Removing and inserting USB

Started by rocks_are_stupid, February 09, 2018, 04:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocks_are_stupid

Noticed I've got into a habbit of turning my GP 10 off before removing or inserting the USB, started doing this because I was paranoid of corrupting my GP-10.

Is that a habbit I can put to rest?
Original Music/Videos using only the Vguitar
-
www.YouTube.com/YourNewEmpire
www.Instagram.com/Your_New_Empire
www.Facebook.com/YourNewEmpire

Redvers

I doubt devices are talking if you're not editing/saving but it's not a bad habit to have.

gumtown

Usually a good habit to plug the USB before power on and after power off.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

CodeSmart

Quote from: gumtown on February 09, 2018, 05:02:15 AM
Usually a good habit to plug the USB before power on and after power off.
During the development/production of the MIDX-20 I have hot-plugged USB's in and out of GP-10 about 800-2000 times, Katana about 500 times and GT-1/MS-3 maybe 250 times.

Not a single problem.

However the GR-55 I'm afraid of. I've had it corrupt once by sending shitty MIDI data into it.

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Elantric

Quote from: CodeSmart on February 09, 2018, 06:18:21 AM
During the development/production of the MIDX-20 I have hot-plugged USB's in and out of GP-10 about 800-2000 times, Katana about 500 times and GT-1/MS-3 maybe 250 times.

Not a single problem.

However the GR-55 I'm afraid of. I've had it corrupt once by sending shitty MIDI data into it.

I do NOT recommend insert / remove USB cable, Firewire cable, or Thunderbolt cable, or the GK 13 pin cable while gear is powered on

http://slideplayer.com/slide/4825825/
If gear is powered on, there is inrush current to the USB PHY ICs that occurs with each USB cable insertion, and this adds strain on components and leads to premature failure.

all computers built today have "smart" USB ports, and many computer USB ports will become auto- disabled if too much current is being consumed by the connected external  USB gear   

With all my music gear I always make all cable connections and turn volume down before powering ON ,

and I always turn volume down , then Power down before disconnecting any cable , including USB.  - and my 20 year old gear still works

Essentially this same verbiage is included in the most Owners Manuals today.

CodeSmart

Agree. Not good for circuits, noted.

I was mostly referring to the question about the possibility of losing patch memory/settings if you (however not recommended) do hot plug/unplug 1000+ times, and no, I have not seen it happen with my abused and mistreated Boss GP-10 unit.

I'm a bad gear owner, too impatient. I'll probably end up in Silicon hell  :'(
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

rocks_are_stupid

Quote from: Elantric on February 09, 2018, 06:30:51 AM
I always turn volume down , then Power down before disconnecting any cable , including USB.  - and my 20 year old gear still works

You Power down both your desktop AND your gear? or were you refering to just powering down your pedals?
Original Music/Videos using only the Vguitar
-
www.YouTube.com/YourNewEmpire
www.Instagram.com/Your_New_Empire
www.Facebook.com/YourNewEmpire

Elantric

Quote from: rocks_are_stupid on February 09, 2018, 09:02:20 AM
You Power down both your desktop AND your gear? or were you refering to just powering down your pedals?

My gear is only powered on when im using it

I power everything off when im done.

I use a separate computer for internet

vtgearhead

Quote from: Elantric on February 09, 2018, 06:30:51 AM
all computers built today have "smart" USB ports, and many computer USB ports will become auto- disabled if too much current is being consumed by the connected external  USB gear   

<sigh...>  While developing the Fender Mustang bridge code, I had my Beaglebone computer shut down abruptly several times when hot-plugging a USB hub.  It handles it fine at steady state if it's there at initial power-on, but the hot-plug transient is the straw on the camel's back.