GK-3 minimal installation

Started by Terry50, March 12, 2016, 12:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry50

Hello,   :)
I want to install my (inside the guitar) VG-8,   GK-3 pickup in my guitar.
I don't have too much room because I am installing other stuff in the guitar too.
I got the package that is made for inside installation.   I want to know what I can eliminate and not install.

I don't need the volume control, the mix with guitar pickup switch,  the bank control or the patch control.

Is there a special sheet of instructions for this minimal installation?
  Is the GK-3 an active pickup?  I believe it is and that - I need the green circuit board to get the right power out the plug.  Your advice would be much appreciated.   :D

Thank you,
Terry

Headless68

assuming you are controlling everything away from the guitar, the only things you need for minimal install is the pickup, the circuit board and the 13 pin socket
power comes from the device you are connecting to

point to note - if you are not using the mix switch to link to normal guitar pickups the GK3 will hum as it gets ground from the normal guitar circuit so factor into the build getting a ground (from the bridge) to the circuit

Elantric

Don't forget if you omit the GK VOL POT you will never get any sound because the GK processor must see 5VDC on pin # 8

Read the DIY Luthier section for further info
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7893.0

Terry50

Hi,
Thank you for responding.   :)

My pickup splitter box has the +5volts  *   -5volts  which is sent to the circuit through the 13 pin connector.
I know we have the voltage on the right pins because I hooked up a regular GK-3 (outside the guitar) and it worked.

If I understand right, you are saying to get any sound,  you have to have the volume pot.......
I am no expert, but isn't a potentiometer a variable resistor...;   so maybe we can just put in a stable resistor or maybe hook it up direct?

What do you think?   I really don't want a volume control.  Thanks again for helping.

Terry    8)

admin

If I understand right, you are saying to get any sound,  you have to have the GK-3 volume pot.......

Correct - or modify every stock patch to remove the "GK VOL" parameter being the main controller for patch volume. 

Terry50

Hi admsustainiac,   :)
When you say  "modify every stock patch to remove the "GK VOL" parameter",
I am not using a VG-8 floor machine.  I am running to a RMC FanOut  box and then into my 8m  MOTU  interface.
So, I don't believe I have a GK VOL  parameter.
Isn't a volume control a variable resistor?  Can't I just wire it direct  (with no option to turn it down).

Thank you,
Terry   ;D

Elantric

QuoteI am not using a VG-8 floor machine

Why is it mentioned in your 1st post above?
I want to install my (inside the guitar) VG-8,   GK-3 pickup in my guitar.

QuoteI am not using a VG-8 floor machine.  I am running to a RMC FanOut  box and then into my 8m  MOTU  interface.
So, I don't believe I have a GK VOL  parameter

Thats very different - just know if you eventually try to use other GK Processors (GR-55, GP-10, VG-99, VG-88, VG-8, ATG-1, GR-30, GR-33) , without a "GK Volume" control you will get no output.

If you are using a Roland GK-KIT-GT3 Internal kit - Locate white 3 pin connector CN7, and solder a wire between Pin #1 and Pin #2 - where  the VR1 50K Linear Pot (GK-VOL) typically connects. This is equivalent to having the GK-VOL pot on "10" (Max Volume).

Read the DIY Luthier section for further info
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7893.0