Steinberger returns

Started by Elantric, February 01, 2018, 11:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://www.steinberger.com/
Steinberger reintroduces the legendary Spirit Collection featuring the revolutionary "headless" design, all-wood construction, and high performance pickups that changed the guitar world forever. Affordable, ergonomic, and easy to play, the new Spirit Collection offers guitarists and bassists big sound you can take anywhere, even airline overhead compartments. The Spirit Collection are full size instruments with standard-scale fingerboards that tune at the bridge so there's no heavy headstock. Featuring the classic GT-PRO Deluxe Guitar and XT-2 and XT-25 Bass with more models to come. Now with Gibson Brands Limited Lifetime Warranty and 365/24/7 Customer Service.

Hello 21ˢᵗ Century. What took you so long?

Steinberger GT-PRO Deluxe Outfit
Classic Steinberger Design with R-Trem™ System plus Deluxe Gigbag

COLORS + DETAILS BUY NOW

OVERVIEW
• Steinberger is the Ultimate Travel Guitar™

• Patented R-Trem™ and 40:1 Ratio Direct-Pull Systems

• Available in Black, Frost Blue, Hot Rod Red, Hot Rod Yellow, White,  and Yin Yang Gloss finishes

• Includes Deluxe Gigbag

Steinberger presents the new GT-PRO Deluxe Outfit, the Ultimate Travel Guitar™ featuring the revolutionary Steinberger body design in Black, Frost Blue, Hot Rod Red, Hot Rod Yellow, White, and Yin Yang Gloss finishes. The Steinberger GT-PRO includes the patented 40:1 Ratio Direct-Pull tuning and locking R-Trem™ tremolo systems plus a 3-pc Hard Maple neck with adjustable truss rod for an incredible sounding guitar that's practically indestructible. The GT-PRO Deluxe Outfit is part of the new Steinberger Spirit Collection and includes a deluxe gigbag.

Revolutionary Steinberger Design

There was nothing like Ned Steinberger's guitars and basses when they were first introduced in 1979. Today, with their lightweight and headless design, Steinberger guitars are still bold, modern instruments that offer players both a smooth tonal response and rock solid intonation at any position on the neck while giving soloists a more pronounced single note attack not available from typical guitar designs.

The GTR-PRO 6-string electric guitar features the revolutionary Steinberger design with a Poplar body and 3-pc Hard Maple neck for an instrument that resonates as a single piece of wood. For traveling musicians, the GT-PRO is the Ultimate Travel Guitar™. At only 30.25" long, its ergonomic design makes it easy to take anywhere including overhead airline compartments. And thanks to its headless construction and 3-pc Hard Maple neck, the GT-PRO isn't as sensitive to temperature changes as typical guitars, which makes it virtually indestructible! The neck has a comfortable 1960's style SlimTaper™-D profile with a Granadilla fingerboard, 24 medium jumbo frets, and a 14" radius. A folding leg rest sits compactly on the lower bout of the guitar. A deluxe gig bag is included. An optional hard case is also available.

Patented R-Trem™ Tremolo and 40:1 Ratio Direct-Pull Systems

Steinberger necks provide players slightly extended spacing at the upper frets and can maintain incredibly accurate intonation under intense shredding. With no headstock, the GT-PRO has a Zero Nut Fret with a width of 1.625 that moves up to 2.04" at the 12th fret as the neck subtly widens to 0.42" string spacing at the bridge. The bridge has steel saddles with Steinberger's patented R-Trem™ Locking Tremolo and 40:1 Ratio Direct-Pull tuning systems. Unlocked, the R-Trem is capable of extreme dive-bombing as well as pull-ups. Locked, the R-Trem acts like a fixed bridge. Since there is no headstock, the weight of the GT-PRO feels more balanced than a typical guitar. Fine tuning adjustments are made at the bridge and string changes can be made fast! The Steinberger GT-PRO is set up at the factory with Steinberger DoubleBall™ 10-46 strings. Plus, with the Single Ball string adopter, you can set also set up the GT-PRO with regular strings.

Versatile Pickups

The Steinberger GT-PRO is powered by Steinberger's versatile humbucker pickups in the neck (HB-2) and bridge (HB-1) positions along with full-range Steinberger SC-1 single coil pick up in the middle position. Controls include Master Volume, Master Control, and a 5-way pickup selector.

Limited Lifetime Warranty

As part of the Gibson Brands Family of Instruments, the Steinberger GT-PRO Deluxe Outfit comes with a Limited Lifetime Guarantee and 24/7/365 Gibson Customer Service. Visit your Authorized Steinberger Dealer today and bring home a Steinberger GT-PRO Deluxe Outfit!

Steinberger GT-PRO Deluxe Outfit Specifications

Finish: Gloss

Neck Material: 3-pc Hard Maple

Body Top: AAA Quilt Maple Veneer

Body Material: Poplar

Neck Shape: 1960's SlimTaper™; D profile

Fingerboard: Granadilla

Fingerboard Radius: 14"

Frets: 24; Medium-Jumbo

Scale Length   25.5"

Zero Nut Width: 1.625

12th Fret Width: 2.04"

Bridge:   Locking R-Trem™ Tremolo System

Saddle Material: Steel

Bridge String Spacing: 0.42"

Tuning System: Patented 40:1 Ratio Direct-Pull

Neck Pickup: Steinberger HB-2

Middle Pickup: Steinberger SC-1

Bridge Pickup: Steinberger HB-1

Controls:

Master Volume

Master Tone

5-Way Pickup Selector

Hardware: Black

Output Jack: Premium 1/4" Barrel-Style

Strings: Steinberger DoubleBall™ 10-46

Other: Fold Down/Up Leg Rest

Colors: Black (BK), Frost Blue (FB), Hot Rod Red (HR), Hot Rod Yellow (HY), White (WH), Yin Yang (YY)

Includes: Deluxe Gigbag

Weight: 7.0 lbs

Length: 30.25"

Optional:

Single Ball String Adaptor (#STADG06)

Hard Case (#ST-A0190-BL)

Case UPC = 711106370224

Warranty: Steinberger Limited Lifetime

Service: 1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766)

service@gibson.com

About the Steinberger Spirit Collection
Steinberger—home of the Ultimate Travel Guitar™ presents the new Spirit Collection of electric guitars and basses. Featuring the legendary Steinberger lightweight headless design, patented 40:1 Ratio Direct-Pull tuning system, patented locking R-Trem™ tremolo systems, a deluxe gigbag, Steinberger pickups, and beautiful color finishes.

The Steinberger Spirit Collection features the GT-PRO and "Quilt Top" Deluxe 6-string Outfits, the XT-2 Standard 4-string Bass Outfit, the XT-2DB 4-string bass with DB-Tuner™, and the 5-string XT-25 Standard and Quilt Top Standard Outfits. Each instrument is also available as a left-handed model. And as a member of the Gibson Family of Brands, every Steinberger instrument comes with a Limited Lifetime Guarantee and 24/7/365 Gibson Customer Service. Step into the future with the Steinberger Spirit Collection at Authorized Steinberger Dealers everywhere.

BackDAWman

I'd love to see the return of the ZT3. Or, if I really want to dream big, the GL series with 21st century improvements...

Elantric

Quote from: BackDAWman on February 01, 2018, 11:38:50 AM
I'd love to see the return of the ZT3. Or, if I really want to dream big, the GL series with 21st century improvements...

Luckily I located a ZT3 6 months ago

http://images.epiphone.com/STEINBERGER/ZT3Manual.pdf

ZT-3 Custom: Since the introduction of the first Steinberger instruments in 1980, the Steinberger name has become synonymous with evolution, innovation, ergonomics and performance. Continuing that tradition, Steinberger announces the new ZT3™ guitar with the revolutionary new version of the TransTrem™ transposing tremolo system. As it was with the introduction of the first Steinberger's equipped with the original TransTrem, the new ZT3 is the world's ONLY guitar capable of transposing keys and bending chords in pitch. Simply move the tremolo arm to the un-locked playing position and dial in your key. The TransTrem can take you from standard "E" tuning up to "F" and then to "F#" or down to "Eb" or way down to "D." Lock in the key by moving the arm back and you're ready for anything. And, when locked, the tremolo acts much like a "fixed" bridge in that sustain is improved and should you break a string, the other strings still stay in tune. In the un-locking position, the TransTrem acts like a regular tremolo capable of extreme pitch bending with smooth and renowned Steinberger accuracy.

But the ZT3 isn't just about the TransTrem. This new "Z" design created by Ned Steinberger is a HYBRID instrument combining the strength, rigidity and clarity of graphite with the warmth and beauty of wood. At the heart of it's construction is our Cybrosonic™ neck featuring our patented graphite U-channel with adjustable truss rod uniquely crafted into a 3-piece, hard maple neck. We then add a smooth and durable phenolic fingerboard to create an instrument with distinctive tonal clarity, sustain, "pop" and response as well as excellent stability.

Two custom-made USA humbuckers combined with an innovative switching system lets you tap into 8 different combintations. By using a push/pull switch on both the volume and the tone controls, you can use the ZT3's pickups "in series" as you would other two humbucker-equipped instruments but also "in parallel" to create single-coil tones but without the noise typically associated with stand-alone single coil pickups. The result is a guitar that works for a variety of styles – from rock to blues, jazz to country.

Other features include a a gorgeous flame maple top, zero-fret for improved intonation, the new Steinberger Combo headpiece to allow for the use of DoubleBall™ and single ball strings and our patented Direct-Drive double-ball bridge with 40:1 tuners for tuning ease, accuracy and stability that only a Steinberger can provide. With Steinberger, you can change strings in seconds, tune up once and not have to tune again until you change strings again. Provided with a premium, padded gigbag, the ZT3 also makes a great travel instrument measuring only about 35" in length and capable of fitting into the tightest of places including overhead airplane bins. The result is a guitar of unequalled performance, comfort and flexibility. Steinberger - State of the Instrument.

https://www.web.archive.org/web/20160622160753/http://www.steinberger.com/zt3.html

Elantric

Quote from: BackDAWman on February 01, 2018, 12:14:58 PM
Would you like to sell it?  ;D

Never! - it took 5 years to locate one !

HAMERMAN409

I would love to see the full graphite GL and XL come back but am still happy to see Steinberger come back in any form. A Lefty Spirit GT Pro with a GK pickup is one of my favorite gigging guitars as of late.

Now to see if a left handed yellow Spirit GT-Pro is going to be a possibility.

The black and white one shown in the first photo is pretty cool - what I imagine Michael Schenker playing if he used a Steinberger! :-)

HAMERMAN409

Just checked and it looks like anything left handed is black. Oh well....

HecticArt

I'd love them to do a full graphite again too. It's one of my white whales that I GAS over.
If these get good reviews, I might pick one up, but I don't know if it would make my quest for a graphite even worse.

whippinpost91850

A lefty would be pretty awesome

joaobraga

frummox

Any mention of price? I bought a used Hohner/Steinberger a couple of years ago and mounted a TriplePlay pickup (took some doing). I originally bought it to have something to play in my computer chair which has arms. I thought the instrument itself was a little bit of a mixed bag. The neck was a bit chunky which was not really to my taste (I read one guy actually shaved it down but I only paid $250 for the instrument so that would have been overkill). Personally I find EMG pickups sort of colorless but the new Spirit claims to feature Humbuckers. The tremolo arm on mine was stiff almost to the point of unusable. I was able to try a new Spirit a couple of years ago in a music store and it exhibited a similar tendency. Also, on my used instrument the tremolo arm would literally fall out if I turned the instrument upside down! Its not screwed in but held in place by a nylon ball that is pushed against it by a small screw (R-Trem mechanism). Luckily the same ball and screw was on the top side too so I switched them. Arm still sort of loose but doesn't fall out. The tuners were also quite stiff. I added nylon washers and lubricated which helps a bit, but I still keep a Phillips head screwdriver handy to turn them. All and all the instrument does the job but I play my TriplePlay Strat HSS more these days.

HecticArt

So what's the difference between the "Steinberger Returns" guitars and the Steinbergers that Guitar Center has been selling for the last several years?

HecticArt

And what is this? ? ? ?

It's from Steinberger's Twitter site.

Beirne

Quote from: HecticArt on February 03, 2018, 08:40:19 PM
So what's the difference between the "Steinberger Returns" guitars and the Steinbergers that Guitar Center has been selling for the last several years?
Looks like a brand relaunch as a Gibson product.

And they lost the neck thru design as well as the strap horn from the synapse
Bass.
www.intangiblesny.com
www.facebook.com/intangiblesband

mooncaine

What makes you say they stopped using a neck-thru design? I haven't yet seen any details about that, but I notice they say these guitars have a poplar body. I've been told that the Spirit GT-PRO guitars that I have (I've got 3) are completely maple. I'd like to know more about this, if you've got anything.

HecticArt

The current website says that they are still neck-thru. They list poplar as the wings instead of maple.
Other than that......

Weren't they already being made by (for) Gibson over the last several years? Looking at the forum portion of the Steinberger website, which is a Gibson products website, the posts go back 10 years. Synapse is gone, but GC has been selling Spirits for several years. The 2018's that are supposed to be coming out are still labeled Spirit. I'm trying to figure out what's changed.

Redvers

+1 for a lefty gk model. I'd love that.

Smash

mooncaine

Quote from: HecticArt on February 04, 2018, 01:02:22 AMWeren't they already being made by (for) Gibson over the last several years?
I'm trying to figure out what's changed.
No, they weren't continuously available for years. I checked periodically, at least once a year, because I love these guitars. So much, that I wanted a spare. Then I wanted another as a project guitar. I couldn't get a new one for a few years.

When I saw someone actually confirm that a new one of these had actually been delivered, I shopped, found & bought. The guitar that came to me was in such sad shape, I couldn't help but suspect that they were not making new ones after all. This looked like a guitar someone would have sent back, and that's what I did. I had great guarantee terms, IMO, because they shipped me the replacement immediately. My obligation was to return the rejected guitar in the 2nd one's box within a couple of weeks, maybe it was 30 days.

Which was perfect, because I now briefly had 2 'new' ones to compare, and I had a community like this one, but of Steinberger enthusiasts, to help me examine them. Guitar #2 showed troubling signs, but at least it wasn't crippled like guitar #1. Its bridge worked. I kept it and sent back #1. The reason I kept it was because I thought the makers might have already quit making them, and these might be the last run, or last available. I like this guitar style enough that I want to be *sure* I've got one ready to use.

When I looked at the product photos for the new (2018) guitars, I see that the blue sparkly one suffers the same flaw that made me send back #1 in this story. It's the master tension knob. It's sticking out way too far. Next time someone leans it against a wall, that knob's shaft could bend, as did the one on guitar #1. On both #1 and #2 of these 'new' guitars delivered in 2017, that knob is on a shaft that's too long. I compared them to the ones I already had.

mooncaine

Just to be clear: I recommend this guitar.

But only with a satisfaction guarantee, at least 2 weeks. I'd say that for any guitar, though.I bought mine from Epiphone via Amazon. Based on my experience returning the problematic guitar, I recommend them and I would buy from them again.

I probably will, too. I like the 2-tone one.

HecticArt

Cool. Thanks moon.

I'm still trying to figure out what's going to be different in 2018 though. Is it that Ned is involved with Gibson/Steinberger again?

Headless68

may be cynical on this one - I suspect Ned is involved from a marketing only perspective - these designs have nothing new & are based on the cheaper (but good) all wood design with the cheapest trem.
Nothing buzzing on the Steinberger group or FB group.
different colors + a flame top is it
good that Gibson has not completely scrapped Steinberger though - hope yet.

I thought it odd that headless design has been steadily building a market with strandburg and Kiesel plus a handful of bespoke makes yet gibson snooze and dont push the key brand that brought it to the market in the first place.

Elantric

Quote from: Headless68 on February 06, 2018, 01:29:44 PM
yet gibson snooze and dont push the key brand that brought it to the market in the first place.
http://first-thoughts.org/on/Henry+Juszkiewicz/
Quote"That's how you learn—by making mistakes. If you're making mistakes, you're winning." Henry Juszkiewicz, CEO, Gibson Guitar Corporation

HecticArt

Quote from: Elantric on February 06, 2018, 01:35:41 PM
http://first-thoughts.org/on/Henry+Juszkiewicz/
"That's how you learn—by making mistakes. If you're making mistakes, you're winning." Henry Juszkiewicz, CEO, Gibson Guitar Corporation"
A quote you can take to the bank.......
or not....