Who's got a GP10 and a GT100?

Started by mchad, February 19, 2015, 07:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchad

I've got a used GP10 on its way to me courtesy of Ebay. I think this little box will be cool for me notwithstanding that I'm left handed and there will be some modelling in there that will allow access to guitar stuff I might not normally play.

But that GT100 sure looks good. Compact, convenient, tank tough. The Boss Tone Central demos sound great.

And apart from that it's Boss! I haven't used a Boss multi effect since an ME25. I switched to Adrenalinns and they have been good for different kinds of tones. Especially paired with a Slicer.  :)

vurnt99

I have a GT-100-I find it unwieldy & a bit too heavy... I have the 2.0 firmware installed so I'll give it another go....

gumtown

The GT-100 is miles ahead of the ME-25 in everything.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

framster

I have both, my GP-10 is a recent add. The GP-10 works fine going straight from it's mono output into the front end of my GT-100. I set it up so I can select (with an FS-6): Modeled (or not) guitar, Acoustic, 12 String and Drop-D tuned guitar. All this in one patch. The GT-100 handles all effects and I use the 4cm through a combo amp (no amp modelling unless my amp dies).

mchad

I've taken the GT100 bait. Down here, Down Under, new GT100s are going for $393 US in some stores so I stood back and looked at the price/feature ratio and couldn't find a negative. Except that they are back ordered!

I've never warmed to Line 6. Zoom I don't mind, but don't see them as superior to Boss.

I just hope Boss keep the updates coming. That's the cool thing about modern gear.

Elantric

QuoteSometimes I think how awesome a GP-10 or GR-55 + Boss GT-100 would be on stage.

Here are my thoughts:

At 2012 Winter NAMM when I first tried the Boss GT-100, with its first firmware 1.00, i felt the COSM Amp modeling was average  - no better than a GR-55 IMHO.

Fast forward to summer 2014, and I get a Boss GP-10, which IMHO has exceptional AMP Modeling.

Seems many GP-10 users forget you can disable all the Amp modeling and effects inside the GP-10, just use the GP-10 for Guitar Modeling / alt tuning only.
and the noise floor remains very low. and can deliver exceptional audio performance  - and be used as a direct replacement for a Line6 Variax.

I still maintain that in a blind test, the sonic abilities of the GP-10 Guitar Modeling beats the Line-6 Tyler Variax.

And today, the Roland COSM Amp modeling in GP-10, GT-001, GT-100 ( 2.0 Firmware) work equally well for all my live gig needs 

So my plan is:

Godin LGX-SA >13 pin cable> Boss GP-10 ( Guitar Modeling only) > mono 1/4" cable >Boss GT-100 ( with 2.0 Firmware!> stage monitor /PA

Add a Raspberry Pi on the GP-10 so the GT-100 can control the whole rig with MIDI.

I'm playing in a new band and need more sonic options than my old surf band  - but the clubs we play are small and the Kemper is too high risk for getting damaged  when Beer flows at midnight on the dance floor at the rooms I play. I dont park my Ferrari in the Walmart parking lot!

Also the analog audio path between the GP-10 Mono Out and the GT-100 Guitar In can be employed as another FX insert loop - I can insert my Fender Tube reverb if needed., or side chain  a Looper ( Voicelive 3, Voicelive Touch 2)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3793.0

After using Roland for years, anytime I plug in my Line-6 HD500X , myself I just can NOT  tolerate its poor amp sounds that have zero dynamics and lack the touch response . ( I always prefer to disable all noise gates whenever I can, as i work the guitar's Vol knob all night long !

Side note:  I suspect Line-6 co-developed the Eleven Rack for Avid - they both sound very similar! (both companies share similar teams on their Board of Directors)  I simply cant use the latest Line 6 Amp modeling,  which IMHO peaked with the Dave Fruehling ( Strymon) designed  2005 Vetta HD
http://www.strymon.net/tag/dave-fruehling/

The latest 2014-15 era Roland Amp modeling works very well for my needs, and matches my expectations of what an Amp should sound like 

supernicd

QuoteGodin LGX-SA >13 pin cable> Boss GP-10 ( Guitar Modeling only) > mono 1/4" cable >Boss GT-100 ( with 2.0 Firmware!> stage monitor /PA

Add a Raspberry Pi on the GP-10 so the GT-100 can control the whole rig with MIDI.

Yep, aside from the stage footprint, weight, and complexity considerations, I don't see much downside.  It will really open up your ability to use multiple simultaneous effects.  You could have FX1 and FX2 the GT-100 + the FX1 on the GP-10 all at once if you like, with the two in the GT-100 movable to either side of the amp model.  And the GT-100 has a more complete FX section (things like slicer and humanizer that were not included in the GP-10).

Have I mentioned how much I like the Tera Echo effect? :)
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

roachone

I know this is very old but I have the GP10 now and have a GT-100 on the way. Anyway, one of you nice gentleman could do a simple drawing showing how to hook this up? Honestly I was gonna sell one of them, but after reading about this I will keep both.

Elantric

Here one method I use.

13 pin guitar > GP10's GK Input

GP-10's Guitar Out > GT-100's Guitar Input

GT-100's 3.5mm TRS Stereo Headphone Out > GP-10's 3.5mm TRS Stereo Aux Input  - which mixes the GT-100 stereo audio with the GP-10's stereo audio

GP-10's 1/4" Stereo outputs to a FRFR Amp / PA

Pete1959

My current rig:

GK equipped guitar in to GP-10
GP-10 Guitar out to input on GT-100
Both units have stereo output connected into a Soundcraft UI12 installed in front of my pedals. (very compact)
Main out L-R from Soundcraft into FRFR

If needed, I use the 2 AUX outs to send to a main PA if other inputs are used. (vocal processor, acoustic)
The Soundcraft is controlled via laptop mounted on a mic stand in front of me. Also allows USB control if I need to make changes to the GP-10 or GT-100
I enjoy the ability to have "blends" available via volume pedals on both units.

roachone

Thanks guys. Really excited about doing this as soon as my Gt100 gets here.

Cups

Here we are, 2019 and I'm thinking of adding a GT100 to my GP10. I've been using a gt 001 with the gp and it sounds great. Two amps are better than one. Would love to have the switching the 100 provides. Seriously does gear swapping ever stop??