I've Never Introduced Myself, So Here Goes!

Started by Chumly, December 26, 2017, 10:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chumly

I am pleased to have (for the most part) avoided the inevitable pitfalls of mortality.

I am not unhappy with my Fishman Triple Play, Roland VG-99, Kemper Profiling Amp, iPad Air 2 128 (loaded with some very interesting apps such as Korg Gadget, Sugar Bytes, VirSyn, Moog, ApeSoft, Yonac, Auria Pro, etc), Boss RC505, Korg Kronos, saxophone, clarinet, guitars, Boss GT-100, etc.  Well, you get the idea, my gear list is embarrassingly long compared to the remnants my faltering musicianship.  IOW, Barry Schwartz's book "The Paradox of Choice - Why More Is Less" has hit a home run in my music room, and thus I often find myself ignoring the toys and simply playing one guitar and singing.

On another note (way too obvious pun), over the last few decades a sizable portion of what remains of my rather limited cognition has been focused on the works of white men such as Noam Chomsky, Lawrence Krauss, Isaac Newton, Richard Dawkins, Frank Wilczek, Georg Ohm, Michael Faraday, James Clerk Maxwell, Claudius Ptolemy, Richard Feynman, Pythagoras, René Descartes, etc. in an attempt to learn a bit about stuff (literally and figuratively).

As to more white men with a bent towards finances I appreciate Paul Krugman, Burton Malkiel, Jack Bogle etc. 

I still consider one of my finest skill-sets to be my well-honed ability to procrastinate, combined with a wavering focus to DIY, leading me to everything from plumbing to parsing particle physics (alliteration is phunky).

My teaching skills, math skills, circuit analysis skills, etc. have certainly improved after a decade of fulltime teaching, however I now more than ever recognize (but still try and push beyond) the limits of my understanding.

Apocryphal though it may be, the quote "I know that I know nothing" as per Plato's account of Socrates very much resonates with me.  This perspective is of course in direct conflict with the multitudes of religionist / moral absolutist / creationist / materialistic / anti-science / crony capitalist / lemmings. These small rodents will likely bring mankind to an end, through nuclear apocalypse and/or global environmental collapse.

Much obliged,

Daniel
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman