Boss Launches the GT 1000

Started by Mark Haydon, January 24, 2018, 12:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Quote from: hsuru4u on January 26, 2018, 10:40:18 AM
. To me katana has nothing to do with the gt1000 in any way or form.

The Katana is all digital. There seems to be common consent that it has great touch response - cleans up if you back off/roll back the guitar vol. That's nothing to do with any power amp trickery but everything to do with the pre amp. It would make sense that Boss use whatever developments/latest emulations theyve made as basis for the latest floor flagship (to me at any rate). Who knows it may have a power amp emulator. I'd think there would be some sharing of DNA but just guessing.

I think to write it off based on frustration with demo vids and patch presets (Never their strong point) may be a bit naive.

Boss modelling has come a bit since gt100.

The price point to me suggests decent dsp grunt under the hood born out by the routing screen shot and 3 instances of fx blocks over usual one or two at most.

Yeah I agree the large patch numbers might initially look counter intuitive but definitely quicker to read against a numbered setlist cw words. Maybe it might have selectable display modes - it might not (which I guess would be a little disapointing).

I guess ultimately we're all a bit hacked off that they be failed to show it's true potential at launch.

End of the day I'm still using vg99 despite limitations particularly in the amp sims because I can't get the feature set anywhere else.

Sevenmodes

Quote from: HecticArt on January 26, 2018, 02:26:37 PM
At this point, the hangup seems to be that they didn't put the effort into a solid promo demonstration. It's hard to know exactly what it will do with the little that we've seen and heard. There may be a ton under the hood that will be impressive, but we won't know for a while. It's a missed opportunity to create a lot of buzz when something like this gets released. Time will tell.

Seems like they were pushing to get it out for NAMM. In at least one of the demos, the rep says that it's not fully programmed yet and that it won't be out for a few "months". I'm guessing they're still in the stage where they can say what it will do, but haven't finished final programming. Hence the limited demos.

I remember when the MS-3 came out, they were ready to go and had already farmed out several demos to the usual peddlers (sorry for the pun). It seems they're playing a little behind the ball with this one.

hsuru4u

i would hope boss will release a 2-12 stereo katana..i mean to make those effects really shine like blackstar has done with the id260tvp amp(which i own and love)

Brak(E)man

Being not interested in the Gt1000
I see one thing that might change things around.
Having 32 floating might be the gamechanger.
The difference between 16 & 24 is IMO slight
But the difference between 24 or 32 & 32 floating is huge.
Everyone that wants a more " dynamic " feel should be satisfied.

(I'm happy with the VG8 16 bit though,
and I'm still hoping for a new VG xxxxx or a GP 50 K
merged with a 13 pin SY 3 million
pref with a string PCM / sampler)

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

myksara

was super excited to read that BOSS has launched a new multifx unit..equally disappointed to know that it is just another amp modeller and effects as an upgrade to the already powerful gt100...

had high hopes that it will be something like a gr55 with all those sounds and more...
upset
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

bond19

Quote from: myksara on January 27, 2018, 06:02:53 AM
was super excited to read that BOSS has launched a new multifx unit..equally disappointed to know that it is just another amp modeller and effects as an upgrade to the already powerful gt100...

had high hopes that it will be something like a gr55 with all those sounds and more...
upset

Time will tell, I ordered mine a few days ago.

Paresh

I'm interested, pending more videos of the sound. I would still keep my VG-99 however. I can switch between 13 pin and mags from my guitar, but would there be a way to route mags to VG, GT, or both?? Routing isn't my strong point. Thanks.
paresh

Joemexistrat

Honestly watching all the current NAMM footage on this thing. Sounds like the typical Boss COSM device. Very lifeless, sounds like a rushed product to market. I would honestly pay for for a better unit like a Fractal AxeFX II +, even a ISP Theta at the same price range absolutely SMOKES the GT-1000. I think they just don't have what it takes to play with the bug boys of modeling. Price point should be more like $600-700 range maybe, 

hsuru4u

vg-99 and even vg-8ex have amazing potential if you really dig in even compared to the stuff of 2018. Sure the amp models are not the current fair but still work really well. The whole guitar 13 pin thing is STILL killer.Like i said you have to dig in but once you do its pretty amazing.

hsuru4u

sounds like my g5n using choptones patches.

Panthersn

Quote from: Joemexistrat on January 27, 2018, 12:31:49 PM
Honestly watching all the current NAMM footage on this thing. Sounds like the typical Boss COSM device. Very lifeless, sounds like a rushed product to market. I would honestly pay for for a better unit like a Fractal AxeFX II +, even a ISP Theta at the same price range absolutely SMOKES the GT-1000. I think they just don't have what it takes to play with the bug boys of modeling. Price point should be more like $600-700 range maybe,

Is it just the same old COSM?  I can't seem to find any info, just "BIG DISPLAY & AIRD".  The best info video seems to be the Sweetwater but even then its a little vague.   Not giving up hope just yet.

Sevenmodes

Quote from: Panthersn on January 29, 2018, 05:45:33 PM
Is it just the same old COSM?  I can't seem to find any info, just "BIG DISPLAY & AIRD".  The best info video seems to be the Sweetwater but even then its a little vague.   Not giving up hope just yet.

No, it's not COSM. It's a new modeling process called AIRD, which is IR based. There's no way to tell whether it will be a significant improvement over COSM or not until it's released in March and we can go test one out.

For the record, I've always preferred COSM tech over the Line 6 algorithms anyway especially in live settings, so I actually hope they didn't "improve" it too much.

Redvers

Quote from: Brak(E)man on January 27, 2018, 01:13:53 AM
The difference between 16 & 24 is IMO slight
But the difference between 24 or 32 & 32 floating is huge.

I would argue that the difference between 16 and 24, although smaller than 24-32, is more noticeable because 16bit is such a small depth. 32bit is in the realm where the audio hardware reaches its limits anyway and there is little benefit.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Redvers on January 30, 2018, 04:11:41 AM
I would argue that the difference between 16 and 24, although smaller than 24-32, is more noticeable because 16bit is such a small depth. 32bit is in the realm where the audio hardware reaches its limits anyway and there is little benefit.

I'd say that the 32-bit floating-point processing if it exists in this product :-? are a HUGE improvement over anything else I've come across.

when recording mixing and mastering. 16.24.32 are a bit different(not that much though) but 32-bit floating-point processing is way way up there. having no experience with a guitar processor with 32-bit floating-point 96Khz I wouldn't know but I'd assume it'd make a great impact on the sound and "feel" (wathever that means)
but no arguing here
if it works and float your boat , 8 bit might be good or great depending on what one wants to do  :)
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Redvers

Quote from: Brak(E)man on January 30, 2018, 05:44:46 AM
if it works and float your boat , 8 bit might be good or great depending on what one wants to do  :)

8 bit would be 256 times worse than cd quality! I'm sure someone would find a use for it though.

gumtown

8 bit?
That was back in the mid 80's when I brought a Creative Labs "SoundBlaster" mono 8 bit soundcard,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster

My first venture into the PC world DAW.
I think it came with a DOS version of Voyetra Sequencer.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

Quote from: Brak(E)man on January 30, 2018, 05:44:46 AM
I'd say that the 32-bit floating-point processing if it exists in this product :-? are a HUGE improvement over anything else I've come across.

Must not be aware of the InMusic HeadRush FX
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19875.0
Yes 32 bit does make a difference ( been demoing a Headrush for past three months ) and at this hour I prefer Headrush to GT-1000 ( the Headrush is a breeze to edit and program at gig
http://www.headrushfx.com/
the HeadRush Pedalboard also supports all common wave formats (wav, aiff), sample rates (up to 192kHz) and bit depths (up to 32-bit).

Smash

When i first looked at Headrush i couldnt find any decent drive tones online - all online vids I've seen are underwhelming. What's the best demo out there to get best idea? It's a good looking piece of kit

admin

Quote from: Smash on February 06, 2018, 12:00:28 PM
When i first looked at Headrush i couldnt find any decent drive tones online - all online vids I've seen are underwhelming. What's the best demo out there to get best idea? It's a good looking piece of kit

InMusic HeadRush FX

sixeight

Quote( been demoing a Headrush for past three months )

Really? You kept that quiet.
How do you like it so far?

I definitely think it is the coolest looking multieffect pedal out there.

admin

Quote from: sixeight on February 06, 2018, 12:30:53 PM
Really? You kept that quiet.
How do you like it so far?

I definately think it is the coolest looking multieffect pedal out there.

ITs fast, its easy to program and it sounds good to me

Some nag the Headrush reverbs are NOT as lush as competing MFX, but for my needs HeadRush sounds infinitely better than Avid Eleven Rack ( which Headrush is based upon)
I have Kemper, Helix, Headrush, and I find its easier to get working tones with Headrush vs the others. 

Smash

Listening to video there's only one point I noticed him roll off the Tele volume - I wasn't convinced but it's such a short clip.

Be interested to know how do you find it cleans up to, say, Katanas trick?

bond19

Quote from: admsustainiac on February 06, 2018, 08:52:21 AM
Must not be aware of the InMusic HeadRush FX
Yes 32 bit does make a difference ( been demoing a Headrush for past three months ) and at this hour I prefer Headrush to GT-1000 ( the Headrush is a breeze to edit and program at gig
http://www.headrushfx.com/
the HeadRush Pedalboard also supports all common wave formats (wav, aiff), sample rates (up to 192kHz) and bit depths (up to 32-bit).

Guitar World says the GT 1000 is the first ever.......

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/boss-announces-new-gt-1000-guitar-effects-processor

Just sayin.

hsuru4u

The hr is on my radar. Vs helix lt? Helix seems r
To have better and more ambient effects? And better update support/ expansion attention.