Katana R&D - MIDI Designer for all Katanas (iPad) w/ Wireless control

Started by alancarl, February 22, 2019, 09:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alancarl

Hey fellow Katana amp tone seekers!
Here is a link to my KATANA SYSEX Editor layout.
https://mididesigner.com/qa/7333/boss-katana-sysex-editor

Have fun!

Al

admin

THANK YOU!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25263.msg183959#msg183959

alancarl wrote>
QuoteI am using the Katana Air app on  my iPad along with MidiDesigner Pro and with the Midi Designer set to connect to bluetooth the SYSEX midi commands are merged on thru to the Katana.
So that's the route for the SYSEX messages. I find that custom control layouts work better for me to adjust certain parameters hence the MD Pro layouts that I have created.
Thanks,
AL

alancarl

Thanks to you Steve and all of the contributors here,
We all benefit for your collective passions!
Al

Gurbz

Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

alancarl

Quote from: Gurbz on February 22, 2019, 11:32:48 AM
Thanks man! Interesting!
MDPRO2 rules!
Yes it does indeed my friend!
I have found that you can easily have one-way SYSEX tweaking from the iPad to the Katana.
With a little more effort you can request specific parameters via the parameter request buttons.
I find the ability to use the iPad MD layout great for having a window always open for lets say a Graphic EQ or a Limiter..with some MIDI routing between devices the layout along side the BTS computer editor has been a very powerful Katana fine tuning rig for myself!
Have Fun!
Al

alancarl

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/accessories/ud-bt01/features.html#product-tabs
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UDBT01--yamaha-ud-bt01-wireless-bluetooth-usb-to-host-midi-adapter

I have confirmed what Gurbz has told us:
The Yamaha Bluetooth USB to Host MIDI adapter UD-BT01 does infact interface with the USB port on my Katana Head and it will send SYSEX commands to the Katana!
No SYSEX parameter read backs yet but the future iOS bright indeed!
Thanks everybody who has worked on The Project Katana!
Al

Gurbz

Mdpro 2 is very important: it is a fast interface to the inner workings of the katana and higly personal customizable. You can easily attach any midi controller or midi footswitch to virtual presets or controller changes.
For 25 bucks it is a steal and we sure could use more users and layouts!

And yes: thanks to all contributors, especially Steve Conrad,  Steve Hirsch, Colin Wilcox, and  Robert @ Primovasound!
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

admin

Quote from: alancarl on February 22, 2019, 11:51:37 AM
The Yamaha Bluetooth USB to Host MIDI adapter UD-BT01 does infact interface with the USB port on my Katana Head and it will send SYSEX commands to the Katana!
No SYSEX parameter read backs yet but the future iOS bright indeed!
Thanks everybody who has worked on The Project Katana!
Al
THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!!

Quote from: vit3k on February 22, 2019, 05:49:47 AM
Alancarl, can you tell me more about communication between smartphone and Katana AIR? I as far as I know this a MIDI BLE device with standard characteristics. Is that correct? Does it use the same sysex commands as usb? What katana sends to the smartphone during initalization and what do you response with?

Regards

Alan Carl wrote>
Hi Vt,
    i'm using an iPad and Midi Designer Pro 2. Yes the SYSEX commands are the same for MIDI over USB as they are for MIDI over Bluetooth L.
I am initially sending a BTS Edit Mode SYSEX command to the Katana Air then just sending the SYSEX strings that pertain to the parameters that I am looking to have a specific iPad screen control that suits my purpose.

So to recap all I have to do is:
1.connect to Katana-AIR MIDI from the Bluetooth MIDI devices I/O list within my MIDI control app(MDP2)
2. send a BTS Edit SYSEX command 00  F0 41 00 00 00 00 33 12  7F 00 00 01 01 7F F7
3. start sending the SYSEX strings that pertain to the parameters i wish to change Like Amp selection Deluxe Crunch 00  F0 41 00 00 00 00 33 12  60 00 00 51 0C 43 F7

Hope this helps a little
Thanks
AL

Hope this helps

solidair

Hi all!

Has anyone tried this 
   https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/accessories/md-bt01/index.html
on the Katana Head, that has a MIDI port? Would be nice if it also works with the MIDI Designer.

Cheers

Gurbz

As far as I understand the katana head midi port does not accept sysexmessages but only the standard midi program changes and control changes that are allowed and shown in boss tone studio.(example CC 16)

The USB midi-host accepts lots more but you have to dig a little deeper, check out this forum!

But yes: you can create a basic midi designer pro 2 layout for the standard midi port of the katana head. If you want more control there is the midx-20 from primovasound.com and my layout.

As we speak we're developing sysex based mdp2 layouts for other usb-midi hosts like the yamaha ud bt 01 that are compact, wireless and affordable.
Grtz,

Gurbz

admin

Of course- eventually lots of folks will want to know if this same strategy could Also work with GT-1, GP-10, MS-3, ME-80 etc.  and other Roland/ Boss gear that lacks 5 pin MIDI ports

alancarl

Quote from: Gurbz on February 23, 2019, 12:47:57 AM
As far as I understand the katana head midi port does not accept sysexmessages but only the standard midi program changes and control changes that are allowed and shown in boss tone studio.(example CC 16)

I can confirm that the Katana head's midi port does not process SYSEX.
Along those lines The Katana Air's USB port does not appear to process MIDI sadly.
Hurdles I guess?
Thanks Gurbz!
Al

Gurbz

Here 's another MDP2 layout based on sysex for your usb - midi host, works great with the yamaha ud bt-01.

https://mididesigner.com/qa/7440/layout-katana-slicer-effect-sysex

Now also downloadable in a sleek restyled design.

Cheers,

Gurbz
Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Short midi designer pro 2 demonstration on an iPhone, mounted on guitar with nano rubber.

Tonestack with flux fx in a katana aux in

Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Inspired by the new Boss 200 series it may be nice to have simple mididesigner layout based on pedals. 4 presets each. I have been thinking and working on that lately how to get this practical for live music environment. Here's a sneak peek of the overdrive pedal.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Grtz,

Gurbz

easelec

This looks great. Can I use it with a Katana 50 watt?

Is the Bluetooth MIDI adapter require or can I use the amp's USB out to an Apple CCK?

Gurbz

A few things you need to know:

- you need a USB —> midi host because the katana needs the midi (sysex) data to send over usb (even the katana head with midi port does not accept data other then the midi controls mentioned in boss tone studio software)

read admin/elantric 's thread on usb - midi hosts https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15763.0

You will find the yamaha ud bt 01 is a affordable and wireless option. It is not full boss/roland compliant ( only receives data, not sending) but it receives the data well and that is what counts in this scenario.;

- The apple cck is no usb-midi host but can be used for an usb-midi cable like the roland UM-one mk2 and can come in handy later ;

- remember this is work in progress and a DIY forum. The world needs more mididesigner users who can design awesome midi control layouts.

Cheers,

Gurbz
Grtz,

Gurbz

easelec

Quote from: Gurbz on July 28, 2019, 11:12:15 PM
A few things you need to know:

- you need a USB —> midi host because the katana needs the midi (sysex) data to send over usb (even the katana head with midi port does not accept data other then the midi controls mentioned in boss tone studio software)

read admin/elantric 's thread on usb - midi hosts https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15763.0

As soon as I get set up with a USB MIDI host, I will try it out and let you know how it goes.

The Raspberry Pi USB-MIDI Host project looks like it might be a better fit for me than the Yamaha Bluetooth dongle. Any reason why that might not work?

Gurbz

Nope, sounds compliant and bi-directional!
Do you have weblink to the info?
Grtz,

Gurbz

easelec

Quote from: Gurbz on July 29, 2019, 10:29:58 PM
Nope, sounds compliant and bi-directional!
Do you have weblink to the info?

https://neuma.studio/rpi-as-midi-host.html

The page's author uses an iPad with it. I think he connects from the iPad via BlueTooth.

admin

easelec

Gurbz: do you know if you can route a foot controller (let's say a foot controller connected to a BlueBoard) via MDP to the Katana so that you can use it to control the wah-wah pedal or other effect?

Gurbz

I connect my old ART X-15 ultrafoot with a cheap wireless bluetooth midi to my ipad.
Yes. You can connect the sh*it out of it.

My art x-15 pumps out toggle messages, with a small script it works now as a momentary controller.

Once you dive into MDP you realize that everything is controllable.

Short answer is Yes!
Long answer: it is totally up to you what you want to control. You can assign almost unlimited number of control change messages at once or seperate, fixed or dynamic to one pedal or foot switch.

If you're in for the long haul you've got some experimenting to do.
Grtz,

Gurbz