admin

https://www.rorguitars.com/products/expressiv-midi-pro

Expressiv MIDI Pro Guitar
€1,986
Options
CUSTOM ORDER (Ex Tax)CUSTOM ORDER DEPOSIT
Add to Cart

The World's most advanced MIDI Guitar.
Get ready to take your performance to a whole new level. A groundbreaking fretboard scanner. An intuitive XY pad. A beautiful traditional instrument. Powerful 16Mhz processors. Together these features lift you to new dimensions of sound. And they will do the same for everything you create.

WATCH Expressive Midi-Pro In Action
READ Technical Spec

Lightning speed.
Latency is a thing of the past. The Powerful 16MHz processor sends picked notes within 6.5 mili seconds. A patented Polyphonic fretboard scanner transforms your strings and frets into 132 unique velocity sensitive switches allowing you to trigger MIDI notes from multiple modes at blistering fast speeds. Think mind blowing synthesisers with real guitar at the speed of Van Halen.

Plug & Play with everything.
Instantly connect to any hardware synth, Digital Audio Workstation or standard guitar amp with the ultra-durable plug and play outputs. Access the powerful humbuckers and traditional acoustic output from the stereo guitar jack. The high performance USB or 5-pin MIDI output control any of the thousands of synthesiser and electronic sounds available. Use all four outputs at the same time and create a mind blowing wall of sound.

A deeper connection to your synth.
The intuitive XY pad brings more functionality to your fingertips. Dynamically trigger notes while bending, modulating, and controlling virtually unlimited assignable parameters. It performs incredibly well with a plectrum allowing you to seamlessly transition between string picking and XY triggering or simply effecting the notes you've played.

Introducing Tap Mode, A whole new musical experience.
A palm push on the Tap Mode button effortlessly shifts you into a control you've never known. Instantly trigger notes by touching the string on a fret, just like pressing a key on a keyboard. This allows one handed playing while giving your other hand full freedom to control note parameters - a detail that keyboard players enjoyed for years. And playing faster than ever is a breeze with two handed tapping. Tap Mode will inspire a new musical experience no matter what kind of music you perform.

Dynamic controls.
Its simple layout allows you easily access all of your controls for any parameter, any Patch or any sound. Play the highest notes of a symphony down to the earth thumping lows of powerful synth bass with the Octave Up and Down shifts. Easily get in any key with a Semitone shift. Change MIDI channels and send patch changes to control any or multiple synths at any time. Intuitive control is at the heart of the Expressiv MIDI Pro leaving your spectators wondering what world you came from.

Customize yours.
Fully customize your exact preferences with the easy to use menu. From individual string gains to XY mapping and play modes, your  performance will be a dream. The 32 character illuminated LCD display brings full MIDI control to any situation. And the onboard memory allows you save your favourite settings so your guitar is yours.

Go Acoustic.
Play completely traditional on stage and in the studio or just add another beautiful layer to your wall of sound! Hand made piezo saddles by Graph Tech in Canada bring a powered acoustic output from stereo guitar jack.

Custom Built for Professionals.
We designed and engineered the MIDI Pro for world class musicians. A Beautiful maple neck and rosewood fingerboard gives smooth, fast playing with a traditional feel. Hand wound Seymour Duncan humbuckers bring a powerful tone-rich output. Handmade Schaller locking tuners give extremely stable tuning along with ultra-fast string changing. Machined aluminium control plates with black anodised finish brings striking lifetime durability. A hand filed brass nut gives optimum playability with high sustain for years to come. We hand spray all of our bodies with 4 coats of primer followed by 3 coats of ultra-durable and stunning satin white finish. The Expressiv MIDI Pro will perform like pro's expect: flawlessly!

The ultimate creators instrument.
Never before has this level of control been available from one guitar. Whether you want to stay traditional and experiment with new sounds or submerge yourself in modern music production. If guitar playing, music creating or live performance is your passion, then the Expressiv MIDI Pro will inspire you to new heights.

https://www.rorguitars.com/products/expressiv-midi-pro

PAY NOW €2990 (ex tax)

hippietim

Has anyone played one of these in the wild?

The Schwartz

Just wanted to provide an update regarding this guitar. I was able to speak with Rob, and ultimately decided to go ahead with the purchase. In my previous Gear Page post, I was angry, and I kind of behaved like a jerk, so I removed it. Contrary to my characterization of Rob, he is a very nice person, and has been very responsive to my questions and suggestions -- you just have to communicate with him via phone.

As far as the guitar itself is concerned, it is indeed the best MIDI guitar solution out there, no question. Like any MIDI instrument, you have to set it up per your personal playing style, so initially there's a bit of tweaking involved. Tracking is excellent for both picked and legato playing, and I haven't perceived any significant latency (keep in mind that the tactile response between a real and virtual instrument is different, which at least for me can account for latency that's not really there). What I really appreciate is how well the guitar tracks keyboard-based instruments such as piano, rhodes, harpsichord, etc. Even the best pitch to MIDI pickups can have issues with that.

The construction of the guitar is solid, and all the switches and knobs feel great. I particularly like the neck. It has a nice oil finish, and the profile is very comfortable. I haven't actually used the infinity mirror touch pad that much, though it is very easy to assign to different functions. I suppose my only criticism of the design is that it would be more ergonomic to have the X/Y controller somewhere below the strings within the natural playing arc of the right hand. It's a little awkward to go from picking to using the pad.

If anyone has any questions, let me know!

hippietim

Quote from: The Schwartz on December 03, 2018, 05:16:54 AM
Just wanted to provide an update regarding this guitar. I was able to speak with Rob, and ultimately decided to go ahead with the purchase. In my previous Gear Page post, I was angry, and I kind of behaved like a jerk, so I removed it. Contrary to my characterization of Rob, he is a very nice person, and has been very responsive to my questions and suggestions -- you just have to communicate with him via phone.

As far as the guitar itself is concerned, it is indeed the best MIDI guitar solution out there, no question. Like any MIDI instrument, you have to set it up per your personal playing style, so initially there's a bit of tweaking involved. Tracking is excellent for both picked and legato playing, and I haven't perceived any significant latency (keep in mind that the tactile response between a real and virtual instrument is different, which at least for me can account for latency that's not really there). What I really appreciate is how well the guitar tracks keyboard-based instruments such as piano, rhodes, harpsichord, etc. Even the best pitch to MIDI pickups can have issues with that.

The construction of the guitar is solid, and all the switches and knobs feel great. I particularly like the neck. It has a nice oil finish, and the profile is very comfortable. I haven't actually used the infinity mirror touch pad that much, though it is very easy to assign to different functions. I suppose my only criticism of the design is that it would be more ergonomic to have the X/Y controller somewhere below the strings within the natural playing arc of the right hand. It's a little awkward to go from picking to using the pad.

If anyone has any questions, let me know!

Can you show a video of some tracking performance?

Smash

That's some 180!

Also interested on latency claims - is this like a previous radar system or conductive frets? How does it cope with bends?

Edit- just watched video. Conductive frets I think. It doesn't do traditional bends - pitch bend from kaos pad. So very much a latter day synth axxe.

Interesting.

The Schwartz

Quote from: hippietim on December 03, 2018, 08:53:29 AM
Can you show a video of some tracking performance?

Gladly! Once I'm able to put down our new baby for an hour I'll get something posted. At this rate I anticipate getting it done in approximately 3-4 years (or maybe sometime this week — I'm new to this fathering thing.)

The Schwartz

Quote from: Smash on December 03, 2018, 10:09:59 AM
That's some 180!

Also interested on latency claims - is this like a previous radar system or conductive frets? How does it cope with bends?

Edit- just watched video. Conductive frets I think. It doesn't do traditional bends - pitch bend from kaos pad. So very much a latter day synth axxe.

Interesting.

Yes, conductive frets. You do have to keep the contacts between the frets and the strings clean. This is accomplished by briefly rubbing the strings against the frets up and down the neck.

Traditional bends do indeed work, though the x/y pad works well for this purpose, especially when in tapping mode.

But yeah, it's still not a replacement for the synth-axe. I think the only thing I've seen that kind of resembles it is the Lineage MIDI guitar, which may or may not still be in development.

admin

Quote from: The Schwartz on December 03, 2018, 01:20:20 PM

But yeah, it's still not a replacement for the synth-axe. I think the only thing I've seen that kind of resembles it is the Lineage MIDI guitar, which may or may not still be in development.

AFAIK - You Rock is Dead / History -

http://www.yourockguitar.com/

http://store.inspiredinstruments.com/

which was supposed to be the cash cow for  supporting development of the

LineAge  - which never got the String bending Pitch bend to work

And Lineage site has not been updated since 2014

and they have not been to NAMM since 2017 
https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2019/directory

TobyB

I have one of these on order ... red and black! Hopefully in the next month or two. Exciting...
Alternative, when it comes to wired frets, is the IR Solange, but they aren't progressing things at the moment ...

Rhcole

I thing Starr Labs is still going.
starrlabs.com

jimmyj

TobyB, please let us know how this goes. I am also interested in one of these guitars but have been afraid to send my money and never see the guitar.  I sent a message to them and never heard back.

TobyB

That's disappointing. I had an extensive discussion,  put down a deposit,  and then have had regular email exchanges to keep me updated on progress, and recently a decision on whether to face the headstock in maple or black. I anticipate delivery in the next few months based on this. I certainly am not anxious about non-delivery and estimated times seem realistic.
I will confirm as/when ...

TobyB

Just had an email to say it's finished ... red and black, it looks fabulous! Awaiting a case for shipping... but very exciting. And the SY 1000 should be arriving too ... great time for high-tech guitar nerds...

admin

Post a review

Of course without a GK13 output on that new ROR MIDI guitar - the SY-1000 will not work

TobyB

Not wanted ... this guitar is a MIDI controller to plug in to hardware and software synths etc. to send note and control data ... an alternative to my Linnstrument, Keystep, etc. And to my FTP-fitted guitars - with a lot more speed, accuracy, etc.
I mention the SY1000 as it's hopefully a massive step up on my GR55 to make hex-pickup tech more exciting too ... with Bill Bax's GKP-2 breakout box in the chain. I have that tech (GK-3 & Godin) for the SY1000 for sound output processing but anticipate the guitar as a better MIDI device.

Yanko

TobyB

If you happen to read this and have the time please write a review of the guitar.

Yanko

Sent a private message to TobyB asking for a review six weeks ago - still no answer. :/
Any other owner in this thread?

rockzvezda1

Quote from: Yanko on June 05, 2020, 07:38:43 AM
Sent a private message to TobyB asking for a review six weeks ago - still no answer. :/
Any other owner in this thread?

I'm one of the first ROR guitars customer

This is my custom model

nix808

oh wow-that's so nice!
hope you really enjoy it
Rock and Rock my boat, as long as you don't rock and rock my boat!hehe

rockzvezda1

Quote from: nix808 on June 27, 2020, 10:13:14 PM
oh wow-that's so nice!
hope you really enjoy it

Unfortunately it was a huge mistake that cost me around €2,990...

jimmyj

QuoteUnfortunately it was a huge mistake that cost me around €2,990...
I was interested in one of these guitars. Can you tell us why you feel this way.

rockzvezda1

Quote from: jimmyj on June 28, 2020, 04:46:18 AM
   I was interested in one of these guitars. Can you tell us why you feel this way.

It's all about midi tracking:
It's very poor if it comes to tracking in normal mode aka playing like an electric guitar with 2 hands. I was better if you playing it with one hand like tapping but its not my style of playing.
Too many false triggers, no pitch bends (at least in my version).
It needs to be recalibrated every time you turn it off.
A lot of things mate, you can ask something specific about the guitar.

I really tried everything to make it track like it should even sent it back to Ireland for upgrading the processor to version 2
but after 4 years of trying I gave up.

After this horrible experience I ended up with spend $2000 more to buy Fender TriplPlay strat and accessories.
And after 2 more years of understanding how pitch to midi work, changing a bunch of strings sets, different necks, different actions.
I finally win and happy with the results.

Check out my insta page, you can see how good the tracking is

https://www.instagram.com/icecoldjack/

Yanko

Quote from: rockzvezda1 on June 28, 2020, 06:10:17 AM
It's all about midi tracking:
It's very poor if it comes to tracking in normal mode aka playing like an electric guitar with 2 hands. I was better if you playing it with one hand like tapping but its not my style of playing.
Too many false triggers, no pitch bends (at least in my version).
It needs to be recalibrated every time you turn it off.
A lot of things mate, you can ask something specific about the guitar.

I really tried everything to make it track like it should even sent it back to Ireland for upgrading the processor to version 2
but after 4 years of trying I gave up.

After this horrible experience I ended up with spend $2000 more to buy Fender TriplPlay strat and accessories.
And after 2 more years of understanding how pitch to midi work, changing a bunch of strings sets, different necks, different actions.
I finally win and happy with the results.

Check out my insta page, you can see how good the tracking is

https://www.instagram.com/icecoldjack/

Thanks for letting us know!! The fact that you upgraded the processor to version 2 and tracking was still getting false triggers... I really got the impression since it is not pitch to midi that it would be a whole new playing experience... hmm maybe not...I was really looking at one of these but now it feels a bit uncertain...

Yanko

TobyB:

Really looking forward to your views, very important so one can get a balanced view because maybe the new improved MIDI Pro 2 is indeed is better than the older custom built for rockzvezda1...

It's between this MIDI PRO 2 and Solange 6 - I thought they where pretty much the same but maybe the Solange 6 is the best option?

TobyB you decided to go with the MIDI Pro 2 over the Solange 6 - That's why I hope you show up here again and let us know the pros and cons...

I just want to be able to play stuff like piano and violin and so on without no glitches or mistriggers etc.

rockzvezda1

Quote from: Yanko on June 30, 2020, 04:11:16 AM
TobyB:

Really looking forward to your views, very important so one can get a balanced view because maybe the new improved MIDI Pro 2 is indeed is better than the older custom built for rockzvezda1...

It's between this MIDI PRO 2 and Solange 6 - I thought they where pretty much the same but maybe the Solange 6 is the best option?

TobyB you decided to go with the MIDI Pro 2 over the Solange 6 - That's why I hope you show up here again and let us know the pros and cons...

I just want to be able to play stuff like piano and violin and so on without no glitches or mistriggers etc.

They are absolutely different-

MIDI PRO 2 uses arduino chip so its just 'remember' (when you do your calibration) on which fret which note should be. And this is the problem cause you cant play the same note twice with all same technics, attack, position, etc. That's why tracking is so bad.

On the other hand Solange 6 is completely different. It uses fret sensors (on the each fret and under each string) built into neck. That's why its more expensive Even without any midi controllers. I wanted to buy this guitar but after this message https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25124.msg190884#msg190884 I've changed my mind.

So for your needs the best option can be a tripleplay guitar- or you can buy just a controller and attach to your present instrument or buy new guitar with build in controller. Like http://www.visionaryinstruments.com/products/controller-guitars/ do. This guy can build in OEM version of tripleplay in your custom made guitar with a lot of midi controllers. But price would be like in between MIDI PRO 2 and Solange 6.

OR maybe try this one https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26200.0 ?