GR-55 - Beatles orchestral patches

Started by joe_44850, September 10, 2012, 04:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_44850

The Beatle's patches, by Joe Linstrum (except the piano, which was an edited version of "Ultimate Piano" by Jim Williams, which, in my humble opinion, is the best I've heard). Most of these patches require finger-picking (actually, they all do), as some sounds are only applied to certain strings.

The mp3's were all performed live, because I will be using these patches in a live setting, and I really wanted to see (and demonstrate) if it could be done. It will take a lot of practice and experimentation to pull this off, but I believe it can be done. They were all done in one take, and not done perfectly, but done well in enough that in context with a band, you could really pull off some great Beatle sounds that will have people thinking "how did they do that??".

Patches included cover songs like:
All You Need Is Love
Hey Jude (plus horn section for the end)
Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds (intro and chorus)
Mother Nature's Sun
Sgt. Pepper
Strawberry Fields Forever (intro and horn/cello sections)
When I'm 64 (clarinet)

Not really for a novice guitarist, but these work well if you are proficient with finger-picking

joe_44850

Preview:
Strawberry Fields Forever

joe_44850

Preview:
All You Need Is Love
Lucy In The Sky

joe_44850

joe_44850

mbenigni

joe_44850

Hey thanks, I'm not sure if anyone can use these or not, but I figured I'd post them anyway!

the-destructor

Haven't tried them yet, but listened to the audio (always a nice add). NICE WORK!!!

tekrytor

Nice work Joe! Sounds great!
So did you record All You Need Is Love in one pass, playing the horns and strings or is it multi track? Either way, it s quite nice.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

joe_44850

I played it one pass; it's a bit tricky. The thumb plays the low notes and I used my third and fourth fingers to sort of claw the top notes - same thing with the intro.

My complaint about the GR55 is the same as everyone else - the patch switching. I would probably set my patches up a lot differently if there wasn't such a delay. I wish there was at least the option of having the patch sort of reverberate when you switch so that they could cross-blend, but instead there is just an immediate cutoff. I have a lot of ideas for I Am The Walrus, but the patch switching sort of puts the kibosh on all of that.

PRSman

Awesome Joe!  I'll have to check them out.  Love that avatar too! ;D

tekrytor

Quote from: joe_44850 on September 11, 2012, 04:36:12 AM
I played it one pass; it's a bit tricky. The thumb plays the low notes and I used my third and fourth fingers to sort of claw the top notes - same thing with the intro.

My complaint about the GR55 is the same as everyone else - the patch switching. I would probably set my patches up a lot differently if there wasn't such a delay. I wish there was at least the option of having the patch sort of reverberate when you switch so that they could cross-blend, but instead there is just an immediate cutoff. I have a lot of ideas for I Am The Walrus, but the patch switching sort of puts the kibosh on all of that.

Amazing! Thanks for sharing your work, patches and audio with the group! Very inspiring!
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Shatner

Joe, thank you so much. These are very useful and informative to me. Much better than the stock ones I was using. Cheers to you!

joe_44850

Rolly, no problem. I have actually tweaked them a bit, so they sound a bit better now, though I haven't uploaded the latest ones (I will when I get a chance )

Strngbndr

Thanks Joe, great sounds. Imagine what the Beatles could have done if they had these tools

joe_44850

I got to use the patches in a live setting for the first time last Saturday. We played (in addition to the older material):
All You Need is Love
Strawberry Fields Forever
Lucy In The Sky with Diamonds
Get Back (I assumed electric piano duty on the Strat/GR-55)
A Day In The Life

All made possible by the GR-55 and hours of tweaking patches - and a very controlled attack. It was the first time I really got to see how the patches would do in a live situation, and it was very successful (no squelches or weird sounds - phew!)

shopstartuk

Hi Joe

Do you have a good patch just for the electric guitar parts? I am struggling to find or create a good Beatles patch.

Thanks
Fender Strat Plus Delux
Fender Tele 60th
Roland GR 55

joe_44850

No, sorry, I don't. I'm actually not a huge fan of the Roland Guitar patches (uh oh, should I start ducking from thrown frying pans now?). I love what it does as a synth, but for the guitar stuff I switch over to my Gretsch / HD500.

Also, I have made a lot of improvements to these patches since I originally posted this, so I really need to update.

Martchi

guitarno

;D ;D ;D Yes, Great work Joe! Great patches & nicely played! They really cover the parts in these songs very well. I'm sure in the context of a band they would sound great. The Piano sound (and playing) on Hey Jude was really good. No apparent glitches or phantom notes. Very cleanly played. Was this patch difficult to play as cleanly as it sounds on the mp3?
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

The ToneKing

Wow Joe!...
I know these have been on here awhile, but I just saw and heard these...like everyone has said...great work. I'm attempting the same thing!

Thanks for sharing.
TK
Guitars:PRS, Gibson, Fender, Hamer, Godin/Amps:  Two-Rock, Sewell, Mesa, Dumble-clone, Fender, Roland KC-350, Gr-55.

GtrGeorge

Some very impressive work!!!  Well done!
  GtrGeorge

joe_44850

Thanks for the kind words, guys. "Hey Jude" wasn't that difficult, I just finger-picked it and tried to play cleanly. My Godin actually tracked my better than the Strat i'm using now, but I need to play the Strat when I do the Beatles tribute stuff I have no choice.

grandmasterB

I'm brand spanking new to the GR55 and this forum, and I'm a Beatles freak.  Thanks for the head start, and great job.

joe_44850

No problem! I have really improved these patches since my initial post but never think to upload the new ones when I am at home.