Line 6 Helix 10 day review.

Started by germanicus, October 18, 2015, 04:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkieboy

So I downloaded the free trial - I still have a few days to play - but it has convinced me.  Plus ...

* I have kids, a wife and a dog - I simply can't justify a Kemper!  It isn't just the cost of the unit, but also all of the extra stuff I would need around it, because really its just the amp.  Besides I would only use one or two models and it would be cheaper to buy the real things!!
* AxeFX seems to attract a particular kind of player and music, and although what I do is at the fringes of that scene, I don't do that whole virtuoso high-gain thing.  The song comes first and the music I write doesn't allow for that kind of indulgence
* Much as I am still finding new stuff in my VG, I'm started to feel limited by the need to always play a guitar with a hex pickup, or one I feel comfortable fitting a hex pickup to - I have a few really nice guitars I would like to play live occasionally, but at the moment its my Brian Moore or nothing really.  :(   Plus its an old unit and at some point its going to go kaput: I have it flight cased and I look after it, but it does some really unique things that I simply can't bear to lose.

Seeing what you can do with IRs to emulate acoustic guitars is a bit of a revelation.  Plus I don't mind adding a piezo power bridge and a stereo out to one of my nice guitars which will improve things further.

So I'm going to have to sell some stuff.  Anyone fancy a Supernova II rack, a complete Emu E5k rig with all the SCSI and sample disks you could wish for, or a mint AX100 Mk II.  They'll all have to go ...
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Smash

Don't know about the acoustics but from 7'50" onwards sounds bloody marvellous! HD500 or not

sixeight

QuoteI still have a few days to play - but it has convinced me

There is a sale on Helix Native right now - 30% off!

admin

Quote from: germanicus on February 15, 2018, 01:55:09 PM
A good example of what a variax sounds like with its acoustic sounds is the following.

Hes not playing through the Helix there FWIW, but an HD500.

arkieboy

Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Smash