Boss GP-10

Started by Elantric, March 10, 2014, 06:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

QuoteMaybe the Antares pedal?
Ah, but the Antares pedal is a beast as well.

QuoteThe guitar to MIDI kind of replaces the PCM tones which could be good if it can trigger soft-synths on PC (which they say i does) and Ipad.
Latency is something that would be worth checking. If it can get as close to FTP, then it would be interesting.
I'd be surprised if the guitar to MIDI tech were substantially different to that in the GR55.  Roland tends to slice and dice and repackage every year.  But I hope I'm wrong.

QuoteI would not miss the looper either.
Yes, the GR55 looper was a joke.  I'd have been all for an enhanced GR55 with a proper looper, i.e. one with a decent running length, proper stop/start/undo/redo controls, routing between effects, etc.  But failing that, better off without it.

Elantric

QuoteUSB audio/MIDI interface for multi-channel audio recording (including individual string output) and guitar-to-MIDI conversion with GK pickup

I'm most excited about this new GP-10 utility for separate Processing of each string independently  - (rather like the 2009 Gibson Dark Fire), for Pure Data / NI Reaktor
QuoteIt does state re-amp and re-guitar. The second option would suggest poly string out and in. That would make it an amazingly flexible unit in combination with a laptop or Macbook.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4222.0

http://www.roland.co.jp/products/jp/GP-10/
Quoteguitar processor overwhelming representation of the guitar / synth modeling, alternate tuning features, multi-effects are fused.
Can be switched instantly to freely set the tuning and COSM guitar modeling in combination with the GK pickup equipped guitar. Sound of thick analog modeling synth equipped. Multi-effects is evolved guitar processor that can also be used at the input of the guitar cable normal, spread infinitely expressive guitar.

? guitar modeling a wide range of types of electric guitar, which is the name of the machine, acoustic guitar, fretless guitar, sitar as well, including
? 12-string guitar sound open, from the down-tuning, set your own also possible alternate tuning features further
? It is equipped with a multi-effects and COSM amp latest
? normal guitar input equipment that can be used as a stand-alone multi-effects guitar also connected during normal
? analog modeling synth you do not feel the stress of latency when playing
? USB audio ReAmp and ReGuitar is possible, the guitar is equipped with a MIDI output can function as a MIDI information
? By installing the (TONE STUDIO) editor / librarian, available for download tone patch of top professional created from TONE CENTRAL
? while being equipped with a pedal and four expression pedal, and housing a very compact. Can be built-in to the pedal board
===============
http://www.rolandus.com/blog/2014/03/14/gp-10-guitar-processor/

New BOSS GP-10 Guitar Processor
by Jim Bybee [Roland US] Products

Instrument Modeling, Altered Tunings, Multi-FX, and Beyond

Featuring a powerful instrument modeling engine and diverse multi-effects, the new GP-10 Guitar Processor puts an incredible sonic spectrum under your fingers. Driven by BOSS' acclaimed COSM technology, the GP-10 gives you instant access to guitar, bass, and synth models, tuning changes, and world-class amps and effects, all in one convenient pedal. In addition to providing unparalleled versatility for stage playing, the GP-10's unique multi-channel audio capabilities and guitar-to-MIDI conversion open new creative opportunities for music production in the studio.

GP-10 Guitar Processor

COSM Amps and Effects, Plus Inputs for Normal and GK Pickups
The GP-10 supports a normal guitar and/or a guitar equipped with a Roland GK pickup. The multi-effects section features COSM amps and effects derived from the BOSS' flagship GT-100, and these can be used with any guitar via a standard 1/4-inch cable. The 13-pin GK input provides access to both the instrument modeling and multi-effects sections, opening up the GP-10's full range of sound-making potential.

When using a GK pickup with the GP-10, you can instantly change your guitar's entire sound and/or tuning with the press of a footswitch or pedal. Powered by real-time DSP, the GP-10's modeled instruments are ultra-responsive and highly expressive. They can also be blended with the normal guitar sound, putting an infinite range of tones at your command.

Modeled Guitars, Analog Synths, Altered Tunings, and More
The GP-10 includes classic electric guitar models with single coils and humbuckers, as well as steel- and nylon-string acoustics, basses, banjo, resonator, fretless guitar, and a sitar. There's also an analog-modeled synth engine on board, which powers an emulation of the legendary Roland GR-300 guitar synth as well as a super-fat OSC Synth with two oscillators and a ton of adjustable sound parameters. In addition, the Poly FX section provides a range of unique sounds only possible with GK processing, including Slow Pad, Crystal, and others.

With any of the GP-10's modeled instrument sounds, you can change your guitar's tuning any way you like—all without ever touching your tuning keys! Presets are available for many different open tunings and 12-string sounds, plus "down" tunings that are essential for heavy modern rock playing. Of course, it's also possible to go wild and create your own custom tunings, with a range of +/- 12 semitones available on each string.

GP-10 guitar processor rear view

GP-10 Guitar Processor – Rear View

Unique Sound Possibilities for Studio Recording
Via its integrated USB audio/MIDI interface, you're able to use the GP-10 to record pro amp and effect tones in your DAW with any guitar. You can also capture dry signals, and then re-amp them through the GP-10 to dial in the perfect tones for your mixes. Using a GK pickup extends your potential even further, providing sound capabilities that go far beyond any normal guitar processor.

GP-10 Guitar Processor in the studio

GP-10 Guitar Processor – Studio

For example, you can record the output of your guitar's six strings individually on separate tracks, either processed with the GP-10 or captured dry for later processing. Multi-string sound recording opens entirely new frontiers in guitar recording, allowing you to "re-guitar" sounds after the fact through the GP-10, process your individual strings with separate plug-ins in your DAW, and pan strings in the stereo field while mixing. The possibilities here are really limitless. The guitar-to-MIDI function stretches your creative options even further, letting you use your guitar to play soft synths, capture MIDI sequences, and input MIDI data into music notation software.

BOSS TONE STUDIO and Free Patches
Available as a free download for Mac and Windows, the BOSS TONE STUDIO software lets you edit and organize your GP-10 patches on your computer. The software also provides direct access via USB to the BOSS TONE CENTRAL website, where you can download a growing selection of free patches directly into the GP-10.
http://bosstonecentral.com/

What's a GK Pickup, and How Do I Get One?

In short, a Roland GK pickup is a special "divided" pickup that provides a separate output for each string on your guitar. As you play, the signal for each string is sent independently through a special 13-pin cable to the GP-10. Once it has the separated string signals, the GP-10 can do some amazing sound processing magic that's simply not possible with a normal guitar pickup.

GK-3 Divided Pickup

GK-3 Divided Pickup mounted on a guitar.

The good news is that it's easy to add a GK pickup to nearly any guitar, with no modification necessary. In fact, the GP-10 is available in a specially priced bundle with a Roland GK-3 Divided Pickup
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/651
and a 13-pin cable, and these items are also available separately. Roland's popular GC-1 GK-Ready Stratocaster has a GK pickup built in, making it ideal for use with the GP-10. There are GK-compatible guitars and pickups available from many other manufacturers as well.

Roland GC-1 GK-Ready Stratocaster

13-pin output jack on Roland GC-1 GK-Ready Stratocaster.
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1189/475
Via the optional GKP-2 GK Parallel Cable,
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1318/482
the GP-10 can be used in parallel with Roland GK devices such as the GR-55 Guitar Synthesizer.
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1148/477
For more info about the GP-10 Guitar Processor, visit bossus.com.

sixeight

Now were only hoping for fast patch switching, and no gaps both on switching and in the usb signal.

Ringleader

The USB ports on Boss modelers/processors usually aren't class-compliant, right? If it worked with iPad I would be interested in checking this out.

Smash

So is this a bit like the case of new gen consoles - the software (or in this case patches) taking time to catch up and take advantage of the new units features/models?

I ask because I'm so utterly underwhelmed by the tones on the demo video it's untrue  :-\

LinzHenderson

Quote from: Smash on March 11, 2014, 10:06:56 AM
So is this a bit like the case of new gen consoles - the software (or in this case patches) taking time to catch up and take advantage of the new units features/models?

I ask because I'm so utterly underwhelmed by the tones on the demo video it's untrue  :-\

I think the official demo vids and patches for every Roland VG/GR ever released have done more to put people off than anything else.  Take the VG-99 - its patches don't go anywhere close to showing off the true power of the unit.  Alex Hutchings is an incredible player, but even his demos are pretty poor sound-wise compared to what's possible.  As has been pointed out many times before, the likes of Bill Ruppert should have been hired to write patches.

Just look at the 99's acoustic patches - I've let people hear them then simply switched to the 'Vari' model, and it's like night and day in some cases.

It actually really bugs me, 'cause I've seen it time and time again on YouTube; people demo the patches and viewers are underwhelmed.  And it's not like any of the stores selling this kind of gear ever have someone properly trained to show them off.

Bill Ruppert

Ah its the GP-10.
So its the new VG-99 minus 88 reasons as why its dumb-ed down.

Dont get me wrong I like, it but not what I was hoping for...

Orren Merton

The timing of this is pretty great for me—I sold my GR-55 a couple of months ago, but I do miss the COSM guitar and synth models. This looks like basically that, with a few other niceties.

I've not read up on it closely, but I will now. I have a feeling that this is going to end up in my rig. After all, I do currently have two guitars with piezo 13-pin systems! ;)

BTW, speaking of piezos, I"m sure that this unit will also need some sort of RMC sub-filter...sigh...ah well. It will be interesting to see what the final price of this unit is. Someone guessed 1/4 of the $1499 VG-99, which is about $375; if that is accurate, I'm guessing that will probably translate to about $299 or $399. Maybe $299 w/out GK, $399 with?

Orren

Elantric

QuoteAh its the GP-10.
So its the new VG-99 minus 88 reasons as why its dumb-ed down.

Dont get me wrong I like, it but not what I was hoping for...

Makes me miss the good old days pre 2008 (before the economic meltdown) - also I hate the lack of 5 pin MIDI I/O on all these new Roland units  - makes it near impossible for remote control. (Hello Antares,  there is renewed real opportunity for your new Antares Floor modeller)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7286.0

GeePeeAxe

It looks like Roland/Boss offers only a toy for the hex-guitar users and midiguitarrists, this year.
I guess we have to wait a couple of years to get a professional unit on the market again.  :(

Still hoping,
Djordje

thebrushwithin

Since this is a Boss brand, instead of a Roland, it seems this unit is not intended to be any sort of VG evolution, but rather just another 13 pin unit, aimed at Boss pedal users. At least they are keeping their format alive. Maybe I am mistaken about the significance of the branding.

Spider

Lack of MIDI 5 DIN is horrible!

Elantric

QuoteSince this is a Boss brand, instead of a Roland, it seems this unit is not intended to be any sort of VG evolution, but rather just another 13 pin unit, aimed at Boss pedal users. At least they are keeping their format alive. Maybe I am mistaken about the significance of the branding.

Re Branding of GP-10 as "BOSS" vs "Roland"- this translates into more actual retail dealers around the globe who can actually stock and sell the GP-10. There are more Boss Dealers than Roland Dealers.
While every Roland Dealer is typically also a Boss Dealer, the opposite is not true. There are many Boss dealers who can not order other Roland products. The overhead and "buy-in" terms on a year to year basis are more reasonable for a Mom & Pop music store to be a  Boss Dealer vs a full Roland dealer. So the availability of the new Boss GP-10 should be easier and more plentiful than if GP-10 wore a "Roland"  product badge.     

Elantric

QuoteLack of MIDI 5 DIN is horrible!

Indeed - the bean counters must think "This is all you need" and figure most users will never dream of racking the GP10 and using a remote MIDI Foot controller to access the sounds within.

With luck maybe the MIDI over USB is Class Compliant - then a USB Host to MIDI  I/O box (like Kenton or 1st gen iConnectMIDI box) may be employed to connect a MIDI foot controller

I scream when i meet folks under 30 in Product development positions who love to boast  "5 pin MIDI I/O  is Dead!" 

EDIT:
Yes - turns out Boss GP-10 is NOT  MIDI Class Compliant!

But there are work arounds to acces 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17490.msg124593#msg124593

There is this disturbing trend in latest Roland gear - they provide hundreds of new sounds  - but they removed most of the foot switches and 5 pin DIN MIDI  I/O jacks  - making it impossible for a user to actually access and use these  sounds  in a live performance. I need more than: Up/Down CTL1/CTL2

sixeight

And if they are clever in marketing, they should have put a few interesting things in the unit, to make it useful for existing VG99/GR55 users.

So far only the seperate six string in and out appeals. Now if they seriously improve upon guitar, amp and/or effect models, that would be something. Or maybe a class compliant driver.

So far I am not convinced, but I am curious. Let's wait and see...

Bill Ruppert

The VG99 is still king!
HE-HAW

Spider

USB class compliant... I don't think so... FX are from GT100 it isn't surprise. But I don't believe in new COSM models. And price... to close to used GR55. I'm selling GR and I was looking for GP-10 but now... it would be better to look for used and cheap VG99:)

Orren Merton

I basically agree with all of Elantric's points. I just wanted to add a couple points:

Re: Boss vs. Roland
In addition to everything that Elantric said (which is right, I used to do consulting and limited sales over a decade ago and the same was true then) I would also add two additional points:

1) While there are exceptions, in general BOSS units are more affordable as well. So with this being (hopefully) a low cost unit, the BOSS branding makes sense in that context as well.

2) As we all know, one of the issues with adoption has always been that 13-pin pickups/systems have never appealed to the mainstream "I want a strat and a marshall" crowd. To this crowd, BOSS is the more "guitarist-approved" brand. That is no guarantee of success of course: Other 13-pin pedals have been released under the BOSS brand, and I believe all have done poorly. But this one has the footprint similar to some of the more successful budget BOSS digital multi-effects, which is certainly no accident.

Quote from: Elantric on March 11, 2014, 11:12:12 AM
I scream when i meet folks under 30 in Product development positions who love to boast  "5 pin MIDI I/O  is Dead!"

Agreed, 5-pin MIDI is not dead, even if it's moribund—hell, I still salivate whenever I see some of the amazing Euro-rack stuff that still uses Control Voltage (CV) inputs! :)

That said, as long as you can plug some kind of affordable USB->MIDI converter/break out box, that should cover it. It's clunky, but it will get the job done.

I've said this on other threads, and I'll say it again here—the entire 13-pin world is more or less being supported at this point solely by Roland. It's a tiny little niche, and I appreciate that Roland keeps it going. God knows that even if the GP-10 is the most "mainstream" 13-pin device that they've tried to sell, I would be surprised if it has lifetime sales equal to one year's worth of GT-100 sales!

Orren

Elantric

So far the "Re-Guitar" with 6 separate audio I/O channels over USB  is the only aspect that interests me about the Boss GP-10

QuoteUSB Audio/MIDI Interface Built In
The GP-10 features an onboard USB audio/MIDI interface, making it easy to record great amp and effect tones in
your favorite DAW with any axe. But when you use a GK equipped guitar, the GP-10 becomes an enormously
powerful creative tool that expands your production capabilities beyond any standard guitar processor. For
example, you can record the audio output of each of your guitar's strings on separate tracks, either processed
with the GP-10 or captured dry for later processing. When you record unprocessed sounds in this way, you have
the ability to not only re-amp the tracks through the GP-10's amps, but to "re-guitar" as well, using the GP-10's
instrument modeling to change the sound to anything you want after the fact!
The guitar-to-MIDI function allows
you to stretch your creativity even further, using your guitar to play soft synths, capture MIDI sequences, and
input MIDI data into notation software on your computer.

Rhcole

Well, I found the GR-55 had some subtle improvements in audio clarity, noise reduction, and processing over my VG-99. So, if Roland continues the trend and doesn't just repackage (always a possibility) then this would represent a feature-reduced but technology-enhanced version of the VG series.

Orren Merton

Quote from: Rhcole on March 11, 2014, 11:27:34 AM
Well, I found the GR-55 had some subtle improvements in audio clarity, noise reduction, and processing over my VG-99. So, if Roland continues the trend and doesn't just repackage (always a possibility) then this would represent a feature-reduced but technology-enhanced version of the VG series.

If I were to guess (and this is just a guess), what you are noticing is due to AD/DA converters simply improving over time, and even the lower end, "bargain" processor chips getting more juice. I would imagine that this improvement will always happen, every generation, with digital gear, as long as the company doesn't simply buy remaindered obsoleted chips.

Orren

mbenigni

QuoteThe USB ports on Boss modelers/processors usually aren't class-compliant, right? If it worked with iPad I would be interested in checking this out.

Class-compliant audio and MIDI would definitely put this on my radar.  Especially if the exp and ctl pedals could be mapped to do nothing on the GP-10 itself, so I could use it as a compact interface and footcontroller for iPad apps.  That's the magic bullet I've been looking for - and failing to turn up - for about 3 years now.

A $299 price point as mentioned above would help, too.  $399 puts it too close to GR55 territory, already paid for and with more functionality.

thebrushwithin

QuoteSo far the "Re-Guitar" with 6 separate audio I/O channels over USB  is the only aspect that interests me about the Boss GP-10
Yes, and it might make the StrongArm Sustainer, with USB hex audio out, more valuable, by using a USB cable between the two, and bypassing the 13 pin altogether. That would be exciting, if so.

Ringleader

Prices in USD are:
$499 with pickup http://www.sonicsense.com/boss-gp-10gk.html
$399 without pickup http://www.sonicsense.com/boss-gp-10s.html

alexmcginness

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on March 11, 2014, 11:18:01 AM
The VG99 is still king!
HE-HAW

I agree. I just got a friend of mine into a VG-99. He got the last new one Long & Mcquades had here in Canada. If he ever needs to re-amp he can grab a breakout box. Im glad I got a spare 99 sittin in my studio when I see the new stuff that Roland is bringin out. They keep savin me a trip to the music store. VG-99, GR-55 and an old VG-88 plus a GR-50 and an Axon AX-100 that Im slowly getting set up. Im a happy V Guitarist.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.