KATANA - GURBZ TouchOSC Editor for Katana (IOS AND Android)

Started by Gurbz, October 27, 2018, 11:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurbz

Hi all,

Here is a no-nonsense katana midi controller template (iPhone 5 size), this time based on TouchOSC for all midx-20 owners who are interested in creating virtual midi controllers.

https://hexler.net/software/touchosc
https://itunes.apple.com/app/touchosc/id288120394
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.hexler.touchosc_a&pcampaignid=MKT-Other-global-all-co-prtnr-py-PartBadge-Mar2515-1

The touchOSC app has a lower price then midi designer pro (€4,99/$4,99)
Download the editor app for Mac/PC (free), load the template and activate sync, the IOS or android device app will find the attached template hosted by your PC/Mac and you can download it on your IOS or Abdroid device of choice. (read the touchOSC manual, it is straightforward).

You will need:

- your electric guitar;
- a Boss Katana amp;
- a MIDX-20 from primova (don't own one?  :o order it here http://www.primovasound.com );
- an IOS or android device;
- a wired or wireless (!) IOS compatible midi adapter to connect to the MIDX-20;
- the TouchOSC app and the (attached) template on your IOS device.

A few thoughts about creating virtual midi-controllers for the katana with TouchOSC or midi-designer pro.

The Katana is a very good sounding amp with even more possibilities under the hood. The midx-20 makes it possible to access these functions without the Boss Tone Studio Software or Gumtown's fantastic editor. The software for the Katana is good but from a guitar players point of view it is also a hassle: menu's, lots of tweakable parameters while all you want to do is play once you're holding your instrument, especially in a band situation. A Lot of players choose for this reason external pedals or multi-FX in combination with the katana because they need very quick access to other tones and choose what they can influence in the most fast and direct way.

This no-nonsense template could fill the gap between A - "too much possibilities and slow access ???" and B "quick sound fix with pedals but not using the Katana features ::)": it allows very quick access to the sneaky amps, boost pedals, mod FX, etc.

In this attached template you cannot access all the other parameters, you need to turn the knobs on the katana (Amp knobs, FX1, FX2, FX3).
So: you can select a sneaky amp and after that you turn the knobs on the Katana, same thing for boost pedals or mod FX.
It is possible to select the effect routing, speaker output and change the EQ settings of a patch.

Faq:

Q: Why is this better than BTS or floorboard FX?
A: It isn't, it's different. A few advantages of this template imho are:

- less detailed options but quicker access to the essentials;
- you can edit/create your own template;
- less listening with the eyes, more with the ears. One trap of visual editing is letting the visuals influence the sound of your preset;
- it's IOS! (And Android)

Let me know what you think if you try this template, I will be finalizing it these months.

Cheers,

Gurbz

Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

CodeSmart

Quote from:  Gurbz
Screenshots, press a button.
This is great Gurbz!!!  :D
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Gurbz

Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

Gurbz

Okay, you asked for it: longer demonstration.

Enjoy!

Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

I created a deluxe version this afternoon, I attached the new TouchOSC template.
Checkout the previous video's (above) about what this is all about.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Alternative for wireless midi:

Use two (ios/android) devices and a reliable wired midi adapter like the Roland UM- one mk2.

You can host a midi over bluetooth connection with free or lowcost apps and have a reliable connection.
Grtz,

Gurbz