Author Topic: PRIMOVA MIDX-20 Dual Roland USB MIDI Converter / Ctrl Interface  (Read 23547 times)

Offline Elantric

Re: PRIMOVA MIDX-20 Dual Roland USB MIDI Converter / Ctrl Interface
« Reply #575 on: February 09, 2018, 09:29:51 PM »
http://www.primovasound.com/midx_20.html
Power   
-   The unit is powered by standard 9V Pedal adapters or any phone charger (5V) into the mini USB connector. Current (amps) rating: If you are using GT,GP,VG,SY or Mustang devices, the required current is just a few milliamps (mA), however if you are connecting high current devices (500mA or more), please consult the manual of the device and find a supply that is powerful enough.

You must supply DC power source for the MIDX-20 , ( I recommend a Truetone One-Spot )  then the MIDX-20 can power it self
and many types of connected USB MIDI devices
When the  UM-ONE MKII is connected to MIDX-20 via USB, the MIDX-20 will also power the UM-ONE MKII

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:39:24 PM by Elantric »

Offline Dunny Daw

« Reply #576 on: February 09, 2018, 10:18:07 PM »
Thanks, Elantric, but I think maybe I didn't ask my question clearly.

I do have a 9v DC powering the MIDX-20, and that is good.

I was hoping to connect:-

1.  MIDX-20 USB UPR  ---> GT-1; via USB cable
2.  MIDX-20 USB LWR  ---> GP-10; via USB cable
3.  SoftStep 2 --> USB type B to USB type A cable --> USB female to female adapter --> USB end of Roland UM-ONE --> 5 pin MIDI end of Roland UM-ONE --> 5 pin MIDI IN of MIDX-20

But there isn't power to drive the UM-ONE for it to connect, or (I think) to then power the SoftStep 2

I was then thinking I could connect the SoftStep 2 to the MIDX-20 USB LWR via a USB type B to USB type A cable (which works, and powers the SaftStep 2) and maybe connect the GT-1 (or GP-10, no difference) to the MIDX-20 as follows:-

4.  5 pin MIDI OUT of MIDX-20 --> 5 pin MIDI end of Roland UM-ONE --> USB female to female adapter --> USB type A to USB type B cable --> GT-1 (or GP-10)

but again there is no power to the UM-ONE to make the connection.

The female to female adapter is necessary because the SoftStep 2 has a USB type B connection (the big square type), and the UM-ONE has a USB Type A cable end.  It is a cheap adapter, maybe that is an issue?

Offline Elantric

« Reply #577 on: February 09, 2018, 10:51:37 PM »
5 pin MIDI OUT of MIDX-20 --> 5 pin MIDI end of Roland UM-ONE --> USB female to female adapter --> USB type A to USB type B cable --> GT-1 (or GP-10)

Maybe a former Radio Shack manager recommended that connection,  but that will never work

and i'm amazed that many folks have access to arcane USB adapters  that I rarely see in stores.

Learn about USB

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15763.0
MIDI foot controllers with USB connection I know ( as well as the Boss GP-10, Fishman Tripleplay, Line6 FBV Shortboard MKII , KMI SoftStep II, UM ONE MKII   are:
USB Client (EndPoint) devices

You need a USB Host - and you already used the only two USB host ports you have ( on the MIDX-20 with GT-1 and GP-10  )

You need a MIDI foot controller with a true 5 pin DIN MIDI out to connect to MIDX-20's  5pin MIDI Input

(KMI Expander EXPAND port is NOT a USB Host port)

Consider getting the KMI MIDi Expander ( an a separate USB Power supply for the KMI SS2  to get a true 5 pin MIDI Output connection  - or use a different MIDI foot controller ( FCB-1010) with a true 5 pin MIDI Output connection 
https://support.keithmcmillen.com/hc/en-us/categories/200240785-MIDI-Expander

The USB Bus requires One device to act as USB HOST Device - and those are typically computers 
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/49140/what-exactly-are-the-difference-between-a-usb-host-and-device

The USB Host port initiates all communication on the USB bus, the USB Endpoint device only responds when asked by the USB Host. For Details see the specs on usb.org.
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/devclass_docs/

(And tell anyone you know (Marketing Manager's, etc) to study the USB Specification before they vote to omit the 5pin DIN MIDI I/O jacks from new gear just to save $2.00 cost.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:35:17 AM by Elantric »

Offline gumtown

« Reply #578 on: February 10, 2018, 01:29:04 AM »
I have said this before,
but using that USB joiner is like plugging a computer keyboard directly into a printer,
and expecting to print out the letters as you type.
Won't work for many reasons, USB powered devices would not get powered.
The devices would not receive firmware driver support from the host device.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Online CodeSmart

• Rating: 53
  • Trying to stay healthy and learn about electronics
« Reply #579 on: February 10, 2018, 02:15:11 AM »
Dunny Daw,
To do what you want you need yet another MIDX-20.

Two MIDX-20 and a short normal MIDI cable will do it.
* SS2 into MIDX(1) USB LWR
* MIDX(1) MIDI OUT to MIDX(2) MIDI IN
* MIDX(2) USB LWR & UPR into your devices.

To promote your decision I sell you another MIDX-20 with a little ding in the casing for half price $92.5USD. Contact me soon if interested. Also later I want a photo of your final rig  ;D
Got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Online cags12

« Reply #580 on: February 10, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »
I would be interested in B-Stock half price MIDX-20 if Dunny Daw will not want it. PM me in such case please.

Online CodeSmart

« Reply #581 on: February 12, 2018, 05:56:47 AM »
I would be interested in B-Stock half price MIDX-20 if Dunny Daw will not want it. PM me in such case please.
Done and sold!

Online CodeSmart

« Reply #582 on: February 12, 2018, 05:58:28 AM »
Posted new firmware today.

V2.7 2018-02-12
New: Added CC# for Bank Up/Down for MS-1 MIDI Bridge
Bug: Foot switch CC# increment/decrement mode fixed

Updated documents and firmware download here:
http://primovasound.com/midx_20_page2.html

Offline Dunny Daw

« Reply #583 on: February 13, 2018, 07:00:30 AM »
Blokes,

Thanks for the various replies, and sorry for my late reply - got really tied up with work for the last few days.

@Gumtown
using that USB joiner is like plugging a computer keyboard directly into a printer,
and expecting to print out the letters as you type.

I knew that the connector wasn't providing any computing horsepower, and I wasn't expecting it to do so.  In my mind, it was like cutting off the Type A connector and soldering in its place a Type B connector.  I went down this path because I saw an illustration in the MIDX-20 manual where Boss pedals were connected to the Mdi In and Out of the MIDX-20.  I mistakenly assumed this was a Midi-to-USB cable, but later realised the various devices CodeSmart showed there were devices that had Midi in and Out on the device, so connection would be a Midi-to-Midi cable.  I also mistakenly thought the computing power was provided by the MIDX-20.
Been thinking about it a bit more since then and realised more what is going on.

@Elantric
(And tell anyone you know (Marketing Manager's, etc) to study the USB Specification before they vote to omit the 5pin DIN MIDI I/O jacks from new gear just to save $2.00 cost.
I'll do that, but the only Marketing Managers I know are trying to sell me railway rollingstock, and not that interested in a Midi port on the train anywhere.

@CodeSmart
To promote your decision I sell you another MIDX-20 with a little ding in the casing for half price $92.5USD.
Thank you for this kind offer, it's one of those things where I am thinking I am costing myself money not to buy it.  (And it looks like it is already sold).  I have already bought a few components off you, and if I tell the Leader of the Opposition I am sending more money to my mate in Sweden, she will go ballistic.  I'm pretty sure there is a MIDX-10 here somewhere, I've just got to lay my hands on it again.  And I will look to see if I have any Midi interface I can use as an alternative (just to see if I can get it working that way).

Then at the end of all that, I have to work out how to program the SS2 to do change presets on the GT-1 (can do this via the Basic editor), but also change assigns within a preset on the GT-1 (haven't been successful with this yet, in the Advanced editor).

Thanks all.

Online CodeSmart

« Reply #584 on: February 13, 2018, 12:47:32 PM »
If find no other last resort than receiving a ballistic attack, please let me know, I might have more enclosures with dings or ugly print... 8)

Offline admsustainiac

« Reply #585 on: February 13, 2018, 12:54:37 PM »
Or Consider getting the KMI MIDi Expander $59 ( and a separate USB Power supply ($9) for the KMI SS2  to get a true 5 pin MIDI Output connection  to the one MIDX-20
https://support.keithmcmillen.com/hc/en-us/categories/200240785-MIDI-Expander
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:12:17 PM by Elantric »