PRIMOVA - GKPX-14 a smarter GKP-4 clone/4 channel GK distribution box

Started by CodeSmart, August 06, 2014, 10:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

No GR-20 here to test.
Remember the method which the Roland US-20 operates is it Mutes the Patch volume of the non selected GK Processor, using the GK-VOL (Pin #8 ) signal which goes to 0Volts for the non selected GK processor.

I assume your  GKPX-14 operates in a similar manner?

CodeSmart

Quote from: admsustainiac on December 21, 2015, 10:30:36 AM
Remember the method which the Roland US-20 operates is it Mutes the Patch volume of the non selected GK Processor, using the GK-VOL (Pin #8 ) signal which goes to 0Volts for the non selected GK processor.
I assume your  GKPX-14 operates in a similar manner?

Exactly Elantric. Hence my thinking GR-20 is different, affecting the shared hex signals. Hence I should make a full buffered switcher one day. Anyone else has details/known issues with the GR-20 hex input stage?
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

mrstrat

Here's the problem. I plug the GR-20 into A, the GP-10 into B. The synth works fine, but when I switch to the GP-10, the guitar sounds like what you'd get as a bypass - with the guitar going straight into an amp. If I unplug the GR-20, the GP-10 works fine. He has some suggestions for me to try to determine where the problem is. I can't do it until later this week though due to my living situation (you don't want to know).

Elantric

Try swapping Unit A / Unit B - i.e. try using the GP-10 connected to Unit A Out, and GR-20 connected to Unit B Out

Only one Gk Processor "Unit A" should be supplying Power to the GK-3 

Quotebut when I switch to the GP-10, the guitar sounds like what you'd get as a bypass - with the guitar going straight into an amp.

Tough to debug since there is no "Bypass" on the GP-10

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on December 21, 2015, 01:54:37 PM
Try swapping Unit A / Unit B - i.e. try using the GP-10 connected to Unit A Out, and GR-20 connected to Unit B Out

Only one Gk Processor "Unit A" should be supplying Power to the GK-3 

Tough to debug since there is no "Bypass" on the GP-10

Just what I've told him, look at the meter on the GP-10 and then rip out the GR-20 cable (B) to see what difference it make...
Only A is supplying power to the unit by the way.

mrstrat

Just had an opportunity to test as requested.

The level seemed a little higher with the synth unplugged, but it was hard to tell. I didn't have an audio cable going out of the synth, and when I unplugged the GK cable, it made a little pop like you'd get when unplugging a live audio cable. Also noticed that when the #1 patch was selected, it was a dry signal to the amp. But when changing to any other patch, there was nothing (both units plugged in). Operates normally with just one plugged in.

CodeSmart

A smaller batch of GKPX-14 and GKPX-14F (with subsonic filter) will be in production start February 2017.
These thing allow you to connect and control up to four synth devices.

They won't be yellow this time...

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: CodeSmart on November 16, 2016, 05:30:08 PM
A smaller batch of GKPX-14 and GKPX-14F (with subsonic filter) will be in production start February 2017.
These thing allow you to connect and control up to four synth devices.

They won't be yellow this time...

Does that make my yellow one a collector's item?  ;D ;D
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

CodeSmart

Back again with a jet lag - A bunch of GKPX units is in production.
Should receive mounted boards upcoming week and enclosures has hopefully been milled while I was away.
Painting, printing, clear coat and assembly/testing todo.

CodeSmart

I'm reverting back to GR-55 colors for the 2017 batch of GKPX-14 synth selector (US-20 (x2) clone / GKP-4 clone).
As before it can be delivered with or without the Subsonic filter board. The units will be ready late February.'

...I need to get the paint job done before my old painting friend gets his spine operation :-\

Many years ago he painted a lifting truck (wheels removed) on some wooden support late at night in a factory location.
Suddenly the truck tipped over and his both feet got crushed underneath this industrial truck. He had no wall to lean onto and screamed like hell for 5-6 hours until a night watch heard strange blowing sounds from a corner. All voice was gone, he had screamed his lungs out. This horrible episode damaged his spine, feet and nerve system and has been bothered him plenty since. I really hope the operation will take away some of the pain he constantly have felt since the accident.

alexmcginness

Im on he list. Dont forget to email me whet theyre ready. Just send me the pay pal bill and the cash will be there.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

CodeSmart

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: CodeSmart on February 05, 2017, 01:40:52 PM
I'm reverting back to GR-55 colors for the 2017 batch of GKPX-14 synth selector (US-20 (x2) clone / GKP-4 clone).
As before it can be delivered with or without the Subsonic filter board. The units will be ready late February.'

Does this mean my yellow version is now a collector's item?  ;D ;D
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

CodeSmart

This is what the new GKPX-14 and GKPX-14F looks like.
Of reasons related to printer technology the color does not match the GR-55. Nothing I can do about it now.
I can build and ship some units now if someone here is interested.

squatch

Looks cool Codesmart! I need to get one
I probably need the filter version, I have a VG-8s1, GR-1, GI-10 and the Space & Distortion stompboxes
I gather from the panel that the GK outs are always active and the switch just selects which unit gets S1,S2,Vol
Anyway, I'll PM you
Guitars: Parker, Kinman, Wilkinson, MJT
Amps: Fender SR, Ceriatone OTS
FX: Big Sky, Timefactor, Infinity, Lexicon etc
Hex: Roland VG-8 VG88, GR1, GRS, GRD, GI-10, GI-20, GKP-4
Synth: Roland MKB1000, MKS20, MKS30, XV2020 Kurzweil K1000, Kawai K5000S, Yamaha SY77, MU100, Korg Micro Preset

alexmcginness

My name should be on the list. Let me know the price and Ill send the cash
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

CodeSmart

alexmcginness

alexmcginness

Quote from: Elantric on August 06, 2014, 10:54:18 AM
Although myself - I typically prefer a box with dedicated  A/B/C/D foot switches

Me too. I have a GKPX-14 and it would be great if it had a separate switch for each output. I still use my US-20 and a Y gk cable coming out of one of the GK outs to control 3 units. A US-30 pedal might be a great DIY project.

slooky

Quote from: mrstrat on December 24, 2015, 03:16:20 PM
Just had an opportunity to test as requested.

The level seemed a little higher with the synth unplugged, but it was hard to tell. I didn't have an audio cable going out of the synth, and when I unplugged the GK cable, it made a little pop like you'd get when unplugging a live audio cable. Also noticed that when the #1 patch was selected, it was a dry signal to the amp. But when changing to any other patch, there was nothing (both units plugged in). Operates normally with just one plugged in.
I have used the GKPX-14 Gp-10 into GKA and Gr-20 into GKB both units function normally

jburns2

I read the pdf manual for your GKPX-14/F. WOW! The setup wizard is outstanding. Glad I read the manual before buying a us-20.
http://www.primovasound.com/gkpx_14.html
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/GKPX14_Manual.pdf

alexmcginness

Ive gone back to using my US-20. I finally hooked up the GKPX-14 and after reading the set up instructions I noticed that because Im color blind I cant tell whether the lights are red, green or yellow. They either look bright or not quite as bright to me. So, if youre color blind youre gonna have a challenge setting up and using this. With the US-20 the lights are either on or off.

CodeSmart

Mark, with an interesting setup writes:

Wanted to let you know I got the rig working thanks mostly due to the two gkpx-14 boxes I bought from you. Long story short, I have 6 gp-10's running off of one gk signal. And as you may recall, my goal was to accomplish one pedal bend per string via dp-10 damper pedals, one damper pedal going into each gp-10. The gkpx-14's work flawlessly, and in case you have never tested it, it is possible to daisy chain them so that the same gk signal hits all boxes simultaneously. Here is a photo of the rig:

The damper pedals are plugged directly into the external expression pedal inputs on the gp-10 units. Currently, I program changes by programming parallel patches on each gp-10. I keep them in sync by relying on s1 and s2 patch change commands from the gk on board patch switch and using matching patch numbers on the individual gp-10 units. I run the six individual string signals (one from each gp-10 unit) into a basic audio mixer and feed the mix into external processors for all amp simulations, effects, etc.

What I am interested in doing next is getting midi control.

gumbo

Quote from: CodeSmart on September 03, 2019, 01:33:20 PM
Mark, with an interesting setup writes:

Wanted to let you know I got the rig working thanks mostly due to the two gkpx-14 boxes I bought from you. Long story short, I have 6 gp-10's running off of one gk signal. And as you may recall, my goal was to accomplish one pedal bend per string via dp-10 damper pedals, one damper pedal going into each gp-10. The gkpx-14's work flawlessly, and in case you have never tested it, it is possible to daisy chain them so that the same gk signal hits all boxes simultaneously. Here is a photo of the rig:

The damper pedals are plugged directly into the external expression pedal inputs on the gp-10 units. Currently, I program changes by programming parallel patches on each gp-10. I keep them in sync by relying on s1 and s2 patch change commands from the gk on board patch switch and using matching patch numbers on the individual gp-10 units. I run the six individual string signals (one from each gp-10 unit) into a basic audio mixer and feed the mix into external processors for all amp simulations, effects, etc.

What I am interested in doing next is getting midi control.

...the exact essence of what I was fooling about with 10 years ago with a (stillborn) "V-Pedal Steel"..  at that point in my life I was not able to accumulate the necessary resources to purchase six separate processors...and then when I got the idea to take it to the next level with separate string signals coming out of an eight or ten-string lap steel, I decided I had just better pull my head in and concentrate on things closer to home....    ...which eventually led to Synth-Linx and everything that has subsequently clung to the coat-tails of that....

Still, a few ideas have gone on to other things, including my use of damper pedals.....   ;)

...so glad to see someone got it together..no matter what it took!

Love it!  My congratulations to Mark, and to Robert (Codesmart) for assisting along the way!   :-*

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

CodeSmart

My supplier doing milling and printing has finally been able to print a new batch of GKPX-14 enclosures.
This means I can now start to assemble new units. It's been a long wait.