My Variax Project - the Hexstainocaster

Started by AlakaLazlo, January 04, 2018, 03:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlakaLazlo

Here are some pics of my Variax project - the Variax Hexstainocaster (a Lazlo Custom).

I started with a JTV69s. Swapped out the stock pickups with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail (B) and Custom Stack + (M) pickups, and a Sustaniac (N) with on/off, drive, split and harmonic controls. 

I custom painted and reversed the GK3 hex pickup and installed internal electronics to control synth volume and program up/down output through a Synthlinx 13 pin jack routed next to the Cat5.

Next, I added a Warmoth custom neck with SS 6150s and a custom decal.

Everything works as it should thus far...

I'm considering adding p/u splitters for the Semour Duncans, and a lighted pushbutton on/off for the 9v that runs the Sustaniac as well as a black pick guard.

I had to do a fair amount of routing to the cavity to get the extra controls where I wanted them and for the Sustaniac's 9 volt battery. The Warmoth neck is a huge improvement in both playability and in getting rid of the unwanted string ringing above the nut. So far, so good....

Hexstainocaster, Fender Strat and Electric XII, Godin ACS, Axon AX50 - Moog One, IIP and Mini, SEM, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, Cubase Pro, 2xMR816, HR824, NS10M, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Z3ta+, Analog Lab, Slate MTi2, ML1 and Everything Bundle, Social Entropy Engine, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

HAMERMAN409

Nice.

I would have gone with Kitchensinkocaster. :-)

mordecai

It's like the Ed O'Brien strat on steroids! Super sweet!

GiRa

Wow that is cool!

Are you using the bridge pickup to drive the sustainer?
I am on the design phase for adding a Sustainiac to a Variax standard. Do you care sharing information about wiring challenges or other tips?

I know the modeling circuit expects a specific load from the passive pickups.

AlakaLazlo

@GiRa, yes the bridge pickup feeds the sustainer circuit.  Maniac Music has wiring diagrams. 
Hexstainocaster, Fender Strat and Electric XII, Godin ACS, Axon AX50 - Moog One, IIP and Mini, SEM, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, Cubase Pro, 2xMR816, HR824, NS10M, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Z3ta+, Analog Lab, Slate MTi2, ML1 and Everything Bundle, Social Entropy Engine, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.

GiRa

mordecai

I just got back on the Variax JTV-69 wagon now that I have a Helix and since I have had one in the past already know I am going to be putting a neck on it and want to put in some pickups. I will give it an honest go as far as the neck is concerned but I don't have any 1 5/8" necks and remember the nut being even narrower than that in real world measurements, all my necks are wider 1 11/16" mostly. What I am wondering with your experience in modification is how hard is it to swap pickups out? I've read where people just splice the wires and think that may be what I do to not mess with PCB board. Plan on putting a Thornbucker or Tonerider IV in the bridge and some flavor of Suhr singles, probably the 60s singles. Change out the solid white pickup covers and switch tip for cream to give it some pop. Really like my Kiesel necks so think I'll grab one of them to put on there eventually, the headstock I really think will fit the guitar. It is similar to the original but smaller less exaggerated bottom half of the headstock. 

Any wisdom or advise you can shed prior to me digging in would be appreciated. Again I have had one of these before but want to give it a go unmodified for a little bit but do expect me to go down the path outlined above.

admin

Quote from: mordecai on April 26, 2018, 12:03:10 PM
I just got back on the Variax JTV-69 wagon now that I have a Helix and since I have had one in the past already know I am going to be putting a neck on it and want to put in some pickups. I will give it an honest go as far as the neck is concerned but I don't have any 1 5/8" necks and remember the nut being even narrower than that in real world measurements, all my necks are wider 1 11/16" mostly. What I am wondering with your experience in modification is how hard is it to swap pickups out? I've read where people just splice the wires and think that may be what I do to not mess with PCB board. Plan on putting a Thornbucker or Tonerider IV in the bridge and some flavor of Suhr singles, probably the 60s singles. Change out the solid white pickup covers and switch tip for cream to give it some pop. Really like my Kiesel necks so think I'll grab one of them to put on there eventually, the headstock I really think will fit the guitar. It is similar to the original but smaller less exaggerated bottom half of the headstock. 

Any wisdom or advise you can shed prior to me digging in would be appreciated. Again I have had one of these before but want to give it a go unmodified for a little bit but do expect me to go down the path outlined above.

Read the JTV Variax PU swap thread

JTV- Mag Pickup Swap Details
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16980.msg121566#msg121566

mordecai

Thanks I saw that thread too and probably should have posted this there.

rockmancentralbob

I have 2 guitars with Sustainiacs in them already and want to add Sustainiacs to my 2 JTV-59's.
Of course, the tech at Line 6 is saying I can't do it, that it will cause warbling and such.
Have you experienced any issues with having your Sustainiac in there with the Variax models?

AlakaLazlo

Quote from: rockmancentralbob on April 07, 2021, 04:16:12 PM
Have you experienced any issues with having your Sustainiac in there with the Variax models?

No. I've had no issues at all. It works really well. It's especially great on higher strings when using my guitar to midi as it tracks really fast and I can hold notes indefinatly. I do recommend using the drive pot because dialing in the amount of sustain makes a huge difference in the tone.

rockmancentralbob

Thanks for the feedback.... no pun intended!!  LOL!!

I've since discovered the Boss GP-10, so I may just give up on the JTV guitars all together.
I'm just getting tired of the tech over there telling me I can't change pickups, can't use a Sustainiac, can't control models/tunings via MIDI, etc.
The GP-10 would give me the ability to use it on any guitar and I can control guitar models and tunings via MIDI with my Kemper, from what I understand.

So if anyone has a cheap GP-10 with the GK-3 for sale, let me know!!
Seems going rate is around $250 to $300 for a used one.

whippinpost91850

Bob,I have a brand new one (was gonna use as a backup for my Kemper, bought a second Kemper) that I have never used
I'll sell it for $300 with a used GK pickup.
Whippinpost91850 (Paul)