DR_JONESS - GK-20 - Roland Guitar Selector - 2 Guitars Inputs - One Synth Output

Started by drjoness2001, August 27, 2013, 07:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drjoness2001

Hello all!

I have a new 13-pin Roland guitar tool, the GK-20. Designed so that two Roland 13-pin guitars can play one Roland synth.

Two inputs, one output. Foot switch to select the input, plus dual effects loop for the normal guitar signal. To get the ball rolling, the initial version is a fully assembled PC board, complete with foot switch and 1/4" jacks for the effects loops, fully tested and ready to ship. $99 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141046524050

Full video with complete details:

dedjazzgadgetz

Hello there, Dr Joness :

Great news on the GK selector front ! Now, lots of options for everyone & everyone's budget !

I'm curious... may I be so bold as to ask why the need to turn the volume off on each guitar prior to switching ?

Another question : can someone unplug the unselected GK instrument without inducing a power-supply noise *pop* in the audio of the selected GK ?

Thanks in advance,
Dedjazz
No excuses, no limits

drjoness2001

First: thanks for checking out the video! Before I sell anything, I want to test everything out as thoroughly as possible, and present various examples of how to use the gear, etc. Making the video gets to be time consuming, so it is nice to know someone checked it out.

As to your question: turning down volume before changing guitars: it depends on the patch, effects, and settings that you are using.

Given that I do not know what patches you are using, whether you are recording, playing live through a cranked up amp or PA system etc. I wanted to recommend turning the volume down.

For example, if you have a high gain patch on your guitar, typically when people put a guitar down to switch axes, they turn the volume down.

You don't have to turn down if you don't want to.

Also, since we are pointing out the obvious here, if you want to optimize the use of both guitars, you should really change GK settings as well. But, at more than seven minutes long, the video is bit lenghty, but I wanted to do everything in real time.

Wayne

dedjazzgadgetz

Thanks !

*I might have edited my previous reply with an additional question while you were busy replying, sorry... meanwhile, I'll go back to your YT video: I most certainly missed a lot of info in my haste to inquire ![/i] (you probably can understand why ! ;))

Dedjazz
No excuses, no limits

drjoness2001

No problemo:

Speaking of detail I didn't get into, the UX-20 (my US-20 clone) has complete flexibility as far as GK S1/S2 goes, so I switched it so that GK commands from the guitar controls both synths (GR-55 and VG-99) which obviously you cannot do with a US-20.

Wayne

Litesnsirens

Wayne, that's an awesome device. Any plans for future projects.  I'm thinking along the line of the same sort of features you have on the GK20 but for internal mounting so you would just need one extra 13 pin input that we could mount beside the existing input on the GR-55 and then perhaps instead of two effects loops just a single one that could double as the buffered guitar input that you have on your UX20.  I don't know enough about the electronic side of things but perhaps since it's internal the wiring could just be done the same way the subsonic input filter (for piezo guitars) works.  I wouldn't mind drilling a few holes in my GR-55 to add that kind of flexibility.  It would just be 3 as far as I can tell, one for the second 13 pin input, one for the 1/4" (both on the front). And one on top for the selector switch.  I guess maybe two tiny ones so we can see the LEDs through the top of the 55.  Perhaps some players, like myself, don't want to add another connector and more wires.

drjoness2001

drjoness2001

Quote from: Litesnsirens on September 04, 2013, 11:07:25 AM
Wayne, that's an awesome device. Any plans for future projects.  I'm thinking along the line of the same sort of features you have on the GK20 but for internal mounting so you would just need one extra 13 pin input that we could mount beside the existing input on the GR-55 and then perhaps instead of two effects loops just a single one that could double as the buffered guitar input that you have on your UX20.  I don't know enough about the electronic side of things but perhaps since it's internal the wiring could just be done the same way the subsonic input filter (for piezo guitars) works.  I wouldn't mind drilling a few holes in my GR-55 to add that kind of flexibility.  It would just be 3 as far as I can tell, one for the second 13 pin input, one for the 1/4" (both on the front). And one on top for the selector switch.  I guess maybe two tiny ones so we can see the LEDs through the top of the 55.  Perhaps some players, like myself, don't want to add another connector and more wires.

Hmmmm....well, that might be a bit tricky.

I am certain it could be done, but in the long run, an external unit still seems to make more sense. If Roland should introduce a GR-66 this winter at NAMM, you would probably rather have an external unit you can use with any synth, rather than making all those changes to your GR-55.

Wayne

Litesnsirens

True enough but if they come out with a GR-66 and it doesn't have a bunch of this stuff already in it, I'll probably pass.  Unless of course it's missing some of these features but has the complete VG-99 engine and say an Integra 7 engine..Otherwise I'm getting by fine with my GR-55, I just can't plug a non GK guitar into it.

Toby Krebs

Just a reminder . yes you can. Drill 2 holes in it and install a mono jack/switching jack set and put a Boss TU-12(or any Boss pedal a used DS-1 cost 20 dollars) and you can plug any non-GK guitar in to it. Works very well. I use it for practice or learning tunes when I don't want to use one of my GK instruments. Also as an example I have a couple big weddings coming up where a keyboard player with a doctorate in music theory and keyboard performance will be filling out my regular band. I sure as hell am not going to step on him with my GR55 keyboard playing LOL!!! so I will probably just use a non GK guitar for the gig. Again the mod makes the GR55 much more useful for me as I am often playing with bands that have keyboard and sax players etc...and for those gigs I don't need all the keyboard stuff just straight guitar. For me this works better than another US20 type box to carry/setup with more 13 pin cables.

Litesnsirens

exactly .. I just don't want the bother of any other pedals.. And Wayne has built the UX 20 that has a buffered guitar input... looks like it would fit nice in a GR-55.  The man has talent and ideas. 

Toby Krebs

Yes. The GR55 has a lot of room for a lot of stuff in it. I would like to have the guts of a US20 in it so I could drive another GR/VG unit from the GR55 without having another box on my board or carrying and setting one up.

Bill Ruppert

Wayne is great!
I have a joy stick exp pedal he built for my VG-99.
It even makes me smile when I look at it!
DrJoness is great.
Bill

Toby Krebs

drjoness2001

Quote from: dedjazzgadgetz on August 27, 2013, 08:15:47 PM
Hello there, Dr Joness :

Great news on the GK selector front ! Now, lots of options for everyone & everyone's budget !

I'm curious... may I be so bold as to ask why the need to turn the volume off on each guitar prior to switching ?

Another question : can someone unplug the unselected GK instrument without inducing a power-supply noise *pop* in the audio of the selected GK ?

Thanks in advance,
Dedjazz

A video to answer your questions:

I noticed that, if I an using PCM only patches, the rig is dead quiet. You can switch sounds or guitars with the volume as loud as you want, and there is dead silence.

With COSM modeled guitar sounds, there is a click. I would say the click has something to do with the COSM path or the additional gain the patches usually have.

Wayne

cemsky

Jason Richison

I am very much in need of purchasing a GK-20 Roland 13-pin Guitar Switcher. My friend and I both have Roland GK-2 equipped guitars, along with a Roland BK-7m arranger and a Roland GI-10 unit to convert the 13 pin signal to 5 pin midi. I would like for one of us to control the arranger key changes with one guitar while the other person plays lead guitar, and then push a button and trade roles. The GK 20 box is the perfect solution. This is the last piece to a very expensive puzzle I have been putting together. The size and functionality of the GK-20 design is perfect for my needs, along with the fact that it does not require an external power source. Any help locating one to purchase would be greatly appreciated. Or, if anyone knows where I can find any device that will allow me to live switch between two Roland GK-2 13 pin equipped guitars to one 13 pin line out, I would be very grateful. Thanks VGuitar forum community for your help.

sixeight

AFAIK no switcher unit will allow you to switch roles.  All switchers work by changing volume on the receiving units. So the unit that is off has its GK volume turned to zero.

To allow for swapping guitars,  all six GK signals and the normal pu signal will have to be swapped.  That will require a lot of electronics to accomplish.

Only the GK33 that Codesmart is developing comes close.  But it is not ready yet and you will be on a long waiting list once it is...

Jason Richison

The GK-20 is an "All-analog switching network, no latency added to synthesizer" and and does not work by changing the volume levels like the Roland US-20. It is "powered by the attached guitar synthesizer, so no external power is required." It really is the perfect solution, here is a link that tells all about it; http://www.joness.com/gr300/GK-20.htm The Primova GKMX-41 or GKMX-42, http://www.primovasound.com/gkmx_41.html , would also work, but those are both unavailable as well. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. This missing piece to my 'two Roland GK guitars into one midi arranger puzzle' is begining to cost me potential gigs. I hope I can find something soon.

gumtown

An alternative is to get another GI-10, or a GI-20, GR-20, GP-10, GR-30, GR33, and run one on each guitar and simply 'Y' switch the midi signal into the arranger.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Jason Richison

Thank you for the suggestion, but another GI-10 / GI-20 or similar device still won't fix my problem. Both guitars will still send midi information at the same time and signal the arranger to change keys for the backing band. The GK-2 and/or GK-3 Roland 13 pin devices on the guitars have three settings; Guitar, Mix, and Synth. The problem is that when going in to any device, such as a GI-10, GI-20, GR-09, GR-55 to change the 13 pin signal to standard 5 pin midi, the GK-2 still sends data that triggers the arranger, even when it is set to 'Guitar' only mode. The GK-2 also still sends data if the 'Synth' volume is completely turned all the way down. I need a way to stop one guitar at a time from sending any information. Short of physically unplugging one of the guitars in mid-song, and then trying to plug it back in when needed, some type of 13 pin A B box is needed. If the GK-2 pickup would not send data when switched to the 'Guitar' setting, we could both simply plug into a 13 pin 'Y' cable going into the GI-10 and then one of us switch to the 'Guitar' setting while the other person uses the 'Synth' setting to control the arranger, and trade off. Unfortunately, the GK-2 causes the arranger to respond in all three settings. So far it looks like Dr. Joness' GK-20 is the best solution, while the Primova GKMX-41 or 42 would also work as an A B box for 2 Guitars in - One Synth Output. Unfortunately, none of those three devices are currently available. Again, thanks for the suggestion and if anyone has a solution I very much appreciate your input.

gumtown

I am talking about Y switching the 5 pin midi output from two GI-10 midi outputs.
This still allows the GK-2 to do what ever you want, but use a 5 pin midi switcher instead of a 13 pin switcher.

Or use a midi merger for two GI-10 units, each of you use a different midi channel range, and both able to use the arranger/keyboard at the same time/independently as required.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Jason Richison

Oh, I see what you are saying, gumtown. Thanks for the idea! That would be possible. I may check into buying another GI-10 and then some type of Y switcher for the two 5 pin midi signals that would be going to the BK-7m arranger. That involves a little more equipment to set up, but would give me the end result needed. Thank you, there are some nice and smart folks here on VGuitar forum. (Here is a link to my buddy and me playing guitars to a backing arranger and changing keys using a 13 note midi foot controller.
It works good but is hard to do minor, 7th, augmented, or diminished chords because you have to use two feet at the same time while playing guitar. If I get my rig working it will be easy for one of us to control the arranger by guitar while the other guy plays lead, and then trade off back and forth. Thanks again for your input!)

gumbo

FWIW, got a spare GI-10 here in South Australia that's just collecting dust if you have trouble finding one closer..
Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...