Show us your VGuitar gear ...

Started by GrinPicker, March 09, 2009, 12:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

IMALL41,

What is the manufacturer and product name of your "Wet / Dry Buffer" in the US-20 FX loop?

imall41

"IMALL41,

What is the manufacturer and product name of your "Wet / Dry Buffer" in the US-20 FX loop?"

Xotic X-Blender
http://www.xotic.us/effects/x_blender/index.html(turn down your volume before you click on this(-:)

OR

Badger Schism (two loops in parellel)
http://www.badgereffects.com/para.html

I have them both with a new version of the Schism on order, both of these pedals add expanded flexability to any setup.

TygermanGB

I got my new GR55 this week and have done some major work on my rig. The GR55 is now my mini rig. It will stand alone and can run off a battery. This is why I got it and it should do fine. I've been making some of initial patch tests and am getting ready to build out some patch banks on it.
I decided that I needed to re-bundle my main rig to make it more mobile. I ditched my coffin case. It and its keyboard stand base are just too heavy. I've gone back to music stands for the VG99 and notebook. I slimmed down some of my programming so its simpler to operate and a little more flexible.
I've included two screen shots of Bidule. I use it like some use a DAW but its more like a virtual wiring cabinet. One shot shows the working screen I use to perform, the other is a detail of the wiring inside Bidule.

The last shot is a picture of Adrian Belew's rig. I'm not sure on the date but I've seen very similar layouts from him in other pictures over the years. Not my rig but seems topical.
-Ty
Parker Guitars - VG-99, VG-8ex, GR-55, GP-10, US-20 and Bidule/Mobious/Jamstix NI for soft synths

Elantric

QuoteIt will stand alone and can run off a battery.

Please provide more details?

TygermanGB

I've got a couple of battery backups mean to run a computer for a few minutes. One will run the gr and a small amp for a couple of hours.
-Ty
Parker Guitars - VG-99, VG-8ex, GR-55, GP-10, US-20 and Bidule/Mobious/Jamstix NI for soft synths

ZenSonic

TygermanGB, how well does the GK3 fit the string spacing of your Steinberger Spirit? I like the Spirit very much and may wish to get a one. thanks, Stephen

TygermanGB

The GK pickup part fits fine. Its a snug fit up against the bridge but I had to remove the tone knob to clear space to get the switch part mounted.
-Ty

LPHovercraft

This is my core rig:

Mobius Megatar "Hammer of Thor"
VB-99 for "bass side" of Mobius Megatar (routed to M-1000)
VG-99 for "guitar side" of Mobius Megatar (routed to M-1000)
MC-300 connected to VG-99
Open Labs DBeat, Presonus Firebox built-in (routed to M-1000)
Arturia Origin desktop synthesizer (routed to M-1000)
Mac Pro i7 920 12GB RAM, Presonus Firebox + Roland M-1000 Digital Mixer (USB)

As for software FX/synths, I'll just hit the highlights. For guitar/bass processing I relied (up to now) on Guitar Rig 4 and iZotope's Trash, along with the plugins built into Cubase (which are pretty stellar, BTW). For softsynths I'm primarily an Arturia and Native Instruments guy, but use the built-in VSTi's from Steinberg as well as a few of the instruments built into Ableton Live (again, which are surprisingly good). That said, I don't have a particular fondness for driving MIDI with the Megatar - I'm more interested in the modeling built into the VG/VB units. The Mobius Megatar is a "Hammer of Thor" model that has both Bartolini pickups and Ghost piezos built in. I'm going to replace the Ghost piezos with RMCs sometime this month, when I can get the time to do the mechanical work of removing the old saddles and sending them in to RMC for replacements with their units (that are reportedly better for eliminating cross-talk, which is a non-trivial problem on this instrument). The real nerve center of this rig is the M-1000, which I picked up on eBay and has been a real life-saver. I plan to use it along with the DBeat and VG/VB/MC units as part of a live rig when I get a road-worthy electronic music set ready to go. This is going to be a special kind of fun.
8)

(oh yeah - and the MacBook Pro at the bottom of the picture doesn't count - it's for work)
Houston Haynes - LPHovercraft

Elantric

The M-1000 is a unique unit, with the independent Input sample rate converters for the SPDIF inputs.
The TC Digital Konnect offered similar features, and does have 64 bit Snow Leopard drivers - but they discontinued it last year.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/DigitalKonnektx32.asp

I suppose the potential hurdle is obtaining the lowest possible latency with that rig due to these issues.
The Roland M-1000's  2007 era OSX USB drivers, when coupled to a very fast  Mac Pro running the very latest Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.6 - may not be an optimal situation under full load conditions.

To the best of my knowledge, Roland has not provided Snow Leopard Drivers for the M1000, and I doubt they ever will.

But if its working for you today - I'm happy ;)

The next choice would be an interface from RME

LPHovercraft

I found a driver on Roland's site that's compatible. Running an aggregate "Studio Bus" virtual device made of the Firebox + M-1000 I'm getting 5.8ms in and 5.8 out. Bear in mind that I'm not using the Mac Pro as a near-real-time guitar processor, but rather I re-amp some of the parts. If it gets too heavy (I've not really pushed things yet) then I'll pull the USB driver out, mount the Firebox directly and simply record/monitor the M-1000 through the analog inputs (3+4) on the Firebox. Again, I'm not going to be melting anyone's face off with my playing - yet - so I'm not going to pull my hair out trying to get sub-3ms latency. Life is too short.

:)

That TC Digital Konnect device looks HOT by the way. That would definitely be on my short list if I hadn't found the M-1000 listed the same day I started looking (and the price was right).
Houston Haynes - LPHovercraft

Starless

Quote from:  booth421 on February 12, 2011, 09:35:06 AM
El Groupo: Here is my Fred Flinstone V-Rig:
Steinberger(s) w/gk-3
Sustainiac Pickup
VG-99
FC-300
Giga Delay
Boosta Grande
Ancient GR-1
Boss RC-20 Looper
Roland US-20
All this goes through a small Peavey PA.. Guys who run rather elaborate old school rigs
are blown away at how good this thing sounds when we play out.. You know the whole, "A Peavey PA? Really?" Then they hear it.. I set the Peaver up  on stage where  a real amp would sit.. I go through the mains with the synth, but not the VG-99.. I have found it sounds better for me with ten inch speakers rather than the twelve.. Later.. D. Boof
I reckon that's more of a Shred Flintstone rig !  ;D
It reminds me of how much I miss my old Steinberger...sob, sob.
Reverend Jetstream 390, VG-99 & FC-300, Roland-ready Strat, Fender Precision Bass, ADA MP-1, Marshall JMP-1and Fryette Valvulator Preamps, Orange AD30 Head,TC G-Force, Strymon/Eventide/Keeley FX, , TC Ditto X4 looper . Other sundry items.....

hazeshawn

I was hunting for Pedal Boards on the net, hoping to get a photo of a VG-99 setup with a mounted FC-300 and it's FS pedals. No luck whatsoever! Vernon Reid's Pedal Board was really no help, as he doesn't use the VG-99 to its full potential like I do. So... I decided to construct one to my own liking. Here it is...

All pedals are mounted with industrial strength Velcro - soft(loop) Velcro mounted to the pedals and hard(hook) Velcro to the wood. 5/8 plywood construction, black enamel paint, aluminum channel around the edges. I use a Talkbox, so that's what the gold box is on the Pedal Board.

I'm wiring up the FS-6 Pedals this week for power. I'll use 9v pigtails that will plug in where the battery plugs in inside the pedals and daisy chain them off of a 9v power supply. The FS-6 Pedals are connected with the center TRS jacks, so I had to configure the VG for reversed connections (B is actually A on each pedal). I plan on using a TRS to TRS cable on the right stand alone FS-6 (that's why red is going into the A switch), like I do with the FV-500.

I hope this was help to someone. 8)
Notice how I remain calm. I do this because I am The Shawn!

Guitars:
20011 Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Classic
2009 Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Stratocaster
2003 Gibson Les Paul Classic

"Quality"... not "Quantity"!

aliensporebomb

Yes it was a help.  So are you using the additional pedals to control additional parameters in the VG then thru the FC300? 

Can you give us an example of a typical patch and how each additional pedal and footswitch helps you with controlling it all?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

hazeshawn

A "typical" patch would consist of 1 clean channel (B) and a dirty channel (A) controlled by CTRL1 on the FC-300. Solo boost on CTRL2. CTRL3 is BPM Tap, CTRL4 is Delay SW, CTRL 5 is ALT Tuning TYPE (switched between User and Drop-D - User is standard tuning), CTRL6 is 12 String SW, CTRL7 is MOD2 SW and CTRL8 is MOD1 SW. CTRL3 off of the back of the VG-99 is Chorus SW and CTRL4 is OD SW. EXP from the VG is assigned to MOD2 Speed (which is normally a Rotary Effect).

Guitars:

jon_bondy

Sorry if this seems obvious to you, but exactly what are the additional CTRL switches, and how are they wired into the VG-99?  How does the VG-99 know about them, since they were not known to the VG-99 when it was designed/built.

hazeshawn

CTL3,4 Jack on the back of the VG and EXP Pedal Jack on the back of the VG.

Guitars:

hazeshawn

I also forgot to mention the Talkbox wiring.

I go from "Guitar Out" out of the VG and into a Peavey Transtube Guitar Amp with the speaker unplugged. The external speaker output gets plugged into the talkbox. My patches used where I need the talkbox have the guitar's pickup at "0" in the GK setup page. I can switch to my talkbox by selecting "Guitar" or "Mix" on the GK controller. My Guitar's internal pickups go to the talkbox and my GK-3 Pickup just affects the VG-99.

Guitars:

hazeshawn

Internally in the VG-99 in the Control Assignment pages, under FC-300 are pages to setup the additional pedals plugged into the FC-300. Also in the same section are pedal setups for the VG-99 rear jacks. I find using the Editor through Windows works best. :)

Guitars:

hazeshawn

CTRL 3/4 Goes to the first FS Pedal(left) on the riser of my Pedal Board. CTRL 5/6 to the middle pedal and 7/8 to the 3rd pedal.

Guitars:

Elantric

Shawn,
Thanks for the posting the pics and info about the VG-99 / FC-300 CTRL pedal inputs. It serves as a refresher course for those who have not looked in the VG-99/FC-300 owners manual for a while.

highlandsrock

I got bitten by the VGuitar bug with the purchase of a GR-33 on eBay. I then needed a guitar to drive it so I went back onto eBay to find a guitar that I could install a GK3 pickup kit internally as I wanted something discrete, not the ugly removable version. I chose an Epiphone SG as it was cheap and in a natural wood finish, so no heavy gloss finish to chip when drilling.  The installation was a lot easier than I thought it would be and I have put the photos and description on my blog in case it helps anyone else who wants to take the plunge. (http://highlandsrock.blogspot.com/p/fitting-roland-gk3.html)

I was impressed with the performance of the GR-33. The tracking was pretty good and some of the patches were brilliant but I wanted more sounds, especially orchestral ones so more trips onto eBay to see what synth modules were around. I found an XV3080 and then an XV2020 with an orchestral SRX06 card included. The units all needed housing so I built a small 19" rack and added a couple of Behringer units to distribute the power and mix the outputs. To handle the MIDI I found a MOTU Micro Lite on eBay and it sat nicely next to the XV2020 in the rack. The finishing touch was a stereo amp to drive some speaker cabs I built 25 years ago.

Over the next year or so I kept my eyes open for some more classic synth modules at sensible prices on eBay and added an EMU Proteus 2000, an EMU Proteus 2 Orchestral and a Yamaha TG55. The increased number of modules meant more midi inputs required so the MOTU Micro Lite has been replaced with an Express 128 and there's also a Line 6 FloorPod Plus to take the direct guitar signal into a Marshall combo.

In September last year I decided to buy my first "non-copy" guitar and settled on a Godin Freeway SA. The other guitar is an Ibanez 2402DX that I bought around 1980.

Just before Christmas I took the plunge and bought a GR-55. I was going to part-fund it by selling the GR-33 but you'll see from the picture that it's still there and it's not going anywhere in a hurry! Some of the sounds/effects cannot be reproduced on the GR-55 plus I like the fact that the GR-33 seems to cope with a piezo pickup better so can use it's MIDI out to drive the other modules.

Next steps – I've already managed to get hold of a US-20 so can now switch between GR's. A couple of the synth modules can go – the XV2020 and the Yamaha and as I get better at programming guitar tones with the GR-55 I'll no longer need the FloorPod. Time to start selling. It would be nice to be able to switch between my two guitars rather than having to unplug them each time. I'm keeping a lookout for a GKP-4 but the only one that has appeared on eBay in the UK was the equivalent of $215! A little bit more than I want to pay. I may end up making a unit myself. I'm sure there will be plenty of help and advice from Forum members.

...and finally how about adding a Behringer FCB1010 to enable a number of MIDI change to be made in one go? Is anyone using one of these with a GR-55? All I need now is some talent and playing ability!

Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

musicman65

My current gig rig consist of 2 modded RR Strats...all that remains stock is the body and GK2 setup. They are identical twins with Dimarzio Area 61, 67, 58 pups, 250k pots with treble bleed mods, Super-Vee locking trems, 22 fret birdeye necks (Warmoth on Black, Mighty-Mite on White).

Also in my stable are several GK3 equipped strats, a Godin LXSA with Ghosted Floyd, and a Jackson Model 5 with Ghosted Floyd. I have found the RR Strats to be my favs over time.

My VG-99 is connected to an FC-300 foot controller, Banshee Voicebox and Emu Proteous 2000 synth rack. All are housed in a roadcase that splits into a pre-wired pedalboard with integrated mic stand. Setup takes 2-3 minutes.

More detailed pics here...
http://www.cruzerrocks.com/VG99/VG99_Case.htm

bd

GeePeeAxe

Here my downsized livingroom-studio, from left to right:

Hughes & Kettner Target double 8 mixer (analogue)
Echo Layla audio-midi interface (digital+analogue)
Mesa Boogie Triaxis tube preamp (8 modes or cannels)
Alesis Matica 900 poweramp
Behringer FCB 1010 floor-pedal-unit
Sennheiser MD421-N microphone
Sony MDR-CD580 headphone
computer with sonar cakewalk etc...
VG-99
Edirol UM-3ex midi patchbay
Axon AX50 guitar-to-midi-converter
Korg PS60 synthesizer
Ibanez TB15 guitar-combo
EV-5 expression-pedal and 2 footswitches

Of cours there are plenty softsynths in my PC, but that´s an other story...
You can see more pics and some info about the hex-guitars I use on my homepage.

Djordje
www.gpmusic.de.vu

mbenigni

QuoteMy VG-99 is connected to an FC-300 foot controller, Banshee Voicebox and Emu Proteous 2000 synth rack. All are housed in a roadcase that splits into a pre-wired pedalboard with integrated mic stand. Setup takes 2-3 minutes.

Brilliant setup, man.

80Hz

I'm clearly a 13 pin addict, rather unusual for a bassist!
Here's my gear http://ohioweddingmusic.com/gear/roland.html