Omnisphere - dynamic triggering, 8 finger tapping technique glitch

Started by jburns, August 03, 2011, 12:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jburns

using omnisphere in logic (advance driver mode) poly or mono have same symptoms=
tracking is very nice so far, hardly any symptoms, bends are great, bar dives great, vibrato good, long and short slides good,  PROBLEM IS- hammer/pull offs especially tapping across long distances are picking up wrong notes (i hate to say it in these terms but just so you guys understand its "van halen type tapping") being triggered falsely. I've tried different options within logic and the vg99, it seems to be something along the lines of how the pitch bend is being functioned through the midi exchange. i do a lot of 8 finger tapping (playing gtr like a piano) didn't have problems on the gr33 with this btw. in my omnisphere plugin no matter what i set the pitch bend range to i have trouble, whether setting down/up to 0-0 , 12-12, 24-24 etc. closest option working is setting that to down13- up 10 yet the amount of fret distance on the neck won't be perfect say 3 notes away or 12 notes away will have different symptoms mostly about a half step off in either direction. any thoughts? thx in advance. i wanna get some videos up and this is the only thing standing in my way right now.

erikbojerik

Does it sound good coming straight out of the VG-99's analog outs? 

If so, then I'd look for something in the guitar-to-midi translation.

erikbojerik

I have been using my VG as the audio interface to Apple Mainstage, and when using Guitar-to-Midi to control Mainstage keyboard sounds, I get the same problem.

I fixed this by filtering MIDI Pitch Bend messages from the VG's MIDI stream - this is a patch-assignable option in Mainstage, perhaps Omnisphere has something similar?

jburns

eh, omnisphere has few global settings, mostly for streaming. I've slightly fixed this with better intonation, but not fully.

90 percent of main stages features are in logic, with the exception of some fx (as much as i know). In logic "project" settings, theres a few filter settings for bend/aftertouch/etc. def going to try this! thanks for the heads up.

BasV

Hi Jburns,

If your tapping a lot on your guitar, maybe you could try a Chapman stick id you have a chance :-)
I have a stick with gk3, with the synth sound mistriggering happens, but that's probably because i'm not playing clean enough. Cosm is beautifull on the stick, works like charm !

Cheers,
Bas

erikbojerik

Im interested in how you mount the GK pickup on the Stick - the string spacing on the Stick is much more narrow than on a regular guitar, if I'm not mistaken (assuming you have a stock Stick).  Seems like you could capture maybe 4 strings at a time, but probably not 6....

BasV

Indeed, the hex pickup is different from the normal ones, because of the different string spacing. It captures 6 strings (in my case, the melody strings). Works like a charm :-)

Cheers,
Bas

jburns

yea been a fan of the stick since i heard tony levin, but its not in my budget. fortunately the cheapest model they have is the one I'm interested in. last time i checked (awhile ago) their gk was only a few dollars more than the stock ones which is pretty cool.

BasV

You might wanna keep an eye on the new models (coming shortly), made out of aluminum, price is gonna be way less than the current sticks.

Cheers,
Bas