GP-10 BOSS TONE STUDIO bugs/errors/issues

Started by jwhitcomb3, April 07, 2016, 10:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhitcomb3

First session with the v1.1.0, and I'm having problems. I made a patch using the Natural Amp COSM model, but when I drag it to a setlist in the librarian, and then click on the new patch in the setlist, it always jumps back to the Clean Twin model, and some other parameters also don't stick. Tried this several times with the same result. Anyone else noticed similar problems?

Autana

Hi jwhitcomb3, confirmed, I was almost to post it. Similar issue is happening here, especially with patches which have multiple assignments, CTL/GK/EXP. It was a headache while I was editing my NyRAC patches, dragging one or more finished patches from editor left list to any librarian LiveSet result in values change. For example, one of my patches always changed from Nylon to GR-300 after pass to LiveSet, then I came up with a workaround a bit cumbersome but effective, just make a backup of your GP-10 memory . When the LiveSet appears in the librarian list, drag your patches from there to other LiveSet. I could verify the patches from backup don't have problems at all.   

BTW, what OS is yours? the problem here only happens sometimes under win 7, but is almost permanent in an old laptop with Win XP SP3 I use as internet server and which also used to keep the GP-10 online with BTS while work in other task in my main PC.
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

jwhitcomb3

I'm using Mac OS 10.11.4. And yes, I use a boatload of assigns. Thanks for your input.

Looks like I'm reverting back to the old editor.

Autana

Quote from:  jwhitcomb3 on April 08, 2016, 08:45:03 AM
I'm using Mac OS 10.11.4. And yes, I use a boatload of assigns. Thanks for your input.

Looks like I'm reverting back to the old editor.

Your welcome. Not to discourage, but I has the issue with the old version too,  whenever with lot of assignments. Let know us how is going if you back to 1.0.0.
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Elantric

QuoteI'm using Mac OS 10.11.4

I'm using OSX Yosemite, and not experienced this  - YET!

jwhitcomb3

I have reproduced the bug in v1.1.0.

The attached livesets were each created by dragging the same patch from the current live set to a new live set, one made in v1.0.0, and the other made in v1.1.0. The version saved by v1.1.0 corrupts several parameters. For example,

Pickup is corrupted from Bright Humbucker to LP
Amp model is corrupted from Natural Clean to Clean Twin
The EQ location is moved from the normal pickup chain to the end of the combined chain.

V1.1.0 loads the preset saved by v1.0.0 correctly. So V1.1.0 seems to corrupt some parameters when moving presets to a liveset.

Elantric

If you can reproduce it, contact Roland/ Boss support.

jwhitcomb3

I contacted support on Saturday. No response yet.

jwhitcomb3

Autana

I also sent  my report to Roland Boss email support page, 3 days ago, not response yet.

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Autana

REPORT FOR: BOSS TONE STUDIO V.1.1.0 for BOSS GP-10

BUG: Amp type parameters

Description:
This bug is located in Speaker Amp (PREAMP) section. When a speaker type, other than ORIGINAL is selected, then leave the section and back, all the rest of parameters disappear from the screen, except Select Type.
This bug impeding accessing to the rest of parameters: Mic Type, Mic Distance, Mic Position, Mic Level and Direct Level.
Malfunction is logged in the memory of each patch in the GP-10.
Curiously, by accessing the hidden parameters, using the hardware GP-10 itself, the actual selected parameter will be updated on BTS screen, but the others parameters still hidden.

WORKAROUND: 
Parameters will remain hidden even by selecting back to ORIGINAL speaker type, but by momentarily entering on any other BTS section and returns to SPK section, the lost parameters will back again on screen and allowing make adjustments. However disappear again when leaving and back. Annoying.

Here some images, and below a small videocapture or the issue in real time.

- Select a speaker type, other than ORIGINAL

When leave the section and back, all the rest of parameters disappear from the screen, except Select Type.

By accessing the hidden parameters, using the hardware GP-10 itself, the actual selected parameter will be updated on BTS screen, but the others parameters still hidden.

Realtime videocapture . 474 KB
Video capture

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Dr Tadpole

Ciao a tutti,

yesterday i installed the new version on my PC (mmmmh, windows 10....) and BTS crashes everytime i drag a patch onto the GP-10. The only solution is to close and restart BTS... slightly annoying. :-)

cheers

Nyama74

On Windows XP, I found BTS v1.1.0 to be unusably buggy:

1) As Dr Tadpole stated above, BTS crashed whenever I dragged a patch over to GP-10.

2) When editing a custom GR-300 patch, "Cutoff" value (75) would not save in GP-10 and kept defaulting to max (100). Editor window showed correct values/assignments but, for whatever reason, GP-10 wasn't seeing them. After attempting to reinstall saved patches, I noticed that all of my other GR-300 patches (Ainsoph, Dr. Jones, etc.) were now defaulting to max Cutoff value, as well.

3) After attempting a second reinstall of saved patch library, all GR-300 patches returned to normal but all patches using Tremolo (including factory patches) stopped working. As before, editor window showed correct assignments but, this time, custom values were now defaulting to 0.

Conclusion: BTS 1.1.0 is haunted. After reverting back to BTS 1.0 and rebuilding several patches, all seems to be well.

admin

Has anyone heard back from Roland / Boss support regarding this issue?

Nyama74

I've emailed Roland support, as well, but haven't heard anything back, yet.

Nyama74

From Roland Support: "We have not had reports of this particular set of circumstances with BOSS Tone Studio."

They also included some hints about firewalls and usb ports (n/a) but, since reverting back to BTS 1.0, I haven't had any issues.
The only thing that's changed in my chain is their software version.

47Flyer

I have the same Tremelo issues.  After saving through BTS 1.1 I have to go back into the GP-10 and reset all of the values that were changed to "0".

Autana

Quote from: Nyama74 on May 14, 2016, 01:32:21 PM
From Roland Support: "We have not had reports of this particular set of circumstances with BOSS Tone Studio."

I hope they have changed their minds and have noticed the bugs and issues. Just now ( 05/16/2016  23:27) I load BTS and there pop up a notice of new update, I am downloading for check it and report.

//////////////////////////////

POST UPDATE EDIT:

Not update for GP-10, it seem just some minor fix revision for ADOBE AIR. duh ... sorry.

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

admin

Not the first time Roland /Boss has been out of sync with reality

Autana

Quote from: admsustainiac on May 16, 2016, 09:23:04 PM
Not the first time Roland /Boss has been out of sync with reality

Indeed  :)  thank goodness they did not invent the SMPTE

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

groovey1

Quote from: 47Flyer on May 16, 2016, 09:05:58 AM
I have the same Tremelo issues.  After saving through BTS 1.1 I have to go back into the GP-10 and reset all of the values that were changed to "0".
I'm also noticing this today ... specifically with the Tremolo FX. Not sure if it's affected anything else ... but it sure makes me leery about using TS. If only it was easier to edit directly on the unit.

pf!

I'm new to the forum and new to Boss/Roland.  I found this thread because I wad searching for issues people were having problems saving patches to live sets.

My issue is I can't save my patches to a live set.  If I save a patch to a live set and then go to the live set to check it, I find it is a completely different patch.  If I take that Incorrect patch just I saved and put it on the GP-10, it transfers over as the completely same incorrect patch.

I've worked wth other manufacturer's equipment before (Line 6) and was able to save patches correctly.

I even uninstalled, downloaded a new copy of the GP-10 BTS and drivers and it still does it.  I'm using windows 10 and BTS 1.1.0

This is very frustrating.  I'm editing patches to use in the pit for a musical.  I want to have a backup of my written patches in case I need to reload for some reason.

Brak(E)man

I've had similar issues with Mac OSX 10.6 and the first version of BTS , ( why not skip the T )
Haven't tried OSX 10.10 which i use for SY --300 or upgraded BTS yet.
I usually don't upgrade for a good 6 months to a year for obvious reasons , but Roland/Boss takes the price so far in software glitches , bugs and errors , sad since the products are goog with a lot of unused potential
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Autana

Workaround for the patch save bug in GP-10 BTS version 1.1.0 (no tested in 1.0.0 yet)

Quote from: pf! on June 16, 2016, 04:54:10 PM
My issue is I can't save my patches to a live set.  If I save a patch to a live set and then go to the live set to check it, I find it is a completely different patch.  If I take that Incorrect patch just I saved and put it on the GP-10, it transfers over as the completely same incorrect patch.

This BTS bug in GP-10 version has been reported and it is more or less consistent from one case to another.
After analyzing certain patterns of behavior, I could find a workaround that while not resolve the bug, it does allows me to properly save my patches without errors or alteration. In my case it works, but everyone should check if it does as well.

The workaround came after I realized some weird facts in BTS bug behave:

1- the first 10 patches, located in the BTS left list, corresponding to the GP-10 slots from 01 to 10, at least in my case always are saved fine and without alterations to library/Live Set. The problem is on any other patch from 11 onwards in rows slots x1 to x9 of each ten, EXCEPT (here the weirdest thing) the x0 of the each ten row, for example, patches 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 36, 38, 39 will be wrongly saved with the data from patches 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 and 09 respectively,  but patch 30 will save fine and unaltered. 

2- I noticed that while the patch is wrongly saved, it retains its name unchanged, but at the same time I look the GP-10 screen display and there appear the name and data corresponding to other patch located always within the first 10 memory slots. That is the real patch was saved in BTS LiveSet! In precise terms, there is not corrupted patch data, only is exchanged with the parameters data from another patch, due to the BTS bug.

For example, if you save patch 28 or 58 or 98 or any x8 of a ten row, the bugged BTS wrongly will save the parameters data corresponding to patch number 08 instead, but retaining the correct patch name in the LiveSet.

To summarize
Under the GP-10 BTS bug version, the only patches numbers that will be saved correctly and without alterations are: the first ten from 01 to 10, and patches 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90. All others (x1 to x9 of each ten row except 01-10) will be saved improperly.    Use these "safe slots" for your patch editions, if you need to save them to BTS Library/LiveSet.

TIP: another workaround if you need to save a lot of patches to BTS library, from any slot number and without errors, is to make a backup of GP-10 memory, which will appear as a new LiveSet. No problem and no errors exist when copying patches from one LiveSet to another.

- Tal Wilkenfeld -