Boss GP-10 - How to implement 5 pin MIDI I/O with Raspberry Pi

Started by loulea, July 31, 2014, 01:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loulea

Quote from: Elantric on August 06, 2014, 01:09:39 PM
bump - as I just added screen shots of last nights 1st day with Raspberry Pi here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11998.msg87313#msg87313

You have to apply the same settings in the "Connect" setting also. Then you need to set the same thing in the "Patchbay" setting as well. Save the setup when done. If I get some time I will take some screen shots as well but my image should have it connected already.

Man, once you get it going you are going to be so happy ;D!!!!
Music is in everyone!!

Elantric

I'm still learning and getting up to speed

Question? Should I have used (Raspi-Config)  and performed the: "Expand Filesystem" command?  ( Ensures that all of the SD card storage is available to the OS) ?

https://github.com/raspberrypi/documentation/blob/master/configuration/raspi-config.md

whippinpost91850

Quote from: loulea on August 06, 2014, 01:03:44 PM
More than welcome! Once you get the GP-10, you will need to setup JackCtl so you are not out of the woods yet.  ;). The link I provided earlier in the material should help.

I'm on summer vacation this week otherwise I wouldn't have the time.  ;D
is JackCtl a seperate purchase if so from where

loulea

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on August 06, 2014, 01:29:02 PM
is JackCtl a seperate purchase if so from where

No! It is all included!! Built in! No worries on that! You just have to set it up. Look Elantric's post on how he activated it.
Music is in everyone!!

Elantric

Quoteis JackCtl a seperate purchase if so from where

Its all included in the RASPIAN OS  - which is a free download.

For my 1st Raspberry Pi, I elected to order a kit that included all Raspberry Pi OS's and Noobs preinstalled on the included SD card

I ordered this one - which includes a few accessories and the loaded SD card
Raspberry Pi Model B+ Complete Starter Kit [Made in the UK]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L87YMGM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

whippinpost91850

I find it amusing it says GP10 right on the Raspberry circuit board ???

loulea

Quote from: Elantric on August 06, 2014, 01:28:52 PM
I'm still learning and getting up to speed

I should have used "Raspberry Pi Software Configuration Tool (Raspi-Config)

and performed the: "Expand Filesystem" command ( Ensures that all of the SD card storage is available to the OS) ?

https://github.com/raspberrypi/documentation/blob/master/configuration/raspi-config.md

You also should configure it to boot into the desktop using the Raspi-config, item 3. You won't have to login and it will go strait to the desktop. My image launches it automatically and configures JackCtl. Will you be able to try it tonight?

I'm just as excited. This little box is amazing. It really gets you thinking!
Music is in everyone!!

Elantric

QuoteMy image launches it automatically and configures JackCtl. Will you be able to try it tonight?

Cant start until 10:00pm tonight - but I'll report my results asap!

whippinpost91850

i'm really getting excited about this project, It's bee awhile since I've done any electronics project and this is my first into computer type stuff. Just ordered same Raspberry PI kit as Elantric and the GP10 earlier today 8)

Elantric

QuoteI find it amusing it says GP10 right on the Raspberry circuit board
Actually that is "GPIO" printed on the PCB  = "General Purpose Input  / Output

whippinpost91850

I figured it meant something else, but just find it ironic considering it's the GP10 savior to not have to have Computer on Stage

Elantric

QuoteI figured it meant something else, but just find it ironic considering it's the GP10 savior to not have to have Computer on Stage

When I get this working with GP-10 , my next attempt will be adding 5 pin MIDI I/O to the Boss GT-001 

Raspberry Pi

loulea

Quote from: Elantric on August 06, 2014, 02:02:59 PM

When I get this working with GP-10 , my next attempt will be adding 5 pin MIDI I/O to the Boss GT-001

You are going to see how easy it is. Add it to that it to that forum as well. Do have a GT-001 as well? You must be a Roland/Boss Rep!! ;)
Music is in everyone!!

loulea

Found this user manual for the PI from Element14 who are part of the Raspberry PI foundation and owns Newark Electronics. I ordered my PI from these guys and it came the next day. Try these guys if deciding to buy one.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/ProductData/Manuals/83-16333.pdf
Music is in everyone!!

gumtown

Might as well get the most out of the Pi, not just as a USB/Midi cross connect, but as a midi synth too.

PiTron Mellotron

Piana Analog type synthesis

More about PIANA that employs SEVEN linked Raspberry Pi's!

Phil Atkins Blog
Soft synths and iPads and Raspberry Pi
http://raspberrypisynthesizer.blogspot.com/

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Spider

This is very very inspiring...

MusicOverGear

A sampler would be an ideal complement to the GP-10 IF it could be made rock solid stable/reliable.  

Also, adding a small display would make it handy for other things, too:
Set break DJ
Play Tracks
full screen clock or countdown timer
looper

Personally I'm going to just get MIDI working and give it 100 shows to see how reliable it is first. I would like the extra features but I can't take the load of any more gear stress at the moment. It's overwhelming just learning to play the GP-10.

loulea

Discovered that there is a possibility that you could damage the SD card if you remove power without shutting down properly  :o! This could be a bummer if your on stage after a brown out after which the PI doesn't boot. I'm implementing a shutdown switch via the GPIO on mine, so for your PI, make sure you do a safe shutdown via software. The shutdown switch is going to be needed when you don't have a keyboard and mouse. I'll let you know when it is implemented and I can provide the details.
Music is in everyone!!

mbenigni

This topic keeps bringing me back to a different approach:

I keep thinking that a capable iOS developer could write an app that ran in the background monitoring all I/O on the lightning port, detecting proprietary Roland packets, and sending out translated MIDI information to MIDI-aware apps.  And/or vice-versa.  Effectively, a GP-10 MIDI driver for iOS.  It's a tall order (Objective-C kicks my ass at any rate) but am I missing something that would make it impossible?

loulea

Quote from: mbenigni on August 07, 2014, 06:59:25 AM
This topic keeps bringing me back to a different approach:

I keep thinking that a capable iOS developer could write an app that ran in the background monitoring all I/O on the lightning port, detecting proprietary Roland packets, and sending out translated MIDI information to MIDI-aware apps.  And/or vice-versa.  Effectively, a GP-10 MIDI driver for iOS.  It's a tall order (Objective-C kicks my ass at any rate) but am I missing something that would make it impossible?

I was thinking the same thing! Need a good programmer!
Music is in everyone!!

mbenigni

Quote from: loulea on August 07, 2014, 07:03:34 AM
I was thinking the same thing! Need a good programmer!

Glad to hear it - makes me feel OK about semi-hijacking your thread.  ;)   Yes, we would need a good programmer, armed with a lot of proprietary Roland info.

loulea

Quote from: mbenigni on August 07, 2014, 07:07:17 AM
Glad to hear it - makes me feel OK about semi-hijacking your thread.  ;)   Yes, we would need a good programmer, armed with a lot of proprietary Roland info.

Everything you would need would be in their  Midi Implementation document which is available on their downloads page. The only thing we don't have is the driver details for the USB but since PI takes care of that we can give the go ahead to our developer for the APP. The PI would take commands from the IPAD and get the data VIA MIDI and display similar to the Boss Tone Studio program. You got me going now! ;D

Let me know how much you are willing to fork out  ;)!!
Music is in everyone!!

mbenigni

QuoteThe only thing we don't have is the driver details for the USB but since PI takes care of that we can give the go ahead to our developer for the APP. The PI would take commands from the IPAD and get the data VIA MIDI and display similar to the Boss Tone Studio program.

Not certain we're on the same page here.  I'm talking about taking the Pi out of the equation (LOL) altogether.  In other words, the iOS app in the background would need to translate any MIDI to/from USB I/O that was directly parse-able by the GP10.  You're correct in saying that we would first need the USB driver spec (probably the Mac version, but either way I suspect this would be a major undertaking.)

MusicOverGear

I'm committed to the Pi route and I am SOOOO grateful for the work done so far and going into the future.

iOS sounds neat. A PIC solution (e.g. Arduino type) would be ideal for me because it would be reliable, rugged, fungible, permanently installed, and cheap. My main concern for control devices is reliability.

Really hoping something comes along to make GP-10 usable with Arduino USB Host. Until then I'm game to contribute anything I can to this project.

Another idea for shutdown: maybe more work than what you're exploring, but can you assign a key command to shutdown on the Linux desktop? If so it might be worth the effort to yank the board out of thrift store keyboard and make a button just for that key combo.

Elantric

Turns out all I had on hand were blank 64GB Micro SD cards.

I'll have 16GB SD cards arriving Friday actually later today! - though its possible the source image file has an issue. When I unzipped the source Image file - Here at my end  the 2GB source file unzipped to 16GB, but I get an error message
When I installed the  16GB Image from Loulea , and installed in my Pi, I only had solid red LEDs on the Pi, and after waiting 2 minutes, I never got it to boot.
- so the journey continues.