso?  Museo Rosenbach?

Here's 10 you may have never heard of that you should check out:
Anglagard - Hybris
Rovo - Phoenix Rising
Happy Family - Minimal Gods
The Physics House Band - Horizons / Rapture EP
UKZ - Radiation EP (Eddie Jobson!)
Bubblemath - Such Fine Particles of the Universe (and their recent single release, "The Sensual Con")
Wintergatan - Sommarfågel
Aghora (and "Formless" the sequel)
Frost* - Milliontown
Zebulon Pike - Intranscience (basically STEM metal in some ways)
I'd also add Heldon's "Stand By"

And you can listen to my solo instrumental prog record I released a few years back, the sequel is in the works:
https://aliensporebomb.bandcamp.com/album/this-is-aliensporebomb-a-soundtrack-with-no-film-special-edition
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

hading