Carlo Cantini MIDI-Violin?

Started by garzotto, March 12, 2012, 12:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garzotto

Is anybody here using the GR-55 with a MIDI violin such as the X-Evon by Carlo Cantini? I own this combo  and hope somebody else here too - so that we can share experiences.

Andreas

gumtown

The GR-55 only works with "Roland GK" 13 pin compatible devices such as the GK-3 hexaphonic pickup, the GR-55 does not accept midi note data (unfortunately by design).
Your violin will need a hexaphonic (or quadraphonic in the case of a violin) piezo pickup connected to a suitable 13 pin adapter.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

http://www.cantinielectricviolins.com/2/upload/x_evon_owner_s_manual.pdf

Reviewing the Owners Manual, it appears the X-Evon violin by Carlo Cantini already has a 13 pin connection - using RMC Piezo pickups

gumtown

Wow !! I got to hear this !!!
If you could be so kind to post a recorded example of how this sounds with the GR-55, I'm sure most of us here would be interested in your experiances.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

imall41

Quote from: gumtown on March 12, 2012, 04:42:01 PM
Wow !! I got to hear this !!!
If you could be so kind to post a recorded example of how this sounds with the GR-55, I'm sure most of us here would be interested in your experiances.

Elantric

Lets invite Carlo Cantini to join our forum?

Perhaps one of our Italian members may assist?

ecca

Would a special GK pick-up have been designed and fitted  for this ?
Or a modified guitar model ?

ecca

banditt11

Quote from: imall41 on March 12, 2012, 08:20:25 PM

wow. That was nice. Nice sound and technique.
Frank Betts
2012 American Strat
Gibson double cut faded guitar
Peavey Classic 30 tube amp
Peavey Bandit Special
ME-70 foot pedal
GR-55 Roland synth
www.frontcentermusician.blogspot.com

stephaneweg

I own this violin since 1 week, that's amazing, i can play oboe, or piano with my violin :p

now i'm trying to reproduce the sound of the zeta jazz-fusion (carlo cantini'll try to produce a patch for it and send it to me)

mapperboy

BTW, I got the patches for his bowed instruments from Carlo and posted them with his permission to the GR-55 Patch Exchange area here:

GR-55 Cantini 'Violin' patches for your experiments
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10465.0
-mike
"No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time. Go!"
- Henry Rollins

mapperboy

I'm planning my next GR-55 instrument enablement experiment with my new (old Czech Strunal) Cello.

For everyone's info:
I got these prices from Richard at RMC who will make a hex (should I say Quad) piezo 13 pin setup for Cellos using these parts:

ALL PRICES IN US DOLLARS

1   PA-400CX  Pizz-Arco 4-string 18" leads   $560.

1   P-D II C  Poly-Drive II remote polyphonic preamp  $370.

I don't work for RMC; this resulted from my casting about on the web for ways and means of getting Cello vibes into the GR-55 and VG-99.

Carlo Cantini also makes 13 pin 'electric' Cellos but they are designed ground up to be semi-solid bodied instruments:

Attached is a video Carlo sent me of a 13 pin cello with the caveat "I'm not a Cello player!"

-mike

"No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time. Go!"
- Henry Rollins

Mikko127

Hi Midi Violin, I have a X-evon II and GR55. I've playing it for 6 months now. I'm still figuring out the sensitivity because I get lots of miss-trigger. How about you?

I usually use the patches downloaded from Roland website. They aren't the best, but some sounds are so wicked. Anyways, if you want, I can share some patches with you.

sri2503

Hi
I have purchased v-jazz 5 string midi violin from Cantini. It will be delivered in next 8 days
What is your exp of midi? Are you able to record?
Please share

Mikko127

I was so impress with the Cantini violin that I decided to buy another V jazz 5 string fretted. There's a new model now called Sonic. It suppose to have new technology and new design of the pickup. Probably gonna get that during Christmas.
Still get miss trigger but I have improved by using the highest string tension available. I even experiment with using high tension guitar strings.  They work good but the accoustic sounds is unbearable. good for PCM, bad for modeling. Also putting foam at the nuts, and between the bridge and the tailpiece would reduce miss triggering. Lowering the bridge so the string would be closer to the magnectic area on the fingerboard. All and all, it still comes down to the sensitivity adjustment in the master control area.
As for recording, I connected to the Mac to record songs. It does work but it miss trigger too much on the fast notes that I think it's better to just use a midi piano keyboard as controller.

violalex

i try to played  my  new  5 strings V Jazz cantini violin with  the GR 55.  but  the  low strings C and  G are  very  bad  in  triggering  so that  the  midi signal  sound will not  be  herared  the  most sounds. does anybody  has  an  idear  what  i can do ? is it a problem  of the  strings maybe ? what strings  are the  best  for  midi  triggering ? and,  is  there  anybody  in  germany playing  a cantini midi violin ? thanks for  any  reply,  alexander

Elantric

kirikl

Quote from: stephaneweg on May 07, 2014, 01:27:11 AM
I own this violin since 1 week, that's amazing, i can play oboe, or piano with my violin :p

now i'm trying to reproduce the sound of the zeta jazz-fusion (carlo cantini'll try to produce a patch for it and send it to me)

Hey. I connected violin as multi out. But signal is too low... Sounds are messy. I need to overdrive my amp to hear it. and then I have a problem with E string and everything higher then B on A string (I've adjusted E string to maximum sensitivity, no reaction) and sounds appear out of nowhere when the violin is untouched. What is wrong with my violin/synthesizer?
As violin out works great.
Haven't asked Cantini yet, but really disappointed already, cause the main feature of this instrument is MIDI . Hope it is my misunderstanding and lack of good setup.

Hurricane

¿ This violin should also trigger a GR33 ?