GT-100 downloaded patches sound nothing like the video's or soundcloud examples'

Started by mermiatwd, March 23, 2017, 05:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mermiatwd

OK, I got the GT-100 about a week ago and immediately updated the V2.03 firmware to the most recent V2.10 firmware.  All seemed to go well with that. I also set up BOSS Tone Studio and the GT-100 Librarian. I downloaded the Jack Thammarat Collection Jack Thammarat personal GT-100 patched from his website, Various other Live Set Lists from Boss Tone Central as well as the 25 Classic Josh Munday patches in the GT-100 demo video.  None of these patches sound even remotely similar to their online or soundcloud examples. I had the GT-8 and GT-10 before and they both sounded infinitely better than this GT-100.  I am running the outputs Line/Phones from the left and right to a pair of new Mackie CR4 50W powered studio monitors and it sounds like crap.  Very over processed, with heavy reverb and delay and very thick wet signal sounding tone.  The amp models all sound like the worst distortion pedal into a solid state amp in a 55 gallon steel drum.  I've tried it with my Pyle studio headphones. Into the frontend input of a small Samick combo amp. I've tried it stereo and from the left/mono output into the amp and the Mackie monitors with the same results. I've tried different output settings, various cabinet and mic variations as well as global setting adjustments.  I calibrated my input levels correctly for my guitars and that did not help.  Running the GT-100 from the left & right outputs int the inputs of the Mackie CR4 powered studio monitors is essentially the same as running into a control/mixing board so why am I not getting the tones as in the downloaded patches videos or soundclouds?  I have been able to set up some of my own custom patches and with intense tweaking got some better tones, but to be honest they are patches that are pretty high gain and sound undeniably solid state and vary fake.  When I try to use the patches that are supposed to deliver an Eric Johnson, Jack Thammarat, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Steve Lukather, David Gilmour or Joe Petrucci lead tone they all sound identical and like over processed muffled solid state high gain crap.  I even tried some of the Brett Kingman country patches like "Bergs Country" and it sounds basically like the high gain stack preset.  A simple patch like the one that is suppose to replicate the lead voice of "Comfortably Numb" has a tone nothing even remotely similar and has delay and reverb that sounds like their settings are near their extremes.  Look I'm not splitting hairs with these patch tones, I'd expect them to be at least in the ballpark.  But the tones any of these downloaded patches is producing is not even in the same continent.  But again it's not just the downloaded patches.  The presets as well as the custom patches I try to set up are sounding just as bad.  I have always been a fan of Roland/BOSS I've loved and still use every last BOSS effect (except the HM2 pedal) that I ever had since 1980. I bought the GT-100 specifically because of and for the reproduction of classic guitar tones like in the BOSS/Josh Munday video as well as the demonstrated BOSS patches in BOSS Tone Central of Jack Thammarat, Eric johnson, Steve Vai, Dave Gilmour as well as the custom GT-100 patches of Glenn Delaune.  I just refuse to believe that a Roland/BOSS product like this is not capable of sounding really good because my old GT-8 and GT-10 sounded really great.  And I used them both mainly into an old Crate 2X12" combo that had an actual preamp tube for home and as a backup to my "Cali" modded JCM 800 and Marshall 9001/9005 stereo rack rig.  Maybe I got a bad unit, maybe the V2.10 firmware update screwed something up in the unit, maybe I'm doing something wrong that I just am not aware of.  I really want to have this unit perform for me, like I see it perform everywhere on line.  But as of right now it is not even close.  Maybe someone else has had and overcome these problems.  Any help, solutions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
BILL

gumtown

Global EQ screwed up?
You should be getting a decent tone from it.

Try backing up your patches and do a factory reset?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

QuoteI am running the outputs Line/Phones from the left and right to a pair of new Mackie CR4 50W powered studio monitors and it sounds like crap

No surprise there IMHO

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/mackie-cr3-an-cr4

mermiatwd

So then what are you saying exactly?  That the Mackie CR4 monitors are the problem?  Everything else seems to sound pretty good through them.  Yes the very low registers are not optimal on them for professional mix down but the 70Hz to 20kHz range of these monitors is more than ample to reproduce the 80Hz to 1500Hz guitar range.  And even if the CR4 monitors are a problem that does not explain the exact same poor sound through Studio Headphones, the front end of an amp or the other output configurations.
BILL

mermiatwd

Quote from: gumtown on March 23, 2017, 05:47:16 PM
Global EQ screwed up?
You should be getting a decent tone from it.

Try backing up your patches and do a factory reset?

Well the global EQ was one of my first suspects, it does help a little bit but that is not the problem. Besides just the amp model tones, a big part of the problem is the effect levels of things like delay, reverb, and other modulated & time based effects seem to be at extremes and the dry/wet mix of the patches are overly wet.   The factory reset option was suggested to me by someone at Roland, but I have held off on blanking it out and starting over until I do an A/B comparison with another GT-100 at the local Guitar Center or Sam Ash.  I'm planning on doing that tomorrow (Saturday).  Since even the most basic amp model factory preset patches sound bad it should be easy to see if my unit is bad or if my V2.10 firmware update caused the problem.  Thanks for the response.
BILL

aliensporebomb

Maybe you can create an MP3 of what you are hearing so we can get an idea of what's wrong?  It sure sounds like SOMETHING is messed up somewhere.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Shure

Friend ... no timbre that you download from the internet will be 100% identical to what you heard. Everything you see on the internet goes through treatments, I already tested almost everything I saw on the question of timbres on the internet and none worked exactly like this in the videos (paid stamps of famous faces and free stamps), you must take into consideration, used equipment (Guitar.captador..cabos.amplificadores.treatment of sound etc ...) Which gave me positive result and took my tones to another level was to use my amp as power amp (since the gt-100 ja and an amplifier simulator does not need to be with multiple equalizers uses only the gt-100) and I used some tips from the gt-8 brilliance .