Hello from UK and introducing my guitar too

Started by VGio, February 09, 2018, 04:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VGio

Hello all,

I am George from UK, relevant gear, I designed a Telecaster style semi solid acoustic guitar (acoustic system is LR Braggs element) with GK pickup built into acoustic bridge.

Inspiration for my custom built guitar was a mixture of telecaster's elegant simplicity, seeing George Harrison's unique rosewood telecaster and buying a mystery solid bodied acoustic telecaster (it looked cool and the acoustic tone was amazing, with the added advantage of zero feedback 😎) my initial idea was to have some electric guitar pickups added.

While trying to decide on what kind of pickups, love good humbuckers, but also telecaster single coils, lipsticks are great on my danelectro hoddady, well you get the idea I wanted them all........

Then by chance discovered the GR 55, so I bought one with a gk3 kit (abomination, omg ugly plastic and s1 and s2 switches that would often stay always on and scrolling) to attach to the mystery solid body Tele acoustic, suddenly I had all pickups available on one guitar plus saxophone, cathedral organ etc.

So off I went to a luthier, with a list of what I wanted creating
1. Rosewood body / neck telecaster silhouette ( citis regulations put paid to that, so opted for Pau faro  Brazilian rosewood
2. 25" scale length with zero fret
3. Acoustic bridge with quality acoustic pickup
4. No pick guard and no telecaster switchplate or bridge
5. Body that separated front and back so all the wiring etc is internal no covers
6. Roland pickup hidden in bridge (mk1 on guitar for now, bridge that we are going to make will lose the Roland logo and hump off the cover
7. No silly ass headstock scallop, 4 degree break angle, this required special gotoh tuners, height adjustable, auto locking, with aged chrome finish, which I am still waiting for special order from Japan, Making do with some non locking gotoh's in bright chrome for now 😢
8. Luthier fancied putting f hole on it, i wasn't so sure, I explained my aesthetic objections, but the sneaky bugger designed a unique f hole and put it on the reclaimed wood prototype, I was very impressed with  it's shape and style.
9. Finish oil, with lightly buffed renaissance wax, to give it that old polished finish still find that hard to describe, I wanted it to look like it was hundred years old but well looked after (the bridge is bog oak at least 3,000 years old.....)
10. Woke up at 3am a couple of days ago, jumped on iPad  to order a GP10, arrived today

Majiken

Hey George,

welcome from southwest Germany and thanks for the very interesting post on your guitar! I find it quite attractive, and really like the visual incorporation of the GK-3 into the bridge. Wondering how you decided on the number of bolting points for the body back and their location?

You're off to a great start, looking forward to reading more from you  :). Cheers, Kenny
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Smash

Welcome! Also UK - who's the Luther? Beautiful looking thing and like others love the hidden gk

Elantric

remind me of the Relish guitars from Switzerland
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18210.msg165018#msg165018
those have a removable back, held on by magnets

Headless68

Welcome!
I like it with the F hole - looks great

VGio

Hi all, thanks for comments etc.

Kenny,

Symmetrical either side of Center avoiding internal wiring etc leaving space for magnetic pickups if and when I decide to add them, the rest were where he could fit them in.

A new bridge is in the pipeline which will even get rid of the pointless hump with Roland written on it.

I may even replace the gk connector socket with something more robust (probably with extra pins, for an electric  whammy bar project.....)

I am also building an hexaphonic/polyphonic sustainer which works on each individual string...... though natural sustain is bordering on to good on this guitar as it is

VGio

Quote from: Smash on February 10, 2018, 07:22:45 AM
Welcome! Also UK - who's the Luther? Beautiful looking thing and like others love the hidden gk

Hi kenny

Samuel Luke Gill works for a very famous luthier called Patrick Eggle