GR-55 Bug List for submission to Roland Corp.

Started by jcmidi, February 06, 2011, 07:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnedwek

Quote from: ddlooping on March 19, 2011, 07:42:31 AM
Welcome to the forum, Ross. :)

This is more than likely due to an assignment (manual, page 54). ;)

I have been saved from myself more than once by Gumtown's Incredible Editor software. The bright orange light in the Assign section of the main window usually means "Hey, take a look here for that assignment you forgot to correct."

SLICK

If you use one of the 'panning' pulsed patches and are not running stereo it wont be pulsed as the L Ch folls in the R Ch spaces. Fair enough really and not actually a 'bug' as such but....

Could not find a way around this other than using an assign and the wave pedal to turn the PCM tone on and off.
The GR-55 seems to struggle with faster BPMs though and you will struggle to get quavers at anything over 100BPM before it starts to 'miss' the Wave pedal transitions giving your 'pulsed' tone an odd rhythmic pattern to it.
Had a little more success by using the Wave pedal to change PCM volume which allowed me to push the BPM a little higher before the rhythmic patterning returned.
Anyone else confirm this 'effect?
Parker fly deluxe,
Roland GR-55,
Laney LC30II

jwhitcomb3

I think I may have discovered a GR-55 bug.

When I set the GK Vol to be the tone volume in the main controllers page (not the assigns page), setting only the modeling volume to "on", and then turn the GK volume knob down, the model gets quieter. So far so good. But then, with the GK knob still down, if I push the EXP switch, the model volume pops back up to maximum, even while the GK knob is turned down.

This happens regardless whether the EXP or CTL or any assigns are programmed or enabled. Doesn't seem to matter what controller the EXP switch is set to either.

Anyone else run into this?

mbenigni

Quotethe model volume pops back up to maximum, even while the GK knob is turned down.

I've had some variation of this problem, for sure.  I wasn't using the EXP switch at all, but I've had a couple of cases where the GK Volume (set to function exactly as you describe) just basically stops working, with the modeling tone sending at full volume.  In these cases I've basically scratched my head (maybe cursed once or twice depending on how late into the evening...) and switched patches back and forth, and then the problem mysteriously goes away.

Like every other "problem" I've had though, I never manage to duplicate them/isolate them precisely enough to rule out user error.  There's always so much going on at the same time with the GR-55, it's difficult to keep your wits about you.  :)

bnew63

Anyone had problems with the sound from one string failing after time.
I've had this happen about a dozen times.
Rebooting the gr55 solves the problem.
Could this be the 13 pin chord.

Brian

ddlooping

Quote from: bnew63 on April 07, 2011, 03:28:57 PM
Could this be the 13 pin chord.

Quite likely. :)
Have you cleaned up the connector, as suggested in a thread here (you'll have to search, I can't remember where it is)?
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

Elantric

Yes - its very likely a bad connection in your 13 pin cable.

Read this thread for a solution.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.msg20110#msg20110

iancandler

I found tonight that when navigating the drum kits in the PCM tones I was getting no output when changing them in floorboard, going in and resetting the tones on the GR 55 itself solved the problem instantly.

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on April 07, 2011, 10:14:38 AM
I think I may have discovered a GR-55 bug.

When I set the GK Vol to be the tone volume in the main controllers page (not the assigns page), setting only the modeling volume to "on", and then turn the GK volume knob down, the model gets quieter. So far so good. But then, with the GK knob still down, if I push the EXP switch, the model volume pops back up to maximum, even while the GK knob is turned down.

This happens regardless whether the EXP or CTL or any assigns are programmed or enabled. Doesn't seem to matter what controller the EXP switch is set to either.

Anyone else run into this?
I think I've narrowed the scope of this bug.

The "tone volume" controller parameter allows you to set any of four sources to "on" or "off": PCM#1, PCM#1, model, or pickup.

If you set mutually exclusive sets of these sources to "on" and assign them to different controllers, they will still conflict. For example, if you set the GK volume to control the model tone volume (off, off, on, off), and you set the EXP to control the PCM#1 and PCM#2 tone volume (on, on, off, off), the model volume will still pop back up to full when you step on the EXPSW.

You'd think that setting a source to "off" for a controller assigned to the tone volume would cause that controller to ignore the source set to "off."

The work-around is to only use the "tone volume" target in one of the Pedal/controller parameters, and set up any others in the "assign" area, where there does not appear to be a conflict.

mbenigni

Thanks, Jonathan.  That's probably what was tripping me up as well.  Weird behavior!  I've gone over to using system-wide settings for the exp pedal and GK controls (with pretty much exactly what you describe, except no dependency on the Exp pedal switch) in order to simplify patch programming.

Spider

It first time when my GR55 freeze. I use AcComp/BassSplit patch (by Ian) and was noticed that the sound of the low E and A (modeling gitar, -12 alt. tuning) some times is terrible. It was some kind of self oscillation, vibration. I try check settings on the GR55 but in this moment it wasn't react. I coun'd event power it off.

But... I had connected the GR55 to my MacBook with running Gumtown editor.  Mac was closed so it was theoretically sleeping... but when I disconnected it GR came back to the life.

Elantric

QuoteIt first time when my GR55 freeze. . . . . Mac was closed so it was theoretically sleeping... but when I disconnected it GR came back to the life.

If you connect the GR-55 via USB to a "sleeping" MacBook - Yes, the GR-55 WILL lockup. This is Normal.

Its part of the new "Green" electronics initiative which dictates that any peripherals connected to a sleeping computer must go into a "suspend / power save" mode, to conserve energy.

Avoid this by changing your MacBook's System settings  - disable "sleep mode" when you want to create music with the GR-55.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6339590_disable-sleep-mode-macbook.html

A2theT

Quote from: iancandler on April 10, 2011, 06:51:00 PM
I found tonight that when navigating the drum kits in the PCM tones I was getting no output when changing them in floorboard, going in and resetting the tones on the GR 55 itself solved the problem instantly.

I had this exact issue tonight myself...
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Click Sky Fade

ddlooping

Quote from: iancandler on April 10, 2011, 06:51:00 PM

Unless I'm misunderstanding, isn't that a GR-55 Editor (Floorboard) bug?

gumtown

I think this thread is for issues from BUGS with the GR-55 hardware/equipment itself.

If there are issues with the editor software, please post in the Editor thread here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2951.0
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Click Sky Fade

The issue i had was regarding the hardware not the editor software. Basically all percussive samples were just noise and took a factory reset to put right.  ???

Click Sky Fade

Not so much of a bug as a progress report on a problem i've been having regarding the 'pulsating' and 'beat & groove' PCM's. Since i got the GR-55 i've had occasions where the unit just makes a drone when using any pcm that is tempo based. It happened again today (backup settings & factory reset. Again!!!) and following some reading on this forum, it hit me.

One of the threads was discussing 'tap tempo' and how it is not available when midi sync is enabled. Doh! That was it! These PCM's rely on a tempo and unless you have your unit synced at the time. You'll just not get owt!

No problem with the unit or the firmware, problem with the user!

On another note... I was not getting any sound from the unit apart from the guitar out. Scratched head!, factory reset, scratched head some more...

Expression pedal heel end down, minimum value. Doh X 2

Anyway I'm off to factory reset myself.

:)

ddlooping

Quote from: Click Sky Fade on May 03, 2011, 03:07:36 PM
Anyway I'm off to factory reset myself.
:)

Make a backup of yourself beforehand, just in case. ;)

synthgtr

Quote from: ddlooping on May 03, 2011, 04:05:46 PM
Make a backup of yourself beforehand, just in case. ;)
LOL   ;D

FreeTime

I don't know exactly how I did it, I was playing with some alternate tunings and  some 'user' tunings on the COSM guitars. After a while I went to tune my guitar (in individual string tune mode, I love that !!! ) and somehow all the strings were wrong ( Low E showed as A, A as a D etc. ). I tried disabling alt tunings, also setting the intervals back to zero, but it would'nt come back to normal until I did a factory reset.
I reloaded my custom patches and the tuner still worked

derwin

hi does anyone have any advice on buffer in/ out settings i am using my gr as an interface via usb to record into abelton 8 using an acer aspire 5536 laptop( vista 64) but the latency is terrible is it the buffer settings causing this also? is this laptop up to the job doesnt seem too, steady cpu load goes insane slows down playback ect any tips?

gumtown

Does Abelton support ASIO driver use? If it does, I recommend using ASIO mode as that provides minimal latency.
If you are using the GR-55 as the output audio device (since ASIO spec only allows one audio device at one time), then use "direct monitor" setting in the GR-55 instead, as the signal will be double buffered to send to the PC processed then sent back to the GR-55.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Can we assemble a "GR-55 Bug List" - and i will get it to Roland US at 2012 Winter NAMM show- (i see them every year)

No guarantees Roland will do anything, but at least we can say we tried.

Please post your GR-55 Bugs" on this thread  and if they make the final cut I will supply these to the top brass at Roland.

If this bug has been discussed here before, please post a URL link where the details of the bug are discussed.

thanks! 

In June 2011, Roland released GR-55 Firmware update version 1.02, which fixed these earlier bugs:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3057.msg26113#msg26113
Update history  Ver.1.02
The following bugs were fixed.
* The parameters "LOW GAIN" and "HIGH GAIN" of the EFFECT EQ do not work correctly.
* GR-55 hangs up when it keeps powering on without an operation for more than 40 hours.

Elantric

This is an example of how to add a GR-55 bug to this list
=====================================
In the MFX section using the amp sim the "mic setting" control does nothing.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4670.msg31497#msg31497