GK - Bass Photos

Started by Gastric, February 04, 2011, 09:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gastric

I haven't been able to locate a significant amount of GK-3B photos so I thought I'd share my own. Specifically, the damn controller is so huge that I'm forced to use the "overhang" installation which means my instrument will no longer fit into a case as my bridge depth has grown from .75" to a comparatively huge 2" thanks to the bulk of the controller hovering over the bridge. Fun times! :) I'm currently on the hunt for a jazz style instrument that will let me flush-mount to the body. Ignore the black duct tape, it's there temporarily while I experiment with the overall installation.

Elantric

Very cool!

You are correct - I seldom see many "GK-3B" Bass Installations - its worth having a dedicated area for others to post pics of more "GK Bass" installs.

Gastric

Here's a cheap, good playing, but very mediocre sounding, Squier Jazz with a GK-3B pickup screw-mounted. I had to trim the springs down to about 1/3 their factory size but it's rock solid. I figure I'd experiment on an extremely cheap, but well playing, instrument to start. It's absolutely nothing like playing my Laklands, that's for sure. But the COSM instrument modeling in the GR-55 makes it sound excellent.

JCRob

Here´s mine...   I´ve had a blast with this system!!! And just beginning ...

JCRob

WOW  Great photos, great basses!

One question:  For the  second bass, where did you buy that internal bass kit? Is that the GK-KIT-BG3?

fokof

neophytte

Just finished mine tonight; a series of pics are here, but here is the final product:

Now just awaiting the GR-55 to test it out ...  ::)

Cheers

Richard

Gastric

My new Lakland 44-60 installed with the GK-3B kit. This will be my final photo as the GK will live happily ever after on this instrument.  The Squier actually wasn't too bad considering the cheap price used, but I hated how it played, and the stock pickups were totally not Jazz sounding and prone to lots of noise. Probably would've been a great instrument with a few hundred dumped into fret work and aftermarket electronics. But I'm a pretty big Lakland fanboy for the past year or so.

Will probably screw down the pickup eventually. I spent way more time dinking with the tape and spacers, and it's not totally 100% secure since it's adhered to the Lakland bridge and not the body itself. So only very edges/tips of the pickup aren't cemented down. But it gets it to around 20-25mm of the saddles this way.

gumtown

Here is my MIA Fender Jazz V deluxe with a Roland GK-3B fitted to it.

using the GK mounting clamp, no holes drilled here !!
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

JCRob

I love that ice cream white color!!!!

gumtown

Quote from: JCRob on March 08, 2011, 06:17:12 AM
I love that ice cream white color!!!!
It's "Olympic White" (oly) the first time i have had an instrument thats, not mostly black.
The thing i like with the white is with stage lighting, it can be any color you want.. especially with those L.E.D par-cans..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

JCRob

Quote from: gumtown on March 08, 2011, 03:50:58 PM
The thing i like with the white is with stage lighting, it can be any color you want.. especially with those L.E.D par-cans..

Very true...

vakmere

Quote from: JCRob on February 10, 2011, 06:02:05 AM
Here´s mine...   I´ve had a blast with this system!!! And just beginning ...

No way, How did you get that pup in there? i have a Smith 5 and the pup is too wide to go between the bridge and rear pup. Did you move anything or did it barely fit?

JCRob

Quote from: vakmere on March 23, 2011, 09:25:25 AM
No way, How did you get that pup in there? i have a Smith 5 and the pup is too wide to go between the bridge and rear pup. Did you move anything or did it barely fit?

Hahaha it's funny because when I first bought the pickup,  just didn't have the boldness to put it, so Installed it in my Fender jazz bass.  After a year of doing really nothing with it sitting in my house,  I decided it was time to put on my main bass.

With the Ken Smith you have two things:  one is the narrow space between the bridge and pup, and the second is that, because of that narrow space, you see that the hex pup cable can be strangled by the bridge's platform.

But good news:  you can install it anyway!!
Just measure the height that the pup is going to be, and after placing the double-sided tape(s),  you can ALMOST  get rid of the cable strangling problem.

For the first problem: just make sure you squeeze the pup enough so it will be taped (had to reglue that part after one year). Also hold the bridge pup while you do that, so it doesn't go lower than is set up.

For me that was it!!  If you want any other photos, just let me know, and I'll be sure to upload them next week.

Hope this helps man.

vakmere

Quote from: JCRob on March 23, 2011, 10:43:39 AM
Hahaha it's funny because when I first bought the pickup,  just didn't have the boldness to put it, so Installed it in my Fender jazz bass.  After a year of doing really nothing with it sitting in my house,  I decided it was time to put on my main bass.

With the Ken Smith you have two things:  one is the narrow space between the bridge and pup, and the second is that, because of that narrow space, you see that the hex pup cable can be strangled by the bridge's platform.

But good news:  you can install it anyway!!
Just measure the height that the pup is going to be, and after placing the double-sided tape(s),  you can ALMOST  get rid of the cable strangling problem.

For the first problem: just make sure you squeeze the pup enough so it will be taped (had to reglue that part after one year). Also hold the bridge pup while you do that, so it doesn't go lower than is set up.

For me that was it!!  If you want any other photos, just let me know, and I'll be sure to upload them next week.

Hope this helps man.

The photos you have here are fine. Closer look it seems theres a bit of stressing against the rear of the pickup. I'll give it a try.

vakmere

I abandoned installing the 3B on my Smith in favor of putting it on my Roscoe 6'er. The tape secures it well for now. If you think I'm drilling holes in the body of this bass--- U out chur mind. I took it off the Spector to see how it does with 6 strings. Much better however there still some things the 55 cant handle. Either way the learning process, as tediuos as it is, will yield some fun sounds.

Now if I can get some sound clips up that woould be nice. I dont know how at this point however if you can tell me how it's normally done I'll get crackin.

fokof

Nice banjo you got there  !    ;)

fokof

Got a standard GK3B for the Jazz bass and as a Spare for my other piezo bass

Gastric

1980's USA Peavey Fury P-bass. There is just enough room between the bridge and output jack to install the GK controller which is rare for a P-bass style instrument. I opted for a screw mount for the pickup which is my preference, it's so-o-o-o-o-o much easier to setup and adjust than the [seriously] annoying spacers and sticky tape.  Though I still haven't brought myself to drill 2 holes in my Lakland 44-60.

JCRob

My new Pavel Aryel 6 Dlx GK Bass!!!

It sounds AWESOME in its own right, but that GK capability is a +++!!

Maurettoz

Hi all!! i'm new of this forum and new of the gk3b;
that's my bass:

tree

another gk3b / vb-99 user here

fokof

Hey Tree , how's the tapered strings with the VB99 ?

Tapered B strings made the VB synth tracking difficult, changing to full sized string kinda helped.

I never tried with smaller strings ....

jusplayinmybass

My Roscoe SKB3007. Just using tape for the pickup. Lost the knob on my GK3B one day on a gig so I replaced it with the knob from a GK2B that I was given. I use this with a GI20 to control soft synths in Mainstage. Still getting things sorted out. But I am pleased for the most part.

B Easy
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Power comes from a need, not a desire.

Goku

aliensporebomb

Wow that is one serious bass!  Cool!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.