GT-001 - Best tip yet! ( Must calibrate INPUT LEVEL)

Started by Sitedrifter, December 04, 2017, 04:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sitedrifter

I have been reading a lot about this pedal and found (so far) the best tip was to calibrate it.
My Reverend was super hot and I have the input level now down to -13 (was 0) and what a difference it has made.

alfstone

Any more details about?

I can see threads about GT-100 calibrating input level, but they have to do with the expression pedal and the light turning on when hard strumming, but with the GT-001???

Alfredo

admin

Quote from: alfstone on December 05, 2017, 04:51:10 AM
Any more details about?

I can see threads about GT-100 calibrating input level, but they have to do with the expression pedal and the light turning on when hard strumming, but with the GT-001???

Alfredo

Use advanced Search
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2978.0

More details here:

GT100- Guitar Input Level
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12822.0
Gumtown wrote
Attached below is a calibration patch to set the input level (due to the lack of metering), set the input level so the EXP pedal led is just peaking on.
The GT-100 won't clip with high input levels, but it does compress beyond a certain point, making the preamps less responsive to volume change on the guitar.

An average passive humbucker input level setting sits around -7dB

You load the patch into the GT.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12822.0;attach=10471
Then with hard picking on the guitar, adjust the system setting for "guitar input level" until the EXP pedal switch light is only just peaking 'on'.

Typically a hot output/humbucker guitar will require the input level reduced down around the -12dB to -8dB range.

Dont forget the VG-99, GR-55, and GP-10, GT-1  all have "Normal PU Input Level controls as well

alfstone

OK, but in the GT-001 there is no peak led at all, and the same in my expression pedal (Roland EV-5), so....?????

Alfredo

Elantric

Quote from: alfstone on December 05, 2017, 05:45:53 AM
OK, but in the GT-001 there is no peak led at all, and the same in my expression pedal (Roland EV-5), so....?????

Alfredo

We use our ears

Luckily we know for the electric guitar, the GT-001 shares same electronic signal flow as GT-100

Typically a hot output/humbucker guitar will require the input level reduced down around the -12dB to -8dB range.

gumtown

The level setting peak led patch for the GT-100 uses the assign "input level" detection to sense the input level and switch "on" the EXP led at a specific threshold.
The same could apply to the GT-001 if there were another assignable option which is visual on the GT-001 LCD display,
such as channel switching or effect on/off.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

alfstone

Quote from: Elantric on December 05, 2017, 07:35:52 AM

Thanks, I didn't know...

and what setting do you think is best for a single coil?

Alfredo

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Sitedrifter

I have a hot humbucker and also a hot P90. The P90 can run around -5 but the humbucker needs -13

For the GT001, when you are looking at the software with the proper patch (I named it Calibrate) loaded, watch the PDL pedal icon. It will flash red when you are clipping.

Sitedrifter

Quote from: alfstone on December 05, 2017, 05:45:53 AM

Alfredo

For the GT001, when you are looking at the software with the proper patch (I named it Calibrate) loaded, watch the PDL pedal icon. It will flash red when you are clipping.

mooncaine

Can a similar trick be used to trim input level on a GT-1?

Elantric

Correct

For normal pickups, the same control exists in GP-10, VG-99, GR-55, GT-1, MS-3, GT-001, GT-100

Here is the Boss GP-10 Normal PU Input Level control in BTS

alfstone

Quote from: Sitedrifter on December 07, 2017, 09:12:17 AM

Many, many thanks!
I couldn't imagine such a great improvement. I have reduced the input level to -8.
I've made this change on the GT-001 unit. Am I wrong, or there is no such "virtual knob" for the input level  in the software?

Alfredo

Sitedrifter

Quote from: alfstone on December 07, 2017, 02:46:01 PM
Many, many thanks!
I couldn't imagine such a great improvement. I have reduced the input level to -8.
I've made this change on the GT-001 unit. Am I wrong, or there is no such "virtual knob" for the input level  in the software?

Alfredo

No such setting in the software but since it is easy to get to in the hardware, no issue for me. Enjoy your new found feature that works wonders.

Elantric

Quote from: Sitedrifter on December 08, 2017, 04:24:42 PM
No such setting in the software but since it is easy to get to in the hardware, no issue for me. Enjoy your new found feature that works wonders.

Actually this "Guitar Input Level  control does exist in Boss Tone Studio for GT ( GT-100 / GT-001)

Click in the INPUT block

Here is Guitar Input Level on GR-55 (Normal PU Gain)

AND

Here is Guitar Input Level on VG-99 (Normal PU Gain)

Sitedrifter

Quote from: Elantric on December 08, 2017, 05:12:09 PM
Actually this "Guitar Input Level  control does exist in Boss Tone Studio for GT ( GT-100 / GT-001)

Click in the INPUT block

Thanks so much. I should learn that this software is more feature rich than I have imagined.

chappi

Sitedrifter

Quote from: chappi on December 09, 2017, 11:00:06 AM
Which Reverend do you have ?

Reverend 20th anniversary double agent. P90 neck and Rail Hammer Humbucker for the bridge.

chappi

Quote from: Sitedrifter on December 09, 2017, 01:19:06 PM
Reverend 20th anniversary double agent

Nice. I've got an RG2. Thanks for this tip I'll be looking at it on the GP-10.

pelaomedinaese

sorry for change the thread theme but , is there a sound difference between gt-1 and gt-001? i read comment in anothe forum that there's a notable difference

admin

When comparing 2014 GT-001  to the 2016 GT-1 for the same COSM Amp models , I find the GT-1 to be slightly more refined and articulate.

Roland improves their DSP algorithms all the time

A  large number of folks see the available array of amplifier types and see the identical names that were on the 1995 Boss GT 5 and assume it's the identical sounds and identical processing.

I can tell you it's not the same at all. there is Major Improvement on the latest Generation Roland/ Boss products.

pelaomedinaese

Quote from: admsustainiac on December 10, 2017, 06:03:25 PM
When comparing 2014 GT-001  to the 2016 GT-1 for the same COSM Amp models , I find the GT-1 to be slightly more refined and articulate.

A  large number of folks see the available array of amplifier types and see the identical names that were on the 1995 Boss GT 5 and assume it's the identical sounds and identical processing.

I can tell you it's not the same at all. there is Major Improvement on the latest Generation Roland/ Boss products.

i ask that because i have a chance to exchange my gt-1 for a gt-001 and i want the gt-001 for the advanced featues in comparison with gt-1

Majiken

Quote from: admsustainiac on December 10, 2017, 06:03:25 PM

+1, I won't claim to be objective, but my ears hear an improvement on the modeled guitars and tunings, especially 12-string, in th GP-10 over the GR-55.
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Bill Ruppert

The GT-001 has the same sound as the GP-10 BUT with way more control in the amp section.
It has the extra control like the VG-99 but with better dynamics.
I dont think the GT-1 has the custom cab parameters as well as other tone shape available in the GT-001.
The GT-001 is like the VG-99. It was overlooked by everyone.
Wonderful tiny box with  massive amounts of power.