SY-300 - Grouping patches

Started by Zow, February 04, 2018, 10:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zow

Am new to the SY 300, am trying to find a way to group patches. For example song 1 will use patches 78-81, so I only want those patches active on the sy-300 to scroll up and down via cntrl2 and 3. Or if I have a song set of 10 songs that is using patches 68-78, is there a way to activate just those patches on the sy300 for scrolling up and down via cntrl 2 and 3 footswitches. 

Brak(E)man

The easiest way to arrange patches in order is with the BTS librarian.
Then you can save as many sets as you wish.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by only those patches active.
If you mean that you want them in that order , then yes.
(If you mean that those patches should be the only sounding ones.
Yes you can BUT you'd have the rest of the user patches empty or silent.)
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

gumtown

There is a system/global setting for "Patch Extent", where you set the minimum and maximum patch number,
and then the patch up/down scrolling will only pass through those selection of patches,
once you go past the maximum patch number, it will scroll back to the minimum patch number, in a circular motion.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Brak(E)man

Quote from: gumtown on February 04, 2018, 12:16:38 PM
There is a system/global setting for "Patch Extent", where you set the minimum and maximum patch number,
and then the patch up/down scrolling will only pass through those selection of patches,
once you go past the maximum patch number, it will scroll back to the minimum patch number, in a circular motion.

Good to know,
Learning a new thing every day on this forum  :)
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Zow

Thx for the responses guys. I think I understand a little better now. In Boss Tone studio, on the Librarian tab I see the list of patches u01-p70
I can drag and drop them to change order
On the live set list I can select a patch and delete it or drag it to the left to what I am assuming is the current live set on the pedal.
If I choose one of my live sets (Roundabout) that has patches 1-4, and apply liveset, it will overwrite just the 1st 4 patches from the previous set with those from the roundabout set, but patches 5,6,7, etc stays unchanged.

So if I am playing the song roundabout, and thru that song I want to play roundabout patches in the order of 1,2,3,4,2,3 I basically have to create the liveset with that order. Which means that I have to create that order for every song in my bands song setlist. Was hoping there was a simpler way to do this. Perhaps I can change the function of the control pedals so that cntrl 2 = patch 2, contrl 3 = patch 3, contrl 4 = patch 4 ?

gumtown

That is where I have preferred a midi controller (or the Boss GT effects boards) which have Bank up/Bank Down and 5 patch select pedals.
I find patch scrolling with only 2 pedals to be quite an annoying process.
A midi controller give you instant access to any patch, the SY-300 has midi in for that if you want expanded patch select capabilities.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gobi

Quote from: gumtown on February 04, 2018, 12:16:38 PM
I dont get this.... do you mean "progarm map"? and what is Bank 1 and 0 ?
Would this be a way to avoid P01-P99 ?
...sorry  for my bad english, i'm from germany

admin

Quote from: gobi on February 07, 2018, 08:43:44 AM
I dont get this.... do you mean "progarm map"? and what is Bank 1 and 0 ?
Would this be a way to avoid P01-P99 ?
the SY300 Patch Extent feature restricts the available  patch range - useful if you use the patch up / down foot switches at live gig

gumtown

Lets look at a midi pedal layout such as the Boss GT-100.
It has 5 Patch pedals 1,2,3,4,5 and 2 Bank pedals, Up and Down.
You press a patch pedal to select a patch 1~5,
then press the Bank Up pedal, now you can select patch 6~10 from the patch pedals,
and keep incrementing the patch groups by 5 as you press the Bank up pedal.
This gives you instant access to any patch without having to scroll through groups of other patches to reach your destination.

The SY-300 has only Patch up/Patch down, so to get from U01 to U05, you must scroll through 2,3,4 to get to U05.
But by plugging a midi foot controller into the SY-300, you can access specific patches without the need to scroll through the range.

If you only use a very few patches, a feature in the SY-300 is to limit the patch selection range,
if you only use 5 patches live, you can set the Patch Range selection from U01 to U05,
so as you scroll up, the selection goes 1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1  round and round the same group of patches.

Zow

Thanks again all for such informative feedback, this is a great forum! Indulge me while I quest further on this topic. I have a DTech rp500 which does not appear to be useful for this situation since it has no midi port, but i do have an old Boss GR33 pedal that I have started using again since finding software that allows me to bypass using the gk pickup. How can I use that pedal as a midi controller pedal for the SY? Trying to leverage my existing gear where possible and get the SY more usable in live performance ;+)