GP10 or GR55??

Started by Rei, February 07, 2018, 04:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rei

Hm .. With what it costs (390euro) I believe .. I do not need to do as many things as you read before, I need a few and easier than the GR55 .. I do not understand this thing of E and A that can not playing at the same time .. the GP10 is not polyphonic?
Rei

Smash

If that's about what I said I was talking about the Jam origin it outputs polyphonically. When I use pads via FTP it sends out monophonically so I can add the A&E on top an octave down - bit like the left hand if a keyboard player so bigger pad sounds. So you have all 6 strings as pad plus a&e as additional octave lower. Jam origin cannot do this nor can it do just the top 4 strings.

Hope that makes sense!

If you listen here you can see what I mean about the low e&a having additional octave lower to sound more like a keyboard player:.

Everything you're hearing is coming out of an iPad air 2

alexmcginness

What piano are you using in that demo?
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Elantric

Smash

Quote from: alexmcginness on February 08, 2018, 10:05:11 AM
What piano are you using in that demo?

Sampletank cp piano chorus & grand piano 3 as 6 string pad with rock piano 1 doubled up on bass e and a

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Rei

Yes, I understand what you mean, the JamOrigin is discarded a priori. Nice your video, but frankly I abandoned long ago the idea of ​​\ u200b \ u200bplaying something that could sound much better than a keyboard player, or a midi base rather than a guitarist ... I can not think of arpeggia on my guitar using a sound plan. In these years I have been looking for my sound which is then that of Pino Daniele, or classical guitar, bass on the first two strings, and strings / pads on the remaining ones. Now he had a very expensive system, so in my small way I try to do the same thing with a lot less means (also because I'm much less good than him: -) ... I'm looking for a converter that is not necessarily interfaced with the laptop ( like Fishman), which has the ability to convert the sound of my guitar into midi messages, naturally it must be polyphonic and very small, and I do not have to replace my GK3 .. I think there is little left to say, the choice can be just keep the GR55 or sell it and get a new GP10.
Rei

macminer

I have a long story with guitar synthesizers. Played Casio PG years ago (didn't like it much), then had GK2 + GR33, which worked "sort of", then bought a Godin ACS and this was the biggest leap forward as far as tracking and sound quality is concerned. Then I replaced GK2 with GK3 and installed it on another electric guitar (semi-hollow type), changed strings, tweaked the settings in GR55 and it started tracking almost as good as Godin.

So, from my experience, the success lies in the right combination of guitar pickup and synth settings. Obviously, one needs to play clean - in particular, mute the sounds that shouldn't sound any more, otherwise all brass and wind instruments will sound odd.

Recently I bought GP-10, mainly for its portability. It won't replace my GR55, but I will use it live when I do not need the synth sounds. I checked it with both Godin and GK3 guitars - it seems to work better with GK3 (mainly because the modeling sometimes sounds odd with nylon strings). Tracking is slightly better than with GR55, but not significantly.

One difference between GR33 and GR55 is that in the older unit you could select different picking styles in the settings. When using it as a MIDI controller I always use finger picking techniques, as it seems to better capture various dynamic ranges, so I used to adjust the settings in my GR33 accordingly. If I am not wrong, this setting is nowhere to be found in GR55. Neither is it in GP10.

One more thing: the more harmonics strings produce, the more prone to glitches the synthesizer will be. So I always use softer sounding strings on my GK equipped guitars (like d'Addario flat wound chrome series).

That said, the GR55 certainly has much broader sonoristic possibilities, while GP10 has more realistic modelling and slightly better tracking.

Very ancient site of mine devoted to GR33: http://www.macminer.opoka.com.pl/gr33/

Smash

Quote from: Rei on February 11, 2018, 10:44:07 PM
Yes, I understand what you mean, the JamOrigin is discarded a priori. Nice your video, but frankly I abandoned long ago the idea of ​​\ u200b \ u200bplaying something that could sound much better than a keyboard player, or a midi base rather than a guitarist ... I can not think of arpeggia on my guitar using a sound plan. In these years I have been looking for my sound which is then that of Pino Daniele, or classical guitar, bass on the first two strings, and strings / pads on the remaining ones. Now he had a very expensive system, so in my small way I try to do the same thing with a lot less means (also because I'm much less good than him: -) ... I'm looking for a converter that is not necessarily interfaced with the laptop ( like Fishman), which has the ability to convert the sound of my guitar into midi messages, naturally it must be polyphonic and very small, and I do not have to replace my GK3 .. I think there is little left to say, the choice can be just keep the GR55 or sell it and get a new GP10.

So you want bass on low e and A, acoustic on all 6 and synth pad underneath - is that right? Pretty sure GP10 won't achieve that as only one COSM model available at one time

macminer

Quote from: Smash on February 16, 2018, 09:39:44 AM
So you want bass on low e and A, acoustic on all 6 and synth pad underneath - is that right? Pretty sure GP10 won't achieve that as only one COSM model available at one time

No, certainly this is impossible with GP-10.
On the other hand, on my GR55 I have lots of patches I created myself exactly in this style (or more often - bass on all low three strings). I think I have already shared them on this forum years ago. If they cannot be found online anymore, I can post them in a couple of days.

Actually, on GR55 you can do it in three ways:

• PU sound on all strings + PCM pad + PCM bass
  • PU sound on all strings + PCM pad + modelled bass
  • PU sound on all strings + modelled pad (limited, but useful) + PCM bass

germanicus

Quote from: macminer on February 16, 2018, 09:05:47 AM

One difference between GR33 and GR55 is that in the older unit you could select different picking styles in the settings. When using it as a MIDI controller I always use finger picking techniques, as it seems to better capture various dynamic ranges, so I used to adjust the settings in my GR33 accordingly. If I am not wrong, this setting is nowhere to be found in GR55. Neither is it in GP10.

I believe the following (GP10) gives you the same degree of control:

• Dynamics
    Adjusts the sensitivity of the tone's volume (velocity) change.
    The further you raise this setting, the more easy it becomes to produce higher values
    for velocity.
    Play Feel
    Adjusts the velocity change curve of the tone.
    FEEL1–4
    FEEL1 is the mode that gives sounds the broadest variation in volume
    based on the picking dynamics. As the setting number is increased,
    it becomes easier to produce high volume sounds even with weaker
    picking. This allows you to play with consistent volume, whether you tap
    the strings or use rough picking.
    NO DYNA In this mode, sounds are played at a fixed volume regardless of the
    picking strength.
    Low Velo Cut Adjust this if simply touching a string causes a note to be unintentionally triggered.
    Raising this value will make it more difficult to trigger notes.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

macminer

Quote from: germanicus on February 16, 2018, 10:29:32 AM
I believe the following (GP10) gives you the same degree of control:

Dynamics
Adjusts the sensitivity of the tone's volume (velocity) change.
The further you raise this setting, the more easy it becomes to produce higher values
for velocity.
Play Feel

Yes, you are right. The difference being that in GR33 it was a patch setting, while in GP10 this is a system setting.

Rei

I thank everyone for the latest answers.

I know very well the GR55, on facebook I manage a group dedicated to the GR55 and I try to help the guys to use it to the fullest.
Also I had a "history" of GSynth passing through GR33, GR50, GI20 and finally GR55, as I have already explained above, over the years I have come to the conclusion that I do not really care to play a sax or piano with the guitar .. Basically I use the synth in this way: Godin Multiac SA + GR55, classical guitar sound + Bass on E & A strings, the other 4 strings strings or pads controlled by the pedal.

Now I know that with the GR55 this is possible and without a laptop connected, because the GR55 has PCM sounds and I can overlap 2, without the VST sounds coming out of the laptop.

Vice versa with the GP10 I can have: classical guitar sound + bass on E & A strings + arcs and VST pad on laptop. I have no PCM on the GP10, the PCM sound is generated by the VST synth I have on the laptop and the pilot through the GP10 midi OUT.

I can control the volume by acting on the pedal of the GP10 and transmitting a DC to the VST by creating an assignment exactly as I would have done with the GR55. I know I can do this I read the GP10 manual.

I know that the GR55 is more versatile and has many more control parameters than the GP10 but the GP10 has from its:

- it costs half of the GR55
- it is also half as clutter, therefore easily transportable
- it's modern, the GR55 now has a few years.
- the sounds are not bad, they can come in handy for some situations where you do not want to carry your heavy amp and pedalboard with you, go to the mixer and you're good to go.
- The GP10 has a tracking slightly higher than the GR55.
- Use the same system as the GR55 (GK3 pickup or RMC), so I do not have to change anything on my guitars.
- Reamp on my DAW
- 8 SEPARATE audio channels (wow)

In short, this GP10 I really like ...

I spoke to you because you have more experience of me for advice on the limits that I would have encountered, but I think at this point we can say that there are none. And anyway I sold my GR55 two days ago and now I will buy a GP10.

To me all the small / large features of the GR55 as a loop machine or audio player, I did not need to find them bulky. I bought it five years ago because the GP10 did not exist yet ..

I apologize to you but I am Italian from Rome and I have to translate with google translate.

Greetings to all of you Americans, what do you think? Will President Trump do world or only local damage? XD
Rei

chrish

Quote"Will President Trump do world or only local damage? XD"

Glad you found your way to the gp10, judging from The Sounds here in the patches it sounds pretty good.

About that other thing. We generally find that forums that don't discuss politics or religion to be more pleasant places to socialize. Those two issues tend to be hot button topics.

A lot of that has to do with trying to communicate here without being able to see facial expressions or hear speech  inflections which give us social cues in face-to-face real world conversations.

On the interweb, I've seen lots of conversations misinterpreted.

Yohanes

Hi Rei,

Glad you have decided to pick GP-10, hope you will find much enjoyment with this wonderful pedal and can share your opinion (experience) about it (the strength or weakness or anything you think you would like to say about it).

About politics and religion, we here in Indonesia will kill each other just because different faith, start by googling "Ahok".

Cheers.
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50