DR_JONESS - Filter/Buffer - GR Subsonic Filter w/ 2 Aux Inputs +Efx Loop

Started by drjoness2001, October 10, 2013, 01:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drjoness2001

Introducing the Filter/Buffer, an inline, -24 dB per octave subsonic filter with 2 auxiliary inputs and efx loop. $169 plus $5 shipping (US):

More info:

http://www.joness.com/gr300/Filter-Buffer.htm

Filter/Buffer - Guitar Synthesizer Processor with Subsonic Filters, Auxiliary Inputs and Master Effects Loop

Features and Specifications:

1 - 13-Pin Roland Guitar Input
1 - 13-Pin Roland Guitar Synthesizer Output
6 - Butterworth 4-pole high pass filters, operating at 50 Hz, 75 Hz, and 100 Hz.
2 - Auxiliary Inputs, high-impedance matched for direct guitar or bass output. Also compatible with any audio source.
1 - Master effects loop input, TRS (tip-ring-sleeve). Effects loop processes both standard 13-pin guitar signal, plus auxiliary input signals.
All-analog processing, no latency added to synthesizer
Custom manufactured, high-quality four layer glass epoxy circuit board
Backed by Two-Year Parts and Labor Warranty
Power Consumption: 31 mA
Size: 130 (W) mm x 105 (H) mm x 34 mm
Weight: 11 oz.

Filter/Buffer - Guitar Synthesizer Processor with Subsonic Filters, Auxiliary Inputs and Master Effects Loop

Features and Specifications:

1 - 13-Pin Roland Guitar Input
1 - 13-Pin Roland Guitar Synthesizer Output
6 - Butterworth 4-pole high pass filters, operating at 50 Hz, 75 Hz, and 100 Hz.
2 - Auxiliary Inputs, high-impedance matched for direct guitar or bass output. Also compatible with any audio source.
1 - Master effects loop input, TRS (tip-ring-sleeve). Effects loop processes both standard 13-pin guitar signal, plus auxiliary input signals.
All-analog processing, no latency added to synthesizer
Custom manufactured, high-quality four layer glass epoxy circuit board
Backed by Two-Year Parts and Labor Warranty
Power Consumption: 31 mA
Size: 130 (W) mm x 105 (H) mm x 34 mm
Weight: 11 oz.
Limited Availability - Click to Email

Introduction to the Filter/Buffer 13-pin Roland Guitar Synthesizer Processor:

Filter-Buffer
The Filter/Buffer does three things: first, the six subsonic filters remove nonmusical and mechanical noise from the output of a 13-pin Roland guitar synth controller to improve synthesizer tracking and COSM modeling.

Second, the Filter/Buffer provides two buffered auxiliary inputs to enable non-GK equipped guitars or any audio source to access COSM amp modeling and effects in a Roland guitar synthesizer like the GR-55.

Finally, the Filter/Buffer adds a master effects loop for both the two auxiliary inputs, and the normal guitar output from the Roland 13-pin guitar synth controller.

History and Development:

The basic idea of the Filter/Buffer is not new, for years Roland included subsonic filtering as a part of the circuit design of the Roland VG-8 and VG-88.

Roland VG-88
Previous Roland synths like the VG-88 included subsonic filtering.
But when the VG-99 shipped in 2007, players with piezo systems like the Godin guitars with the RMC pickups, or the Graphtech Ghost system, immediately noticed that patches that worked so well with the VG-88 were muddy and indistinct on the VG-99. Even after a Roland software update, the problem remained.

Richard McClish, founder of RMC Pickup company, developed a replacement electronics board specifically for the VG-99, the V9SF. The V9SF contained six, Butterworth subsonic filters that restored the subsonic filtering to the VG-99 and solved the problems piezo guitar players were having. Similarly, when the GR-55 shipped in 2011, Richard McClish developed an electronics board for the GR-55, the RMC OPT-01 tracking optimizer.

Now, the Filter/Buffer is the first product of its kind offered as an inline device. Meaning that it can be used with the GR-55 or VG-99. Placing the Filter/Buffer before a Roland US-20, or UX-20 clone, means that both attached synthesizers get the benefit of the filtered guitar signal.

Butterworth Filter
The Butterworth Filter design was selected for the flat response in the passband range.
The Filter/Buffer follows Richard McClish's published specifications, using 6, 4-pole, -24 DB per octave Butterworth subsonic filters, operating at 50, 75 and 100 hz.

The Butterworth design was chosen for its flat frequency response in the passband range. The filter points were selected to keep musical information, but eliminate mechanical noise that can effect both synthesizer tracking, and COSM modeling.

The Filter/Buffer even benefits Roland GK-3 equipped guitars that may be using a tremolo system, or players that experience problems with palm muting, as this can also add unwanted mechanical noise to the divided hex pickup output.

Auxiliary Inputs and Master Effects Loop - Use Non-GK Guitars to Access COSM Modeling Amp and Effects:

In addition to the benefits of subsonic filtering, the Filter/Buffer has two auxiliary inputs, designed to accommodate the impedance of conventional guitar pickups, but any audio source can be used.

Filter-Buffer Diagram
Filter/Buffer diagram. Click on image to enlarge.
Auxiliary input signals one and two are mixed together, using an active mixing system, and combined with the conventional guitar output from the 13-pin guitar.

Before these blended signals are sent to the attached Roland synthesizer, they also pass through a master effects loop.

The master effects loop enables a chain of effects pedal to be used with both the 13-pin Roland guitar synth controller, and with the auxiliary inputs.

In the video clips shown below, both a bass and keyboard are used with the FIlter/Buffer, and a Roland EV-5 is used in the effects loop as a master volume control.

Links to more information:

Filter/Buffer Manual.
http://www.joness.com/gr300/pdf/Filter_Buffer_Manual.pdf

Contact Richard McClish for more information on the V9SF and OPT-01.
info@rmcmusic.com

Wikipedia article on the Butterworth Filter design.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterworth_filter

Filter/Buffer posts at the Vguitar forums.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9988.0

Bill Ruppert

I just received a filter buffer box I bought from builder Wayne Jones.
This filter buffer allows you to use regular guitars and instruments with the GR-55 with out the need of modifying the GR-55 or the need of a buffer pedal.
I am very impressed with its build quality as well as the sound of the buffer. It s super clean and VERY low noise.
The box also acts as a subsonic filter to help remove acoustical noise which can hamper tracking when using a GK pick up.
The box also allows for placing outboard effects in front of the GR-55. That is huge for me as I use many effects in front of amp sims.
That's my thoughts. A+
Bill

whippinpost91850

Bill, thanks for your review, I just saw this and was thinkin of getting it. Now I know I will give it a try

MeanMrMustard

Hey Bill,

Nice review. I think I might get one too. One question, do you have the RMC option-1 filter installed in your gr55?
I have one in my gr55 and was wondering if using the opt-1 and Wayne's filter together would reduce even more noise? Would this be noise reduction overkill?
I am using a godin multiac steel sa and even with the opt-1, I still can get some noise. Thoughts?

Thanks
MeanMrMustard
MeanMrMustard

www.myspace.com/addisonbrady

Bill Ruppert

Mr Mustard
Not sure...
Wayne will have to jump in on this.
Bill

drjoness2001

Quote from:  MeanMrMustard on November 28, 2013, 02:08:45 PM
Hey Bill,

Nice review. I think I might get one too. One question, do you have the RMC option-1 filter installed in your gr55?
I have one in my gr55 and was wondering if using the opt-1 and Wayne's filter together would reduce even more noise? Would this be noise reduction overkill?
I am using a godin multiac steel sa and even with the opt-1, I still can get some noise. Thoughts?

Thanks
MeanMrMustard

The filtering in both the OPT-01 and the Filter/Buffer is pretty steep, -24 dB per octave.

I am surprised that you are still getting noise. Is there a particular patch that you have problems with?

Wayne

big_jan

Placed my order today. Looking forward to the benfits of this device on my Godin ACS guitars.
Will report findings when I receive it.

GovernorSilver

Whoa, I didn't even know there's a For Sale->New Gear forum.

I might order one of these for my electric violin, which has an RMC Polydrive preamp with, you guessed it, a GK output.  I've only used it to drive a Les Paul model in the VG-99 but plan to do more extensive experimentation using the violin to play guitar models. 

BurninBen

Hello

I would like to purchase a GR 55 to use with my Taylor T5 but I do not want to mount a GK3 to my guitar.  It is my understanding that the filter/buffer box will allow me to plug a TRS guitar cable directly from my guitar to have use of COSM modeling and effects within the GR55.

Does anyone know if I will also have access to the synth engines within the GR55 through this set up?  Also are there any other downfalls to setting up this way?

Thanks

Ben Bryan

Elantric

QuoteIt is my understanding that the filter/buffer box will allow me to plug a TRS guitar cable directly from my guitar to have use of COSM modeling and effects within the GR55.

Post the URL link where that wrong info is being posted.

The Dr Wayne Joness 13pin External Filter/Buffer Buffer box (seen above) has 2 Aux inputs

- and these allow you to use standard Electric guitars with GR-55 for COSM Amp Modeling and FX only - but you will need a true 13 pin PU system (Gk-3, RMC PolyDrive, Graphtech Ghosts, etc) to access the GR-55's COSM Guitar Models and Alt Tunings. 

Learn more about hexaphonic PUs and how the GK-3 pickup works

http://www.roland.com/V-Guitar/about.html

The GK Pickup
The GK Pickup is capable of picking up individual signals for each string. For example, normal pickups would capture and output signals from all six strings of the guitar.
In contrast to this, a divided pickup is capable of picking up signals from each individual string and outputting these signals individually. This allows it to detect accurate performance information for each individual string.

Additionally, since the output signal is analog - the same as traditional pickups - it faithfully conveys all guitar-playing techniques.

You can easily attach a GK-3 or GK-3B divided pickup to your favorite guitar or bass, and enjoy a new dimension of performance with a guitar synth or the V-Guitar system.

And because the sounds picked up on your instrument's pickups are output on a different circuit, you can play the synth tones alongside your original guitar or bass tones.

Our bass pickup, the GK-3B, is designed to float above the bridge if there isn't enough room to install the controller on the front of the body.

Myrreg1

I would like to be added to the waiting list for the filter/buffer, if there's one.  I'd to purchase one as soon as it becomes available.  Thanks.

Bryan Michael

Hello,

Doe this thing exist?  I've emailed the manufacturer through their website with no response.  How does one go about ordering this filter buffer?

Cheers!
B

Elantric

hippietim

I contacted him recently and got back a response that he does not have the time to build these right now.  It sure would be nice to have something like this though.

hippietim

Quote from:  CodeSmart
Not to intrude on Waynes thread but if he's too busy right now you may consider the GKFX-11 external filter without FX loop.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11884.0
http://www.primovasound.com

Perfect.  Email sent.

jassy

Not to intrude on Waynes thread but if he's too busy right now you may consider the GKFX-11 external filter without FX loop.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11884.0
http://www.primovasound.com

have you considered to make some units with fx loop? Maybe Can it be added?

Bryan Michael

jassy

No, not really. Not worth the work just adding that.
I have something more advanced in the pipeline.
Thanks for the answer, i was under the impression that add that loop was a very simple opertation.

jassy

Did not say it was difficult, It's trivial. Just more into spending the available hours on a more spectacular innovation.

Excuse me for misreading you, Im very much into the GR55 lately and the lack of a guitar input limits me a lot, so the need has probably blinded me.

However that "more spectacular innovation" sounds intriguing I stay expectant.

Tonato

Hi! I have a GR55 and I am considering in buying this product.

I have seen the videos at Wayne Joness webpage and just to be completely sure I 'd like to ask this question: Can I connect a normal guitar to the filter (and the filter connected to the GR55) to access all the FXs and COSM of the GR55? wah wah, reverb, chorus, compression etc etc can be used this way? Which means I don't have the PCM or pan per string, etc, but I do have access to all te GR55 fx with a non GK guitar and this filter. Is that correct? I am doing some gigs and want to use the GR55 just as an Fx processor.

Many thanks!!!

Guitarash123

I have been struggling with the GR55 for a while now, could never really get it to track properly - especially on some of the bell sounds and pianos.

Picked up one of these from eBay and it has sorted it out completely.  Gone back to the factory default on the general settings and tweaked a little bit.  Really happy with this.

What I don't understand is why Roland didn't just include this inside the GR55 in the first place.  There must have been countless people who has sold or given up on the GR55 because of tracking issues.  Its such a simple little filter and must be inexpensive to make.

Looking forward to spending some quality time exploring the sounds of the GR55 without the disappointment of having to avoid lots of the patches. 

Well done Dr Joness.

Elantric

QuoteWhat I don't understand is why Roland didn't just include this inside the GR55 in the first place.
Simple Answer -
Because Roland designs their Gk 13 pin gear to operate best with their own Roland GK-3 magnetic PU - supporting third party Piezo pickups is an afterthought, and not crucial to sales. Roland will tell you  -

"if your Piezo hex PU exhibits mis-trigger problems, Install a Roland GK-3 13 pin pickup " 

Guitarash123

I have the GK3 pickup.  It didn't track very well with this pick-up - tried setting up a few times following the guidelines on here and YouTube etc.

The Dr Joness box just sorted out all issues.  I had previously picket up all of my strings to avoid fret buzz and other unwanted noise but honestly it made playing my guitar much more difficult.  When i got the box, realised that it fixed these issues and dropped the action back down.  Now plays just like i want it and tracks really well.

I know that i should probably sort out the fret buzz by getting a new nut, but really - it is minor and doesn't bother me at all.  Now it doesn't bother the GR55.

Urchin

Hi, just a quick heads-up to everyone interested in this topic.  Dr Wayne Joness has posted the circuit diagram as a PDF for this filter, so now we can all go build one ourselves :-)
http://www.joness.com/gr300/Filter-Buffer.htm

http://www.joness.com/gr300/pdf/Filter-Buffer-Schematic.pdf

The schematic for the final revision of the acclaimed Filter/Buffer is available here! Click here to download.

The circuit used 4 quad op-amps, three of the op-amps were used for the filtering circuit, and the last op-amp was used for the buffer. To simplify the design and for quality control 1 uF capacitors are used for all filters, with the values of the resistors changing to set the filter cutoff points.

You will notice that the circuit also includes a +5 volt voltage regulator. This added a +5 volt output to the circuit, which could be used to control the volume of the attached Roland guitar synth. A few acoustic players wanted to be able to control the volume of their synth with a foot pedal, rather than using the GK S-Volume control.

All the parts for building the Filter-Buffer should be readily available, though you may have to purchase from a large distributor such as Mouser Electronics to get the exact value of the resistors required.

Introduction to the Filter/Buffer 13-pin Roland Guitar Synthesizer Processor:
Filter-Buffer
The Filter/Buffer does three things: first, the six subsonic filters remove nonmusical and mechanical noise from the output of a 13-pin Roland guitar synth controller to improve synthesizer tracking and COSM modeling.

Second, the Filter/Buffer provides two buffered auxiliary inputs to enable non-GK equipped guitars or any audio source to access COSM amp modeling and effects in a Roland guitar synthesizer like the GR-55.

Finally, the Filter/Buffer adds a master effects loop for both the two auxiliary inputs, and the normal guitar output from the Roland 13-pin guitar synth controller.

"Finally had a break in the weather and hooked up the filter buffer and gr55. Fantastic! No ghost notes at all, except when I get sloppy. The better I played, the better it sounded. Didn't have to touch the sensitivity adjustment at all. Perfect out of the box. Definitely worth the money. Thanks so much for providing a permanent fix for this problem. - Gus"

History and Development:

The basic idea of the Filter/Buffer is not new, for years Roland included subsonic filtering as a part of the circuit design of the Roland VG-8 and VG-88.

Roland VG-88
Previous Roland synths like the VG-88 included subsonic filtering.

But when the VG-99 shipped in 2007, players with piezo systems like the Godin guitars with the RMC pickups, or the Graphtech Ghost system, immediately noticed that patches that worked so well with the VG-88 were muddy and indistinct on the VG-99. Even after a Roland software update, the problem remained.

Richard McClish, founder of RMC Pickup company, developed a replacement electronics board specifically for the VG-99, the V9SF. The V9SF contained six, Butterworth subsonic filters that restored the subsonic filtering to the VG-99 and solved the problems piezo guitar players were having. Similarly, when the GR-55 shipped in 2011, Richard McClish developed an electronics board for the GR-55, the RMC OPT-01 tracking optimizer.

Now, the Filter/Buffer is the first product of its kind offered as an inline device. Meaning that it can be used with the GR-55 or VG-99. Placing the Filter/Buffer before a Roland US-20, or UX-20 clone, means that both attached synthesizers get the benefit of the filtered guitar signal.

Butterworth Filter
The Butterworth Filter design was selected for the flat response in the passband range.
The Filter/Buffer follows Richard McClish's published specifications, using 6, 4-pole, -24 DB per octave Butterworth subsonic filters, operating at 50, 75 and 100 hz.

The Butterworth design was chosen for its flat frequency response in the passband range. The filter points were selected to keep musical information, but eliminate mechanical noise that can effect both synthesizer tracking, and COSM modeling.

The Filter/Buffer even benefits Roland GK-3 equipped guitars that may be using a tremolo system, or players that experience problems with palm muting, as this can also add unwanted mechanical noise to the divided hex pickup output.

Auxiliary Inputs and Master Effects Loop - Use Non-GK Guitars to Access COSM Modeling Amp and Effects:

In addition to the benefits of subsonic filtering, the Filter/Buffer has two auxiliary inputs, designed to accommodate the impedance of conventional guitar pickups, but any audio source can be used.

Filter-Buffer Diagram
Filter/Buffer diagram. Click on image to enlarge.
Auxiliary input signals one and two are mixed together, using an active mixing system, and combined with the conventional guitar output from the 13-pin guitar.

Before these blended signals are sent to the attached Roland synthesizer, they also pass through a master effects loop.

The master effects loop enables a chain of effects pedal to be used with both the 13-pin Roland guitar synth controller, and with the auxiliary inputs.

In the video clips shown below, both a bass and keyboard are used with the FIlter/Buffer, and a Roland EV-5 is used in the effects loop as a master volume control.
Aria Pro II Urchin U70 - Kahler whammy - DiMarzio PUPs - GTK-KIT - GR-55 - iPad A1475 & A1823 - Tascam iXR.