Driverless MIDI - USB interface that powers a MIDI device?

Started by mooncaine, February 03, 2018, 09:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

Anybody know a driverless MIDI interface I could plug into USB that will power a MIDI device? I have a MIDI Solutions box that I need to reprogram, but nothing I've got seems to power it.

I already tried:
MIDISport 2 (no drivers for newer Macs)
MIDX-10
IconnectMIDI4+

Please! I have a Virtual Jeff that wants to come out and play, but he needs a MIDI massage.

CodeSmart

Not sure I understand everything, but the MIDX-10 and the first batch of MIDX-20 (fixed in batch 2 and newer) share a hardware bug that can be fixed.
Here's how to do it ( note picture is MIDX-20, but MIDX-10 is similar ):
The center pin of OUT connector should be tied to ground.

The problem showed when I customer wanted to put wireless stuff into the MIDI OUT and it could not be powered. After reviewing the MIDI hardware spec I realized I had made a mistake.

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

mooncaine

Wow, thanks! I'll open up the MIDX-10 and try to grok this. I'll ask for help after taking a look inside.

mooncaine

OK, I've got a question or three.

What do you mean by 'use a knife to scrape off paint then solder so pin2 contacts ground plane'?

What's the 'ground plane'?

Should I scrape paint off the top off the board, or the bottom? I think I see the area that you circled on your drawing. Could you help with a little more info? Thanks!

CodeSmart

Often when you make a two-sided PCB you try to shield it off from the surrounding (emission, noise and such) by applying a "ground plane" on the underside of the board. The "ground plane" is the rectangular cupper area covering the entire board underside (except for the occasional wires you have to draw on the underside using via holes). This large cupper area is covered by paint.

To access the metal of the ground plane you have to use a sharp object to carefully remove the paint to get it "solderable".

In this case you just carefully remove (by scraping with small knife, file or a small instrument screwdriver) the underside paint abt 2-3 mm circular around the center pin of the connector MIDI OUT, and then apply a little solder so you get a electrical connection between the pin "island" and the "ocean" of cupper you just made visible around it. Use a small soldering tool and never exceed 300 deg C.

When you have a bridge over the ocean to the island the pin will be connected to ground, and off you go!

You got it?
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!