GP-10 - Utopia

Started by slooky, June 28, 2015, 03:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slooky

I'm just wondering if it could do the synth sound from Todd Rundgren s Utopia ,,,,the sound just before he sings "city in my head,,,,,,,"

Elantric

aliensporebomb

Are you talking about the arpeggiated/sequencer thing that M. Frog did on the original record? 

When they did the Utopia reunion (Moogy Klingman was sick but still playing so they reunited to raise funds for his medical expenses) everyone from the original Mark I Utopia band returned except for M. Frog (Jean Yves Labat - I think he's a monk now and last was seen in europe dealing with pipe organs) and so bassist John Siegler used a little Mac laptop with some sort of VSTi synthesizer software in it to do the sequence that took a wall of modulars to do back in the 1970s.

So, you could need to either use a slicer like algorithm or find a way to play that part at the speed of sound flatpicked I think.  Just flatpick the thing and add a delay and loop it to simulate an arpeggiator.  I don't have the GP-10 but if it has anything like the slicer you could probably fake it decently.

If you play out, please record a video for youtube, I've always wanted to see a band cover that song!

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

slooky

Quote from: aliensporebomb on June 29, 2015, 07:54:21 AM
Are you talking about the arpeggiated/sequencer thing that M. Frog did on the original record? 

When they did the Utopia reunion (Moogy Klingman was sick but still playing so they reunited to raise funds for his medical expenses) everyone from the original Mark I Utopia band returned except for M. Frog (Jean Yves Labat - I think he's a monk now and last was seen in europe dealing with pipe organs) and so bassist John Siegler used a little Mac laptop with some sort of VSTi synthesizer software in it to do the sequence that took a wall of modulars to do back in the 1970s.

So, you could need to either use a slicer like algorithm or find a way to play that part at the speed of sound flatpicked I think.  Just flatpick the thing and add a delay and loop it to simulate an arpeggiator.  I don't have the GP-10 but if it has anything like the slicer you could probably fake it decently.

If you play out, please record a video for youtube, I've always wanted to see a band cover that song!

Yes the original, actually saw Todd Rundgren and Utopia do that song way back when it first came out. Todd was strumming that one note(running from one end of the stage to the other) then he breaks into a chord( and did a flying twirly in the air and landed right on his backside) didn't miss a beat or lose the guitar. lol Don't know if that was planned or not but probably didn't feel good

It wouldn't be used for a band thing just for a song I could write.