VG-99 - FC-300, VG-99, Ableton - Hands-free live looper?

Started by alexbird, February 06, 2012, 10:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexbird

Hello, VGuitars folks!

I'm recently started thinking about looper for live performance. Already have DigiTech JamMan, but its too simple for my goal, since i want to control several loop independently.  RC-300 LoopStation seems good enough,  but firstly i decide to experiment with Laptop and Ableton Live, 'cause this combination is more flexible then just a hardware looper, as i presume.
Here is my first approach to this solution for Ableton Live, VG-99 and FC-300. May be it will be useful for someone else; improvements are welcome!
Physical connection between units shown on picture in attachment.

Setup in Ableton Live
1. Options->Preferences->Record Warp Launch
Exclusive - disable for Arm
Options->Preferences->MIDI Sync
set On Remote for VG-99

2. Add five tracks, arm for record all of them and turn off Monitor.
3. Map Record Button of first slot of each track to FC-300 pedal 1-5 and select Relative(Signed Bit) mode for each assignment.

Setup on VG-99
SYSTEM->MIDI->Page 3  Press F2 until USB(MIDI) <- RRC2 appears. MOST important setup.
This settings is redirect RRC2's MIDI out stream to USB (MIDI) OUT of VG-99. By default (and in common application of VG-99) USB (MIDI) OUT is connected to VG-99 MAIN.
Sadly, this setting is disable sending MIDI message through USB connection, so you can't play on synth or VSTi. But, i think this problem could be solved if use additional MIDI-USB cable for FC-300, or feed MIDI stream from VG-99 via MIDI slot, or something else.

Setup on FC-300
1. Switch FC-300 to Control Mode.
2. Set for 1-5 pedals RANGE 0-63. With combination of Relative (Signed Bit) setup in Ableton, pedals begin works like switcher - when you press first time, record begins and led on pedal is on. When you press second time - clip begins to play, and led is off.
As alternatively, you can only change MODE for pedals from LATCH to MOMENTARY and don't change RANGE. In this case, you can use standart Absolute mode for mapping in Ableton and pedals still work like switcher, but led will not light during recording.

So, finally, what i have:
- 5 pedals on FC-300 (1-5), that works like REC/PLAY switchers;
- 5 slots for record;
- FC-300 may work like looper controller in Control Mode and like VG-99's controller in SysEx Mode;
- since we have 2-in-1 pedals in Control Mode, additional 5 slots (or tracks) can be assigned to 6-10 pedals. Or use these pedals for track STOP function, or something else;
-  6 not used, free controllers on FC-300 (2  CTL + 2 EXP PEDAL + 2 EXP PEDAL SW )

What i don't have:
- no UNDO button - i can't find the way to delete recorded clip in Ableton remotely, not using computer keyboard. May be there some clever trick?
- synth not playing through Ableton. Can be resolved by using additional cable.

Actually, all it's done for desktop PC for now. But, for laptop just add audio-midi interface. Core idea is the same.

Alex.

guitarnstuff

I am trying mobius vst and had similar control issues with FC300. Ordered a softstep and will see if that works better. See mobius at circularlabs.com .

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LPHovercraft

You might be able to get some form of MIDI pass-through for one of the pedals in the FC-300, but you might be better served by the KMI SoftStep, which has a 'factory' template for controlling Live's built-in looper.

Houston Haynes - LPHovercraft

vanceg

Quote from: LPHovercraft on February 07, 2012, 02:35:25 PM
You might be able to get some form of MIDI pass-through for one of the pedals in the FC-300, but you might be better served by the KMI SoftStep, which has a 'factory' template for controlling Live's built-in looper.

The suggestion of using a Softstep is a good one. I use a softstep exclusively instead of the FC-300 (for over a year now). 

However - my first question is:  Why are you not using Live's looper effect but instead using Live's clip recording and playback funcationality?  I would suggest at least trying Live's looper.  You may also want to try Mobious Looper or Crossfacde Loop Synth as plugin options.

guitarnstuff

Vance
I am curious how you use the Soft Step. Are you just controlling the Vg99 or also laptop VSTi and mobius? Are you using theSoft MIDI  expander or USB. I am trying it for VG99, VSTi & MOBIUS and have mixed feeling about switching.  Pro and Cons. Was the switch clear for you or did you "grow" into it as you learned the Soft Step?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

alexbird

Quote from: vanceg on February 15, 2012, 08:52:31 AM
Why are you not using Live's looper effect but instead using Live's clip recording and playback funcationality?  I would suggest at least trying Live's looper.  You may also want to try Mobious Looper or Crossfacde Loop Synth as plugin options.
I am not mentioned that i use Live Lite version and there is no Looper. Thanks for advice, think about upgrade or trying to use Mobious.