SampleTank3 - So far, so good...

Started by shawnb, July 28, 2014, 11:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

I'm really enjoying ST3 thus far...  Good sounds, very stable, only a few little glitches on their early release - and so far, workarounds for all of those. 

At the moment, my favorite feature is the setlists.   You can browse around songs & patches within songs using Program Changes.   And, yes, the FTP sends PCs when you use the dpad up & down keys.  So... I've had a lot of success navigating around within ST3 using the FTP, once I setup some Set Lists how I wanted 'em.   

And ST3 pre-caches all of your multis within a song when you load a song...   Instant changes. 

Interesting...   This is EXACTLY what I think the FTP folks were trying to do.   Completely hands off, navigating around ST3, with a LARGE VISUAL INDICATOR that you are navigating where you want, loading the song you want & playing the patch you want...   

Since both songs & patches use PCs, you must be very careful how you structure your PCs...   I.e., if you do a SONG as PC10 and that song's multis as PCs11-15, and the next song as PC20 and its multis as PCs 21-25, etc.   That way you don't accidentally change songs when you're just trying to change patches.   Once I realized that, it became very easy to use...   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

IanRamos

Amazing !
I didn't know they released it already , i was waiting for it since i saw the demos of Jordan Rudess about a year ago !
And if it integrates well with the FTP that's a dream come true !
Please make some demos !

Kenmac

Just thought I'd give you all a heads-up on this. Yesterday IK Multimedia released Sampletank 3 Free which I figured they'd do seeing as how they'd released free versions of earlier Sampletank versions. Here's what they say on the website:

Your free entry into a whole new world of sounds

Experience the full creative power and processing flexibility of IK's ultimate sound and groove workstation with SampleTank 3 Free. It gives you the freedom to experiment with a fully functional and expanding library of high-quality instruments that illustrate SampleTank 3's broad sonic versatility.

Each week, IK will release a new set of instruments that can be downloaded and added to SampleTank 3 Free's instrument library for a total of 22 fully functional and high quality free instruments. The first instrument included is a pitch-perfect representation of one of the best German-made concert grand pianos of all time.

Though you can import and use only these instruments, SampleTank 3 Free lets you access a virtually unlimited world of sound options via its 3 sample engines, 55 high-quality effects, 16-channel mixer and other advanced features. Download it today and discover why SampleTank 3 is considered the new industry standard.

This week's sound: Grand Piano 1 SE

A beautifully rendered representation of a Hamburg-made concert grand piano that's been meticulously sampled down to the finest detail. It provides you with an extremely musical, dynamic and naturally versatile instrument that fits perfectly in any style of music from classical to rock and from jazz to soul. Its state-of-the-art programming and included high-end effects — like its virtual piano lid and true-to-life string and soundboard harmonic resonance — make for a fantastic playing experience that will make you believe you're in the room with one of the richest and most beautiful concert grand pianos of all time. And you'll also have infinite sound sculpting possibilities thanks to SampleTank 3's immense studio FX collection: Now you're covered for literally all the acoustic piano sounds your productions could ever call for.

I was trying out the piano last night using the MIDI Guitar program and it really is a nice sounding piano and unlike some of my other VSTs, it responds quite quickly. The thing I like about this new version of Sampletank are the new built in effects and the mixer page, especially the EQ settings. You have a lot of tone shaping possibilities with this. Another thing that GP-10 owners may appreciate is the fact that Sampletank also follows the "set list" paradigm that the GP-10 software uses.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the other 21 instruments will be that they're making freely available. Maybe a kazoo or bagpipes?  ;)  Just kidding. I'm sure it'll be along the lines of bass, drums, Rhodes piano, organ and maybe some orchestral instruments like brass or violins as well.

Here's the website:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank3free/

The only thing is you do have to make an account but it's very easy. When you download Sampletank 3 Free you'll also install a program to authorize it and when you do, just look in the User Area then look under My Products and you'll see an authorization code which can be copied and pasted into the program and you're all set.

It's available for Mac and Windows. Enjoy.  :)
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

mbenigni

Thanks, Kenmac.  I haven't dug into iOS in a while, but I think I'll install this over the weekend and see what kind of results I get with JamOrigin MIDI Guitar.

Elantric

FWIW - SampleTank 3 is for Win / Mac - not IOS.

mbenigni

FrankG

Same here running as a standalone...

The Sound content files took quite some time to download now configure... But absolutely stunning sound quality... And the keyed articulations are quite smooth...

My Fishman is only a month old so lots of the software stuff is a bit of a learning curve... But overall the Fishman n Sampletank 3 look like the ultimate combo...

Next on my list will be to get a handle on utilizing the Midi control potential of a RigKontrol for set, song n patch switches...

SampleTank 3 thumbs up!

the power to do nothing is tremendous, but it must not be abused...

parks

I know this is a simple question that I could find the answer to myself but im at work so can't access either the Fishman or IK multimedia sites.

Did you guys download Sampletank from the fishman or the IK multimedia site?

Cheers

Toby.

Elantric

Sampletank3 is an extra purchase

After purchase they email you a download link.

www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank3/

parks

Thanks Elantric.

I was hoping us FTP owners might get a free upgrade to Sampletank 3. I've already got Komplete 9 ultimate so i'll just stick with that for now.

alfstone

Sorry, but...something not clear to me.

I have FTP Mac Version, version 1.2.3672, 32 bit.

Now, according to what I read online, SampleTank 3 is only 64 bit. So, how does FTP software can read 64 bit patches?

Alfredo

Elantric

FTP can launch in either 64 bit mode or 32 bit mode  - regardless if Windows or OSX.
http://www.fishman.com/tripleplay/faqs#tip_61
Is TriplePlay 64-bit compatible?
Yes. You can choose to launch TriplePlay in either 32 or 64 bit mode. On Windows, just launch whichever version you prefer. On Mac, right-click on the app, choose "Get Info", and check/uncheck the box for "Open in 32 Bit Mode".

Read the Fishman Tripleplay "TripleTalik" Blog
http://tripletalk.fishman.com/

Kenmac

For those of you that downloaded Sampletank 3 free, this weeks instruments are now available to download. Here's what they say on the website:

"Free Sound Set of the Week: Rhythm Section

Add some percussive punch to your SampleTank 3 Free experience with IK's latest sound release. It features sounds that show off the next generation sound workstation's comprehensive rhythm section. You get one high-quality, meticulously sampled instrument from each of the following categories: Acoustic Drums, Electronic Drums, Percussion and Bass. In addition, you also get two superb Synth Bass sounds to choose from. With each you will enjoy the endless potential for fine-tuning and sound design afforded by the full version's battery of macro controls, effects processors, sample engines and other advanced features. Now you're ready explore an entirely new rhythmic frontier with SampleTank 3 Free!"

Once again, the website is http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank3free/  If you're logged in you should find the sounds ready to download in your "User Area" then "My Products" portion of the site.

Kenmac

New sounds are available for Sampletank 3 free this week. From the website:

"Free Sounds Just Released: Loops and Synths

From raw sawtooth waves to acoustic hip-hop loops, this week's sound release for SampleTank 3 Free is all about electronic music. It showcases the next generation sound workstation's impressive range of drum loops and synthesizers. You get one high-quality instrument from each of the following categories: Synth Lead, Synth Pad and Synth FX. These instruments come with MIDI patterns that you can use to experiment with SampleTank 3's powerful new MIDI player section. You also get 17 hip-hop acoustic drum loops and 63 chromatically mapped EDM loops that you can use to get in the groove immediately. With each instrument and loop you will enjoy the endless potential for fine-tuning and sound design afforded by the full version's battery of macro controls, effects processors, sample engines and other advanced features. Download it today for your free peek into SampleTank 3's whole new world of sounds.

Available sounds Synth Lead NEW! Free Sound

Rawsaw Lead

A timeless sawtooth wave analog synth lead with delayed vibrato and a rich echoed reverb effect, perfect for everything from cutting-edge EDM to vintage rock and R&B tracks. It also works great as a bass in the low register. Try different FX and filters on this one for endless variations.

MIDI Patterns: 3 MIDI Patterns included.

Synth Pad NEW! Free Sound

4-Osc Analog Velo Pad

Ultra-warm filtered sawtooth wave strings with a perfectly dialed-in envelope attack. 4 oscillators gives a lush detuning to the pad that you can't get with just a simple chorus effect. Both the mod wheel and aftertouch modulate the filter for extra expression.

MIDI Patterns: 3 MIDI Patterns included.

Synth FX NEW! Free Sound

Jazz Funk Orch Stabs

40 different dynamic brass, orchestra and percussion hits mapped chromatically up the keyboard for use in any musical production that needs punctuation with character and style. We've also included a brass MIDI pattern that works well with this instrument. Transpose the pattern for different timbres!

MIDI Patterns: 1 MIDI Pattern included.

Loops NEW! Free Sound

Hip Hop 9 109 bpm

A17 expertly-recorded acoustic drum loops with some serious swing and groove to use as the foundation for your Hip Hop, R&B, funk, fusion or even classic rock track! Includes subtle performance articulations that only a top pro drummer can deliver.

NEW! Free Sound

EDM 4 128 bpm

63 individual loops mapped chromatically up the keyboard to use as a "construction kit" for building the perfect high-energy modern EDM track. Loops include separate kick drum, snares, claps, percussion, synth effects, bass, pads, comping, etc. so you can choose the exact combination you want for each section of your song."

Once again you should find the downloads in your User Area. Use the same URL that's listed in the previous message.

Kenmac

There are three new sounds available this week for Sampletank 3 free and two of them are guitars!  ;) The electric sound in particular may be of interest to those of us who own or have used Boss and Roland gear because it uses an emulation of a certain amp. From the website:

"Free Sounds Just Released: Guitars and Ethnic

This week's sound release for SampleTank 3 Free showcases the next generation sound workstation's impressive ability to replicate the nuanced tonality and expressiveness of guitars and other stringed instruments. You get a steel string guitar, a single coil electric guitar and even a Chinese gu zheng zither. All of these instruments show off SampleTank 3's multiple articulations feature, which helps you mimic the organic tonality of real instruments. Each instrument comes with its own set of MIDI patterns that you can use to experiment with SampleTank 3's powerful new MIDI player section. In addition, with each sound you will enjoy the endless potential for fine-tuning and sound design afforded by the full version's battery of macro controls, effects processors, sample engines and other advanced features. Download it today for your free peek into SampleTank 3's whole new world of sounds.

Available sounds

Acoustic Guitar
NEW! Free Sound

Steel String 2 Picked Multi-Articulation Acoustic Guitar with Key Switching

The timeless sound of a 6-string Martin D35 acoustic guitar played with a pick. Key switching changes between standard picked, fret slide and harmonic articulations.

MIDI Patterns

3 MIDI Patterns included.

Electric Guitar
NEW! Free Sound

Single Coil 1 Slight Mod Clean Electric Guitar

The clean, glassy tone of a Fender Stratocaster played through a Roland Jazz Chorus amplifier with a smooth flanger and echo effect to let you play hi-fi arpeggios and chords with a guitar sound that never goes out of style.

MIDI Patterns

5 MIDI Patterns included.

Ethnic
NEW! Free Sound

Gu Zheng Multi-Articulation with Key Switching

A top-quality Chinese zither played with 6 different articulations available via key switching for startlingly realistic real-time performance. Bring a bit of old world Asia to your productions!

MIDI Patterns

3 MIDI Patterns included."

Once again if you're a registered user you should find the new sounds in the User Area under the "My Products" portion of the website.

Kenmac

There are three new sounds available this week and they're all in the keyboard category. From the website:

"Keys take center stage in this week's sound release for SampleTank 3 Free. From mellow jazz to groovy funk, it showcases the next generation sound workstation's impressive range of high-quality keyboard sounds. Inside you'll find a classic electric piano, a versatile tonewheel organ and a plucky vintage clavinet. Each instrument comes with its own set of MIDI patterns that you can use to experiment with SampleTank 3's powerful new MIDI player section. In addition, with each sound you will enjoy the endless potential for fine-tuning and sound design afforded by the full version's battery of macro controls, effects processors, sample engines and other advanced features. Download it today for your free peek into SampleTank 3's whole new world of sounds.

Available sounds

Electric Piano

NEW!

Free Sound

Stage EP

This classic electric piano with a bell-like tine attack and warm, full sustain is the perfect choice for simple chord pads, kinetic comping or full-tilt jazz and R&B jams. The autopan stereo tremolo and plate reverb effect adds to the richness of this iconic instrument.

MIDI Patterns

7 MIDI Patterns included.

Organ

NEW!

Free Sound

3-5 Drawbars Organ

There is nothing like the sound of a Hammond tonewheel organ through a rotating speaker with a valve preamp and amplifier. Whether you're playing rock, jazz, R&B, blues or gospel, this instrument will give you everything from pure clean organ tone to the gritty overdrive provided by our top effects imported from AmpliTube.

MIDI Patterns

Chromatic

NEW!

Free Sound

Clavinet 1 Phaser

Funky is a word you cannot avoid when discussing the sound of a classic Hohner D6 clavinet. Groovy riffs and comping will flow from your fingers when you hear this vintage beauty and pair it with all the incredible effects that SampleTank 3 has to offer.

MIDI Patterns

2 MIDI Patterns included."

Once again if you're a registered user you should find the new sounds in the User Area under the "My Products" portion of the website.

Elantric

Or are these "SampleTank Free" samples still worth downloading for owners of retail version of IK SampleTank 3  ?

Aren't these already included in full retail version ?

Kenmac

Quote from: Elantric on October 24, 2014, 09:49:14 AM
Or are these "SampleTank Free" samples still worth downloading for owners of retail version of IK SampleTank 3  ?

Aren't these already included in full retail version ?

If you have the full retail version you don't need to download these. They're for the free version.

Kenmac

Here are some more free sounds for Sampletank 3 Free. From the website:

"Free Sounds Just Released: Strings, Woodwinds, Brass, Voices

This week's sound release for SampleTank 3 Free showcases the next generation sound workstation's range of orchestral and ensemble sections. With it you'll be able to get that big classical sound with an 11 violin string section, a pop vocal ensemble, a flute and even a pop brass ensemble complete with sax, trombone and trumpet. Many of the instruments feature multiple articulations that let you add a dash of live expressiveness. And each instrument comes with its own set of MIDI patterns that you can use to experiment with SampleTank 3's powerful new MIDI player feature. In addition, with all sounds you will enjoy the endless potential for fine-tuning and sound design afforded by the full version's battery of macro controls, effects processors, sample engines and other advanced features. Download it today for your free peek into SampleTank 3's whole new world of sounds

Strings
NEW!
Free Sound

11 Violins Multi-Articulation with Key Switching

Taken from IK's popular Miroslav Philharmonik Virtual Instrument and optimized especially for SampleTank 3, this classical string section lets you change between multiple articulations with our easy-to-use key switching system — Now you can go from a sustained note to staccato to pizzicato and more in a snap.

MIDI Patterns

Woodwinds
NEW!
Free Sound

Flute Multi-Articulation with Key Switching

Also from the Miroslav Philharmonik Virtual Instrument and optimized for SampleTank 3 is this solo flute complete with multiple articulations available for instant access via key switching. It's suitable for classical, pop and everything in between.

MIDI Patterns

4 MIDI Patterns included.

Brass
NEW!
Free Sound

Sax, Trombone and Trumpet

A trio of pop brass instruments that you can use to give your tracks some punch and color. New sessions recorded especially for SampleTank 3 let you have full control of this ensemble from your desktop.

MIDI Patterns

4 MIDI Patterns included.

Voices
NEW!
Free Sound

Ooh Soft Ensemble

Another ensemble recorded especially for SampleTank 3, this group of 2 men and 2 women give you the lush vocal "ooh" pads that will benefit every production. Use the macro controls to adjust the attack and release to dial in exactly the envelope your song needs.

MIDI Patterns

3 MIDI Patterns included."

Also, while you're on the Sampletank website be sure to download the update for Sampletank 3 Free which you'll find in the User Area section along with these sounds. It updates it to version 3.3. Once again the URL is http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank3free/

Elantric

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug15/articles/ik-multimedia-sampletank-3.htm
IK Multimedia SampleTank 3

Sample-based Virtual Instrument
Published in SOS August 2015

Eleven years is a long time in software, so the new version of SampleTank ought to be pretty impressive.
John Walden

IK Multimedia will be well known to many SOS readers. The company make competitively priced hardware add-ons for music production and also have a line of software that includes the popular virtual guitar rig AmpliTube, a number of virtual instruments and the T-Racks range of audio effects/processors. This catalogue includes SampleTank, a sample-based virtual instrument that is 16-part multitimbral, provides support for multi-layer, multi-articulation sampled instruments, can play back both audio and MIDI loops (patterns) and is supplied with a broad palette of sounds that cover all the major instrument groups.

The last time SOS looked at SampleTank was quite some time ago when we reviewed SampleTank 2 back in February 2004. If you were a SampleTank fan back then, you'll have had to wait quite some time for the next major update. A little over 10 years later, SampleTank 3 has now appeared (and, indeed, during the course of writing this review, v3.5 was released, so it's this incarnation of the software that I've looked at here). By modern music technology standards, that's a pretty lengthy upgrade cycle. So, with v3.5, have IK Multimedia bought SampleTank right up to date so it can slug it out against the obvious sample-based virtual instrument competition?

What's In The Tank?

IK Multimedia describe SampleTank 3 as 'the ultimate sound and groove workstation'. While that's a pretty bold statement, as with SampleTank 2, it does perhaps hint that this is a virtual instrument that might appeal more to those who want to work with the supplied content (and perhaps tweak it somewhat) rather than someone who wants to build their own sample-based instruments from scratch.

This version brings a complete redesign of the user interface. While familiar elements remain (for example, the Parts list within the Play screen, where you can see the instrument loaded into each of SampleTank's 16 parts), there are now four main workspaces within the overall environment — Play, Mix, Edit and Pad — and each of these is accessed via the four tab buttons located top-left of the main interface.

The latest version is a 64-bit only application, and supports the standard plug-in formats for both Windows and OS X, and stand-alone operation. As well as a visual update, the supplied sample library has also been substantially expanded. The 4.5GB library from v2 has been replaced with over 33GB of content including 4000 plus instruments, some 2500 drum and percussion loops and over 2000 MIDI patterns. As before, you also get an impressive collection of audio effects that can be used within SampleTank's mixer. Many of these are culled from IK Multimedia's other products such as AmpliTube and T-Racks.

Hey, Good Looking

The Play page allows you to browse all of this content and assemble a set of instruments within the 16 available slots. On the right you also get a mini-mixer, so you can tweak level and pan without having to flip to the full Mixer page. Each of the 16 parts can contain one instrument and, as well as playing this like a standard MIDI instrument, you can also assign up to 128 MIDI patterns to MIDI notes if you wish. While the obvious thing to do with the Parts would simply be to have them respond to MIDI channels 1 through to 16, because you can adjust the MIDI channel and note range for each part, you can also configure layered sounds or keyboard splits via these options.

At the base of the Play page is a virtual keyboard (useful for seeing where MIDI patterns or articulation keyswitches might be for the currently selected Part) and, above this, a strip of controls that can be toggled between Macro view (eight virtual knobs for easy editing of key parameters for the selected Part) and FX view (where you can tweak the effects settings for any of the five insert effects you are allowed for each Part. All of this 'easy access' functionality means that you will probably spend a lot of time on the Play page.

The Mix page gives you a more detailed take on the virtual mixer for your 16 parts. You can configure up to five inserts per Part and there are four send/return effects available. These have their own mixer channels and can also contain a chain of up to five effects. Used with a suitable audio interface or within a DAW, you can also route each Part to a specific output from SampleTank if you want to add further mixing options elsewhere.

The Mix page allows you to do all the routine mixing tasks for your 16 parts including configuration of insert and send effects.
The Edit page provides a synthesizer-like editing environment where you can tweak the properties of the currently selected Part. There is quite an impressive set of options available here, which include velocity, LFO, filter (with 10 different filter types to choose from) and envelope settings spread across a number of sub-panels. This includes the Sample panel, which allows you to switch between three different sample-playback engines and to adjust how SampleTank handles formants. (The Harm Shift and Preserv knobs can make it much easier to get realistic results when pitch-shifting some sample types, especially vocal samples.)

While you can't get at the raw samples, the Edit page provides plenty of options for customising the sound of an instrument.
The Edit page is easy to use and offers plenty of creative options, but what it doesn't do is allow you to dig into your virtual instrument and start manipulating individual samples or sample layers. It's perhaps here that it is most clear that the design philosophy of SampleTank is one of playback and detailed tweaking of pre-configured sample-based instruments, rather than an environment designed for those who want to create their own sample-based instruments. Yes, you can load your own samples — via the Import Samples option accessed from the Play page — but if you need to craft your own multi-layered, multi-articulation instruments, then there are better platforms for doing that than SampleTank. It is worth noting, however, that you can easily import instruments from earlier versions of SampleTank; that process is actually rather slick.

The final page, Pads, allows you to use SampleTank with a set of drum pad triggers. Obviously, this page will be of most use for triggering loops/patterns or drum sounds. I happened to have an IK Multimedia iRig Pads unit handy, and this achieves a pretty tight integration between the hardware and software, including the ability to browse and select instruments as well as triggering samples.

Sound Investment

In our v2 review, Sam Inglis was very complimentary about many of the sound groups offered (for example, the drum kits, basses and organs), but less enthusiastic about others (for example, the orchestral samples). With such a significant increase in the size of the library you would hope that is also reflected in some universal improvements in the sounds. I didn't have access to SampleTank 2 to make a direct comparison but I was generally impressed by the quality and breadth of what v3 offers.

There are some very usable drum kits, basses and organs, and, for single-note performances, also some nice acoustic guitars, plenty of very solid synth-based sounds and some useful percussion. I suspect quite a bit of work has gone into the orchestral sounds and, while I wouldn't put SampleTank at the top of the pile for strings or brass if I was a dedicated orchestral composer, within a mix (as opposed to solo and exposed), there are some very playable instruments here. This includes some decent multi-articulation instruments amongst the orchestral strings, so you can easily use keyswitches to flip between sustained, staccato, pizzicato and tremolo, for example, as required.

The range and quality of the effects included within SampleTank are very impressive.
If I had to find some words for the overall character of the supplied library of instruments, phrases such as 'broad palette', 'solid and playable' or 'caters for almost any music genre' would just about sum things up. There are some suitably cutting-edge electronic sounds in here (SampleTank can do EDM if you supply the musical inspiration), but there are perhaps other, more specialised virtual instruments that would outperform what's here in almost all categories. Jack-of-all-trades rather than master of one? Maybe so, but for some users that may be exactly what's required.

The Pads page allows you to configure SampleTank to work with a set of drum pads including IK Multimedia's own iRig Pads.
In discussing the library content, however, I shouldn't overlook the audio loops and MIDI patterns. These also have plenty to offer and the MIDI patterns in particular can make for some very rapid idea sketching when you are up against a deadline. If you are using SampleTank as a plug-in, these can easily be dragged and dropped into your DAW or sequencer host for further editing and manipulation.

Finally, in terms of the overall package, it is also worth saying that the effects options are hugely impressive. You may not get to dig inside the sample-based instruments but, with the combination of the Edit page and the extensive collection of very good audio effects, there is actually a huge amount of creative potential for shaping the sounds.

Smooth Operator?

The performance SampleTank 3.5 was, on the whole, very solid, used both as a stand-alone application and as a plug-in within Reaper (I can't run my usual DAW of choice, Cubase Pro 8, in 64-bit mode on my test machine due to some other plug-in incompatibilities). Indeed, it ran very nicely within Reaper and, given the diverse and very usable sound palette, I could easily find myself turning to it while working on my own musical projects. As a quick source of solid sounds — and with the 16-part multitimbral format — SampleTank 3 is rather good at its job. Finding the sounds you want is simple and, if it is just a case of selecting half a dozen sounds to start composing with, this is about as a easy as it gets.

Conclusion

SampleTank 3 is a big step up from the previous version. The redesigned interface is pretty easy to navigate and, within limits (that is, no digging right down into sample-level editing), offers plenty of creative scope with the synth engine editing and audio effects provided. The sounds are generally very good and the palette is broad.

For those requiring a single source of sounds in a convenient format, SampleTank 3 has a lot going for it. It might not be the most powerful or cutting-edge sample-based virtual instrument you could choose, but as a creative workhorse for those that want to focus on playing rather than on hand-crafting sounds, it would be a very solid starting point.

Alternatives
There is a bewildering array of virtual instruments available to the current computer-based musician and, in that regard, SampleTank 3 is up against much stiffer competition than its predecessor back in 2004. As with v2, however, I don't think SampleTank is a direct competitor for something like Native Instruments' Kontakt 5. Kontakt is slightly more expensive, but both applications ship with similarly sized sample libraries. Both can be expanded with additional libraries, and IK Multimedia have a fairly substantial set of sound add-ons available. Recent additions include drum libraries from Billy Cobham and Neil Peart and a range of electronic music production options. Kontakt is perhaps better suited for those who need to dig in right down to the sample level. In contrast, SampleTank is perhaps a somewhat easier beast to master if you are happy to process and tweak a set of preset instruments.
Perhaps a more obvious comparison is with some of the virtual instruments bundled with one of the better desktop DAWs. For example, Steinberg's Cubase includes Halion Sonic SE and Groove Agent 4 SE, and between them they might provide something not a million miles away from SampleTank. Of course, not all DAWs come fully loaded with virtual instruments and SampleTank 3 might be the perfect companion for the computer-based composer looking for a good 'all rounder' virtual instrument, particularly if they are working in a number of different genres.