Fender-Roland G-5 Stratocaster

Started by aliensporebomb, January 19, 2012, 03:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Litesnsirens

All good points, and I think I like all the extra heavy guts on the floor anyway and not around my neck and on my shoulder.  I have the GC-1 strat 3 tone burst, and hopefully I'll pick up the black one soon.  I love the one i have now.

jerrycali

I picked up a sunburst GC1 and am very happy with the neck , the build quality , and even the pickups  when adjusted sound pretty good but have a 58/67/heavy blues2  (Dimarzio Area) sitting on the bench waitng to go into the new gtr. I realized that ALL my presets sounded better when using the GC1 and feel that that is because the GK3 pickup is in the the right place and at the right height - definately the right choice in purchasing this GC1 Strat  -I have some great acoustic patches I will post and share as soon as I am able -Jerry Cali

shopstartuk

Thanks everyone, I think I will look at the GC Strat then.
Fender Strat Plus Delux
Fender Tele 60th
Roland GR 55

Litesnsirens

Quote from:  jerrycali on December 01, 2012, 09:50:09 AM
I picked up a sunburst GC1 and am very happy with the neck , the build quality , and even the pickups  when adjusted sound pretty good but have a 58/67/heavy blues2  (Dimarzio Area) sitting on the bench waitng to go into the new gtr. I realized that ALL my presets sounded better when using the GC1 and feel that that is because the GK3 pickup is in the the right place and at the right height - definately the right choice in purchasing this GC1 Strat  -I have some great acoustic patches I will post and share as soon as I am able -Jerry Cali

Isn't it surprising just how good this neck feels.  Normally I hate finished necks, and was fully prepared to put a warmoth neck on this guitar but after I picked it up and started playing it, I just fell in love with the neck.  Don't know why, it doesn't feel gummy like most finished necks.  The whole guitar was just a pleasant surprise, as far as quality and feel.  I never use the mag pickups so I don't know if they are any good or not.

oddguitar

They also released the G-5A American-made VG Strat....Roland really is going "Back to the Future"....rereleasing the twin GR pedals (albeit improved), rereleasing the Fender VG Strat (albeit in cheaper Mexican-made form), rereleasing a US-made version of the VG Strat (essentially the original Fender VG Strat all over again)....seems to be a distinct lack of new ideas lately.   Guess one can only hope for a VG-99 replacement at the Musikmesse, although I doubt it.....

The TE-2 seems to be Roland's answer to the Electro-Harmonix Freeze pedal, wonder how different the freeze function is on this pedal vs on the GR-S?

-oddguitar

Elantric

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/namm-2013-roland-unveils-g-5a-vg-strat-569818

QuoteNAMM 2013: Roland unveils G-5A VG Strat
US-built Strat packed with new tech

Rob Power 7 hours ago

NAMM 2013: Roland has revealed its upgraded V-Guitar for 2013, the G-5A Roland VG Stratocaster.

The US-build Strat will be available in candy apple red, and has a number of new and improved features hiding under the bonnet.

As well as being able to switch between pickup and guitar sounds, the G-5A is also able to access alternate tunings and 12 string guitar sounds.

For more information visit Roland Connect, or read on for the full Roland press release.

Roland press release

The Roland VG Stratocaster is now available in a limited-edition candy apple red finish. Made in Fender's factory in Corona, California, the G-5A is a 100-percent authentic American Standard Stratocaster, with a 22-fret maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. It's also powered by Roland's COSM technology so it can sound like a number of other guitars – and you can even switch guitars and tunings instantly, so you don't need to bring five different guitars to each gig.

From Baritone Humbuckers to DADGAD Telecasters - instantly

No more grasping for a different guitar in the middle of your set. The G-5A lets you instantly change your tone, with fingertip access to a collection of coveted vintage guitars, plus a selection of COSM-powered "ideal performance" pickups for a unique, modern edge. Finally, alternate tunings and 12-string sounds are instantly available for any modelled guitar tone, all with a simple twist of a knob!

• Authentic American Standard Stratocaster infused with COSM technology
• Modelled guitars, plus unique pickup tones including the extended-range "Bright Humbucker" and a full, bold "Wide Range" single coil
• Instantly accessible alternate tunings and 12-string sounds for all COSM guitar tones
• Familiar and simple to use: it's a Fender Stratocaster
• Beautiful candy apple red finish
• 22-fret maple neck with rosewood fingerboard
* The G-5A VG Stratocaster is a limited-edition model only available from authorised V-Guitar Station dealers.

All your favourite guitars in one

Powered by Roland's COSM technology, the VG Stratocaster guitar gives you a collection of world-class tones to play, all in the same instrument. Choose from 25 pickup and instrument tones, plus alternate tunings and 12-string sounds. Take a single guitar to the gig and change tones effortlessly, instead of having to switch out instruments every time you need a different sound or tuning.

Change your guitar instantly

Using the five-way pickup selector and Mode knob, you can play a wide range of modelled guitars, including vintage Strat, Telecaster®, fat humbuckers, and even an archtop jazz box. You also get unique, modern pickup sounds available only with COSM, including "Wide Range" single-coil variations and two "Bright Humbucker" options. Both steel and nylon-string acoustic tones are available, plus a retro electric sitar sound. Of course, you can always select the classic Strat pickups as well and just use the G-5A as a conventional American Strat!

Change your tuning in under a second

Along with the great COSM guitars, the VG Stratocaster lets you change your tuning without touching the tuning keys! A quick twist of the tuning knob selects Drop D, DADGAD, Baritone, or Open G tunings. Also available via the tuning knob are 12-string tones, which can be applied to any COSM guitar sound.

Sad to see you could experience bulk of "Roland's New for 2013 NAMM" technology by buying used 5 year old products on Ebay.

Someone once said:

"Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results"

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/guitars/electric/6-string-solid-body/vg-stratocaster-18909

I suppose they figure everybody is drinking diet soda and has lost their memory of anything older than 5 years ago.

(details on 2007 Fender VG Strat)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5173.msg35426#msg35426

ronedee

Hi guys, does anyone know if Roland upgraded anything electronically since 2007? I know what has been done physically. I'm just wondering if getting an older, used USA model would be better than forking out for a new mim.

Also, there seems to be a lot of "B" stock on these recently...any ideas why? Refubs? Or just blowing them out? Thanks! Ron

Elantric

Suggest start at the top of the thread and read for all the comparisons / differences between the
2007 Fender VG Strat and 2012 Roland G-5
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5173.0

Basically the 2007 Fender VG Strat is a true USA Strat with a big hole cut on the body for Roland COSM Guitar Modeling DSP internal PC board

The 2012 Roland G-5 is a Mexican Strat with an upgraded 22 fret neck, USA Tuners, with the same Roland COSM Guitar Modeling DSP internal PC board

Neither allow User defined Alt Tuning, Editing COSM Guitars, No User Firmware update path.

If you like it, Buy it - but do not buy it thinking you will add a 13 pin output to drive VG-99 / GR-55, or get a future firmware update that adds new features. (this is not a Variax)

I consider both closed end products, with zero expansion capability.
=====

2007 Fender VG Strat Manual
http://support.fender.com/manuals/instruments/VG_Stratocaster_manual.pdf
2007 Fender VG Strat Features

2007 Fender VG Strat Tunings
===========================
Normal (N) (E A D G B E).
Drop D (D) (D A D G B E).
Open G (G) (D G D G B D).
D Modal (d)(D A D G A D).
Baritone (B)(B E A D F# B).
12 String (12)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2012 Roland G-5 Strat Manual
http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/G-5_OM.pdf
2012 Roland G-5 Strat Features

2012 Roland G-5 Strat Tunings
===========================
Normal (N) (E A D G B E).
Drop D (D) (D A D G B E).
Open G (G)  (D G D G B D).
D Modal (d) (D A D G A D).
Baritone (B)  (B E A D F# B).
12 String (12)

DeRigueur

I have the old vg strat and am fairly happy with it.  It saves you from having to carry multiple guitars.
The thing is, if I had not tried out a vg strat, I probably never would have developed an interest in 13 pin gear. 
Anyway, I believe the new G-5 guitars also have more cosm guitar models than the vg strat.
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

ronedee

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I did read from the top, and know most of what you've told me. What I guess I meant was, is the new DSP any "better" than the '07's?
Did Roland upgrade the:tracking, sound, quality etc...or is the only upgrade a few new tunings?

I have several GK equiped guitars, and the GR-55. And, was hoping to get an aftermarket "ghost" bridge or saddles with 13 pin capability to add to the G-5 strat for a complete package.

I hate anything Line 6. I had bad luck with several of their products early on, and I just can't get the bad taste removed from my mouth!

Elantric

QuoteWhat I guess I meant was, is the new DSP any "better" than the '07's?
Did Roland upgrade the:tracking, sound, quality etc...or is the only upgrade a few new tunings?

They have the identical PC board and playing both at NAMM shows, the only difference I could tell was the G-5 used a Mexican Strat Body with 6 point Bridge

A closer review of both Owners manuals - both have identical COSM models and Alt tunings.
(must have been the Roland hype that led me to think anything was "new" here) 

As I have stated before - the principal reason the Roland G-5 exists is because the Fender Guitar Service Network  was not capable of repairing the Fender VG Strat under the typical 5 year Fender Warranty.

Fender lost money on VG Strat, so they dropped it from the line-up a few years ago.

Roland figured they could do a better job marketing essentially the same guitar, 5 years later in 2012 as the G-5.

But if you are hellbent on getting either - be sure to download all VG Strat docs at the Fender site
http://www.fender.com/support/articles/?section=downloads&search=+vg+strat

And this important doc
http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/stratocaster/011-7500C_SISD.pdf

Quotewas hoping to get an aftermarket "ghost" bridge or saddles with 13 pin capability to add to the G-5 strat for a complete package.

Good luck finding room for that. The G-5 body is already a big Doughnut.

But an RMC PolyDrive I might work.
http://www.rmcpickup.com/polydrivei.html

Install guide here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6247.0

ronedee

oddguitar

The G-5 & G-5A do have a couple new sounds that the VG Strat did not have, specifically the wide-range singlecoil settings & the bright humbucker settings.....not much, I know, but it is something different.

-oddguitar

Elantric

QuoteThe G-5 & G-5A do have a couple new sounds that the VG Strat did not have, specifically the wide-range singlecoil settings & the bright humbucker settings.....not much, I know, but it is something different.

Yet the 2007 Fender VG Strat Manual mentions both those

DeRigueur

Quote from:  Elantric on March 22, 2013, 05:27:12 PM
Yet the 2007 Fender VG Strat Manual mentions both those

2007 Fender VG Strat Features

This may be hard to believe, but I'm looking at the original manual that came with my vg strat and it's not the same as the chart above.
It doesn't mention the bright or wide range pickups and it has Acoustic 1-5 for the bottom row. No Jazz, sitar, or nylon.

Edit: OK, I just looked at the file, VG_Stratocaster_manual.pdf.  It's the same as what I have, but it doesn't contain that chart appearing above.

Elantric

DeRigueur

Elantric

Looks like you are right.
On the Fender site they did list (recent version) for the VG Strat Manual.
Looks like the G5 Manual when I downloaded from Fender 2 days ago.

oddguitar

I just found this online http://www.roland.com/products/en/CN-1/  Looks like Roland finally had enough of people complaining about the short battery life of the '07 VG and current G-5/G-5A.  Seems like an engineering afterthought that should have been addressed when designing the new series, but I'm happy they are offering it.  It isn't anywhere near as practical or sophisticated as Line6's VDI connection though.

It also looks like they are about to release the G-5A in a Maple neck version (see http://www.roland.com/products/en/G-5A/ under "specifications").

-oddguitar

Elantric

Very much looks like an afterthought, and it does not even charge batteries. 

QuoteIt isn't anywhere near as practical or sophisticated as Line6.

Have to say that about all aspects of the Roland / Fender VG Strat / G5  offerings - and cant think of anything or feature that  those guitars excel at or have as  an exclusive.    I really prefer my JTV-69 with GK-3 and HD-500X + GR-55 on the floor. Never had a better sounding rig   

Elantric

Quoteas we are talking about differences betweenthe old and new roland strats , maybe someone could answer a couple questions i have about the vg strats ...

i really don't see much difference between the old vg strat and the new one , i mean , it doesn't sounde better , right ? it have those extended range pickups simulations , but the other sounds , i believe , are exactly the same as in the 2007 vg strat , right ?

other than that , maybe it's me , but i only see disadvantages in the new one , it has a worst tremolo , uglier knobs and i'm not sure about the battery life of the old one , but in some videos they mention that it last up to 10 hours , as opposed to the 3 hours battery life of the new vg strat or G-5 ...

here's a video where they mention the battery life , about minute 11 :

so is there any advantage to the G-5 ? or the only option that make sense to look for second hand vg strats on Ebay and such ?

I'm not a fan of either VG Strat or G-5

Theses are closed systems with no expansion nor connectivity path to 13 pin systems we talk about here. I feel you are much better off with a Tyler Variax.

mdk2323

As someone who has owned all 4 of the guitars being discussed(Original Variax, JTV Variax, VG Strat, and Roland G-5), I can honestly say that for what the VG and Roland lack in bells and whistles, it is a very good guitar for what it is.  And it does have one thing that the variax could never get right, a good modeled palm muting sound.  The Variax always sounded goofy when palm muting.

I currently have a Roland G-5.  I obtained it for a very good price as a floor model, and I upgraded a few things on it.  I swapped the stock pickups for a set of Carvin Twinblade Humbuckers, put a set of Licensed Fender Locking Tuners on, and installed a SuperVee Bladerunner trem system. It's a really great axe now.

If you could take the Roland GK hardware, and use it with the Variax electronics and software, THAT would be one killer guitar IMHO.

They all have their flaws, but if I had to choose, at this point, I'd go Fender over Line 6, just because of the palm muting.

plexified

Sonny Landreth with a Sunburst Fender G-5 VG Strat at the Dallas Guitar Show playing through a Komet amp.

HAMERMAN409

For a minute thought Sonny had a Floyd Rose on his VG-5 but after looking more carefully it looks like a Hipshot Trilogy or something like that.

admin

Quote from: HAMERMAN409 on May 13, 2019, 08:34:19 AM
For a minute thought Sonny had a Floyd Rose on his VG-5 but after looking more carefully it looks like a Hipshot Trilogy or something like that.

YEs Sonny plays in numerous open tunings - he migrated to the Hipshot Triplogy after dumping his Transperformance Les Paul ( it was too heavy)
https://www.sonnylandreth.com/news_archives.php?id=4
http://axcenttuning.com/
He also uses custom flat radius fingerboards  - to facilitate his behind the bar slide technique

Slide Guitar and access to numerous open tunings was my big attraction to the Tronical System ( not the auto tune feature )

Gibson barely promoted this