What do we use our S1 and S2 buttons ?

Started by 2pods, February 03, 2011, 05:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2pods

Further to my post elsewhere, https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3004.0 I wondered what we all use our S1 and S2 buttons for over midi (other than program change) ?
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

MCK

I use it for pickup selection sometimes. My pet pieve is that there is no way to display the pickup selected on the VG99 or VB99 display or the FC300...

Elantric

The S1 /S2 buttons are User assignable. In a MIDi over USB scenario, You could use these to turn on / off NI GR4 stomp boxes, or kick in a Solo Boost, or change external presets.

But most typically have S1 / S2 mapped to change internal COSM pickup selection. If you are on the COSM Strat model, and have a patch with the Neck PU on, two "taps" of the "S2" button takes you to the Middle PU, one more S2 tap takes you to the Middle PU +Bridge PU, and one more tap takes you to the Bridge PU alone. Four taps of the "S1" button takes you back to the NEck PU.

Been doing it this way with VG-8, VG-88, VG-99.
The S1 & S2 functions can be reassignable on a per patch basis.

2pods

I couldn't have explained myself properly. :-[

I always have S1 and S2 mapped to PU selection for VG COSM stuff.

I meant what control messages do people have them mapped to when using a softsynth using just the guitar to midi, and NO VG guitar ?

Elantric

QuoteI meant what control messages do people have them mapped to when using a softsynth using just the guitar to midi, and NO VG guitar ?

Realy boils down to the GK Processor's Control Assignment support for GK-3's S1 & S2 switches - the available options for assigning these to various FX Control functions and MIDI CC# transmission vary by device (VG-99,GR-55, GP-10, etc)   
If you are driving external softsynths, be sure to chck out GTAK4
http://evenharmonic.com/products/gtak

2pods

Unfortunately I only have Kontact 4 Player.

My softs are currently NI Xpress Keyboards(oldie, but goldie), Korg MI, Korg Wavestation EX, Korg MonoPoly, and stuff that I wouldn't use the VG99 for like Superior Druumer 2.

Giuseppe

If you assign the s1 and S2 buttons for pick selection, do you then lose the ability to change patches with them? Or could you switch out of a patch using foot pedals and then regain their utility?

admin

Which processor? ( GR-55,GP-10,VG-99,. ?)

Realy boils down to the GK Processor's Control Assignment support for GK-3's S1 & S2 switches - the available options for assigning these to various FX Control functions and MIDI CC# transmission vary by device (VG-99,GR-55, GP-10, etc)   

Some allow the S1/S2 Assignments to change for each Patch setting vs a fixed default operating mode set in the System settings

Giuseppe

gumtown

It would be pointless to assign the S1/S2 to do pickup selection and patch change at the same time,
you do have the option to assign the S1/S2 functions per patch, or system/global the same function on all patches.
Regardless of which option the S1/S2 function is in GR-55, it will always send the same cc# per S1/S2 button per patch.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mooncaine

Whenever I bought a new Roland guitar synth or VG, I went into settings and set the S1/2 switches so that they change patches. On a synth like the GR-55, I later set up a few patches called "Tone Tryout" or "Cello Try" (for example) and set my switches to bump up/down through the list of synth tones. I don't think I ever heard them all, but maybe.

After the novelty wore off and I knew what I liked about the unit, I usually set the switches to switch virtual guitar pickups, just like as I eventually did on the VG. Always the same pattern, too. The switch closest to bridge switches or increments toward bridge pickups, and etc.

When I use the VG-99, I usually set them to Dec/Inc the pickups, and I set up the CTL 1 and 2 buttons, on the VG's face, so that I could do the same AND see, because of which buttons are lit, whether I have Bridge, Neck+Bridge, or Neck selected (the scheme doesn't help with 5 pickup models).

But a special patch sometimes needs special switches. It's great when you can assign them, cuz you don't get many chances to have assignable switches on the face of the guitar. Usually only 2.

chrish

Regardless of which option the S1/S2 function is in GR-55, it will always send the same cc# per S1/S2 button per patch.
. Do those switches send a midi cc# from the gk body or do they send control voltage that the processer (vg99, gr-55 etc) translates to midi cc#?

admin

Of course it's the later

they send control voltage that the processer (vg99, gr-55 etc) translates to midi cc#?

Despite the rumors, and piss poor marketing efforts, the Roland GK -13 pin interface has no MIDI  communication on any of the 13 pins.

Details
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0

chrish

Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes shops will have ads that call the 13 pin cable a midi cable.

admin

Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes shops will have ads that call the 13 pin cable a midi cable.

I know , which is why this post below remains important  reading for all members

How calling the the 13pin GK cable a " MIDI Cable" damaged the "Roland GK" VGuitar brand
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0

adamlee011

Waking old post. I wonder if there's any workaround for the vg99 to get next patch with a cc. Basically I want to use a pedal to give me next patch and organize all patches for a performance in order. I use a momentary switch for s1/s2 and usually have 2 virtual pickup configurations per patch and switch between the two by pulling up on the switch leaving the down position for other functions. Seems the only way to get a next patch function like that is on the s1/s2 system setting. What info is it using for that? Would it have to be a program change message? Trying to deal with the fc300 without having to go from cc to sysex mode just to change a patch with my foot.

RBushkoff

I set one button to select TUNING mode, and the other for TAP (tempo).  I find the foot switches OK for selecting patches.  But selecting the modeled pickup looks interesting (though I'd miss the tuner!).

admin

Quote from: RBushkoff on January 09, 2022, 07:16:25 AM
I set one button to select TUNING mode, and the other for TAP (tempo).  I find the foot switches OK for selecting patches.  But selecting the modeled pickup looks interesting (though I'd miss the tuner!).

A bit meaningless without also stating which GK Processor.

Not all support same functions for S1/S2 control target mapping assignments

CodeSmart

I use both SY-1000 (guitar amp) and GR-55 (P.A.)
I use S1/S2 to change patch only in the GR-55 as the patches/songs are organized as my set list.
Patch change in SY is only done by foot, not S1/S2

That's best approach for me.

Ok, there's a little twist here:

I use a Primova GX-2 to split the GK to GKA: GR-55 and GKB: SY-1000
I've programmed the GX-2 so S1/S2 signals won't get forwarded to GKB: SY-1000.
The SY-1000 is set up so S1/S2 change model pickup type.

Now, the GX-2 has a this std feature, if I hold down the "B' button and tap the S1/S2 they will be routed to GKB only, always.
So what all this boils down to is:
a) S1/S2 normally change patch in GR-55 only
b) GX-2 "B" footswitch + S1/S2 will make SY-1000 change model pickup.

8)
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

gumtown

I use the S1/S2 for patch change too,
but the switches change patch on the GR-55,
then GR-55 midi out to the SY-1000 midi in,
where the SY-1000 also changes patch in step with the GR-55.

Both units have the same patch names,
and I reorganised the SY-1000 midi program table to skip every 4th patch,
so the patch numbers (the bank/patch number on the display) align between the two units.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

pasha811

VG99 and GP10 here.

My usage is at home so I do not need setup for live gigs for the moment being.

When using VG99 with Guitar to Midi I use S1 as Modulation Wheel and S2 for Expression sending the corresponding CC to the hooked JV1010 or soft synth. Not ideal but sometimes useful on long notes.

When using GP10 sometimes I use S1/S2 to switch on/off  fx block or chorus.
This will change as lately I added an FS7 so that S1/S2 are free to be used the canonical way (PU selector ) or to change some parameter via Assign. As an example I use them to select pitch for GR300 patches.
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/