SY-300 - What is lo-fi mode of osc sync?

Started by ElliotG, January 05, 2018, 03:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElliotG

What is the lo-fi mode of OSC sync?

I understand Sync.  I can hear some additional harmonics with the lo-fi sync.  Can anyone explain the difference between sync and lo-fi sync?

Thanks,
Elliot

Elantric

Quote from: ElliotG on January 05, 2018, 03:25:12 PM
What is the lo-fi mode of OSC sync?

I understand Sync.  I can hear some additional harmonics with the lo-fi sync.  Can anyone explain the difference between sync and lo-fi sync?

Thanks,
Elliot

its best to consult the manual
https://encyclotronic.com/uploads/monthly_2017_07/SY-300_ParamGuide_e02_(1)_pdf.9b7556b2c244b715281bd078834b5be8

Page 4 for Sync

Page 7 for LO-FI

try SY-300 patch P16 MUSIC MONK  = A lo-fi synth sound.

ElliotG

What I'm asking about is not in the manual.  In the OSC menu there are 3 options for sync, on,off, lo-fi.
What is a OSC sync-lofi?

ElliotG

I conducted some experiments... I find them inconclusive, but interesting enough to share.

I configured the SY300 to generate a saw wave. I used a strat, bridge pick up, tone knobs on one (reducing highs).  I was looking to create the "cleanest" signal.  The output looks a little dirty, but as expected.  Osc 1 Saw wave.

They I turned on osc 2, increased the pitch (+7), and changed the routing inside the SY300 to capture only the second osc, and set sync to on.   The result is again a little dirty but as expected.
Osc 2 saw wave sync to Osc 1.  sync=on

Then I repeated with the lofi option for osc sync it looks a little different, but I'm not confident this is the result of the change to the lofi mode or just variation in playing, or some other issue.
Osc 2 saw wave sync to Osc 1.  sync=lofi

ElliotG

More Experiments....

I used audacity to create a sin wave and used it as input.  Removing the guitar (and player) from the equation.  I can see clearly that there is a difference between OSC Sync on and OSC Sync lofi.  I sent an email to Boss support.  I'm still curious about what is what the lofi mode actually is.... I hope they can explain it.  I'm guessing that in "sync on" they do some processing to reduce digital aliasing, and in "sync lofi" the don't.

A few more details.  I put the SY300 USB routing to RE-SYNTH mode.  Set audacity to multi track mode. 
I had to change the default devices in windows to get things to work.  This was primarily trial and error.  I set the playback device in windows to: "SY300 MIX"  I set the record device in Windows to "Realtech high definition audio" my built in sound device. This was not intuitive.   I tried lots of combinations.  This step was frustrating, and still does not make much sense to me.  Setting the playback device to SY300 mix let me use the headphones plugged into the SY300.

On Audacity I set the mic input to:"Main (SY300)" and the speaker output to "RE-Synth Input(SY300)"

My test results attached below.

Brak(E)man

Could you post sound examples ?
How do you perceive the difference ?
And if Roland answers ...
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

ElliotG

I have attached a single mp3 file that alternates between sync-on and sync-lofi.  You can easily hear a difference when presented this way.  The first 2 seconds are sync on, followed by sync lofi... it then repeats a few times.

To me the lofi version sounds a little grainier, and has a less pronounced high frequency overtone.  I'd be interested in your thoughts and description.

I will be sure to post what I hear back from Boss/Roland.

Rhcole

Quote from: ElliotG on January 08, 2018, 09:18:00 AM
To me the lofi version sounds a little grainier, and has a less pronounced high frequency overtone.

YES, OF COURSE! THAT'S what the SY-300 needs to sound better!
Great design work, Boss!  :P

Brak(E)man

Quote from: ElliotG on January 08, 2018, 09:18:00 AM
I have attached a single mp3 file that alternates between sync-on and sync-lofi.  You can easily hear a difference when presented this way.  The first 2 seconds are sync on, followed by sync lofi... it then repeats a few times.

To me the lofi version sounds a little grainier, and has a less pronounced high frequency overtone.  I'd be interested in your thoughts and description.

I will be sure to post what I hear back from Boss/Roland.

Well my tinnitus doesn't make it easy to listen to sinus tones  through SY or not but
The first seems clearer but narrower
The second fatter and a bit dirtier
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

ElliotG

Here is the response I received from Roland support.  I have not yet had a chance to try their suggestion.
============================
Roland Product Support (Roland Corporation)
Jan 10, 6:06 PM PST
Hi Elliot,

Unfortunately, this feature is really not well documented in the manual, or the SY-300's Parameter Guide. However, after experimentation, we can recommend you try messing around with the following settings:

1. In the WAVE/PITCH Menu of Oscillator 2 or 3, choose one of the waveform types that support the use of this feature (Sine, Saw, Square, Triangle and PWM).
2. Go to the LFO Menu to turn on one of the Oscillator's 2 LFO's.
3. Go to the next page and crank up the LFO Pitch, Depth and Amp controls.
4. Go back to Page 2 of the WAVE/PITCH Menu and toggle the SYNC control between OFF, ON and LO-FI to hear the difference it makes.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Roland Product Support