PRIMOVA MIDX-20 Dual Roland USB MIDI Converter / Ctrl Interface

Started by CodeSmart, March 05, 2016, 05:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

Quote from: slyisdead on December 07, 2017, 03:39:07 AM
Hi all !

Can anyone tell me if the MIDX-20 would work between my Boss GP-10 and a Rocktron Midi raider ?

Thanx a lot

I'd say 100% yes.
(However the MIDX-20 only have standard 5-pin MIDI connectors so it can't be powered by the two Rocktron extra pins)
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

chappi

Robert, is it safe to assume that I can plug both gp10 and ms3 into the midx-20 once you've completed the ms3 bridge?

CodeSmart

Quote from: chappi on December 07, 2017, 04:20:54 PM
Robert, is it safe to assume that I can plug both gp10 and ms3 into the midx-20 once you've completed the ms3 bridge?
Sure, if not I eat my hat!

(Grrr....haven't received the MS-3 yet, the guy I ordered from went to holiday and forgot all about it).

malachi1313

malachi1313

Is it the email at the website then? And thanx for the help!!

CodeSmart

Yes, just received my new Boss MS-3. It's really small and the build quality is great.

Now it's possible to start working on a MIDI bridge for it ;D

1VL

Hi everybody

I updated the firmware of my MIDX-20 last week from v1.2 to v2.5
My first attempt with a neusonik iM/One from a windows 7  PC wasn't successful: The process failed and the devices LEDs kept blinking after restart and it was not accessible with the Editor anymore.
At home with my fireface everything worked like a charm.

But configuring settings with the editor is possible with the iM/One.

I ran into this problem while trying to update the firmware on my way to a concert ... always a bad idea to change something before a concert ...

Do you guys have (positive or negative) experiences with other portable Midi Interfaces? Is there already a list of Midi interfaces that support firmware updates with MIDX-20?

Thank you to all the helpful people here on the board!

& a happy new year!

vtgearhead

Quote from: 1VL on December 31, 2017, 08:32:24 AM
Do you guys have (positive or negative) experiences with other portable Midi Interfaces? Is there already a list of Midi interfaces that support firmware updates with MIDX-20?

I swear by the M-Audio Midisport 1x1.  It has worked flawlessly for me in any and all situations, including programming of devices that use huge sysex messages.

CodeSmart

Quote from: 1VL on December 31, 2017, 08:32:24 AM

For a list of interfaces, pleases see first post in this thread:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21480.0

The cheapest bullet proof portable one is TIE Interface 1/10
The recommended bullet proof portable one is Roland UM-ONE MKII

My theory that some work for editing but not for firmware update (more data) could be related to buffering (or lack of thereof) in the interface hardware.

1VL

Thank you - you are awesome!

I have searched the whole thread and overlooked that there is already a suitable topic. ... :-\

rolandvg99

+1 for the Roland UM-ONE MKII. Zero issues vs the M-Audio Midispirt UNO which locks up every now and then.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

1VL

Thank you ... I'm definitely gonna buy one of these for my live setup!

Different story:
I just stumbled over these devices
Mooer Radar: http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201709227917.html
Mooer GE-200: http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201709225660.html

One of them is not yet available here, but the possibility to have my own IRs in such a small housing with me (radar) sounds quite appealing to me. That could well complement my GP-10 and GR-55 and help produce a proper sound.

Both have no Midi I/O, but a USB port (GE-200: USB B, Radar: Micro USB) for data transfer from the PC Editor.

Would that be possible to control them with the MIDX-20 (change presets, IRs)?
I do not know at all whether they are class compliant: Here (http://www.mooeraudio.com/?FirmwareUpdate.html) is a *.dll for download - for driver installation?

Does anyone have one of these? Are there any chances?

Elantric

slyisdead

Just received my MIDX 20  : Connected to a Rocktron Midi Raider. Awsome piece of art. Now my GP10 is magic !
Thanx so much "CodeSmart" for your beautiful work !

CodeSmart

MS-3 Bridge is ongoing in slow but steady phase. Effect-wise MS-3 is actually a nice hybride between Katana and GT-1 in many aspects. Effects are more Katana-like, spiced up with the great BPM possibilities of the GT-1 for all rates/speeds/delay times.

This is the MIDI map I base my coding on: http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX_20_MS3.pdf

Appears to exist an unused "BASS AUTO WAH" in the MS-3 (at least how I see it now),
maybe I find something more in there...

CodeSmart

MS-3 MIDI Bridge Coding done. Now over to the parameter verification/testing phase.

A new batch of MIDX-20 units is in production. Expect sometime February.

Update 2018-01-16 : 22:14
- Everything REVERB verified
- Everything DELAY params verified
- Everything MASTER params verified
- Everything NOISE GATE params verified
- Everything L1-L3 verified
- Everything FOOT VOL params verified

TODO:
- Patch related CC#'s
- MOD1/MOD2 params
- FX1/FX2 params
- FOOT BPM

pokett

Learned about this from the Boss MS-3 Facebook group!

Had a **hopefully** quick question to see if I'm understanding how this works/can be used:

I have a Boss MS-3, but it won't send PC changes in it's memory mode (the MS-3 terminology is 'Assigns') only CC messages. I'm using the MS-3 to change presets on a pedal via Midi PC messages. Would I be able to use this product, sitting in-between the MS-3 and the pedal via Midi, to convert CC messages that I sent from the MS-3 into PC messages that the pedal is expecting? And if so, would any PC messages sent to the pedal still pass through unimpacted?

Thanks!

CodeSmart

Quote from: pokett on January 17, 2018, 11:26:09 AM
Learned about this from the Boss MS-3 Facebook group!

Had a **hopefully** quick question to see if I'm understanding how this works/can be used:

I have a Boss MS-3, but it won't send PC changes in it's memory mode (the MS-3 terminology is 'Assigns') only CC messages. I'm using the MS-3 to change presets on a pedal via Midi PC messages. Would I be able to use this product, sitting in-between the MS-3 and the pedal via Midi, to convert CC messages that I sent from the MS-3 into PC messages that the pedal is expecting? And if so, would any PC messages sent to the pedal still pass through unimpacted?

Short answer: Yes it has a filter to convert a given CC# to PC#. The PC will carry the same data originated from the CC data. You would connect the MS-3 to MIDX MIDI In and MIDX MIDI OUT to the pedal. No USB magic required.

Looooooong answer (now we talking USB magic)

A) The Way In to MS-3
The primary objective with this excercise is to provide a way IN TO the MS-3, to control the MS-3 patch number, effect types and effect parameters etc. from the outside world. Therefore the MIDX needs to be connected to the USB port of the MS-3. When a certain CC#'s appear at MIDX 5-pin MIDI IN (or at the secondary USB port), the MIDX will modify the related setting, press a button, enable a Loop or whatever  inside the MS-3 (using a hidden SysEx conversation).
Same wise, incoming PC# will change patch of the MS-3.

B) The Way Out of MS-3
The MS-3 is designed to control other things, hence it only have a MIDI OUT connector.

When the MS-3 is setup to transmit MIDI OUT (CC# and PC#), they will also appear at the USB port (still to be verified) and from there they will be relayed out to the MIDX 5-pin MIDI OUT (and also to the secondary USB). Now, while a certain CC# command number is passing through the MIDX on its way out, it's possible to apply "Filters" to it. One of these is called the "CC# to PC# Translation", resulting in a transformation from CC# command number to PC# command. Any other PC# or CC# emitted by the MS-3 will pass through untouched and also appear at MIDI OUT.

CodeSmart

A classy pedalboard by Ibrahim in Turkey, using the MS-3 to control the GP-10 (through the MIDX-20).

CodeSmart

MIDX-20 MIDI Bridge for BOSS MS-3 - Extend the MS-3 controller with even more control
Control everything of the MS-3 using 100+ CC#, using any MIDI controller (USB or 5-PIN).
Development completed, everything verified - Firmware soon available for download on PrimovaSound web page.

GuitarBuilder

"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

CodeSmart

V2.6 Released
Firmware / PC Assistant V2.6 including MS-3, GT-1, Katana, GP-10, GT-001 etc. posted here:
http://www.primovasound.com/midx_20_page2.html

MIDX-20 Release notes:
V2.6 2018-01-24
New: Added Boss MS-1 MIDI Bridge
New: Added Boss GT-1 PC# OUT
New: Added More params for Katana Pitch shifter
New: Added Added CC# for Katana FX Loop on/off
Bug: Fixed Katana CC# bugs with CC20-CC23

MIDX-20 MS-3 MIDI Bridge implementation chart
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX_20_MS3.pdf

MIDX-20 GT-1 MIDI Bridge implementation chart
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX_20_GT1.pdf

MIDX-20 V2 Katana MIDI Bridge implementation chart
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX_20_KatanaV2.pdf

CodeSmart

FYI I've just sent out this mail:

Hi,
I'm taking orders for a new limited batch of the MIDX-20 now.
I send this e-mail because you've been in contact with me regarding this product.
Features of the latest firmware:
-   Control of any MIDI class compliant devices.
-   Control of Katana V1 and V2 (in-built extensive Katana MIDI bridge)
-   Control of Boss GT-1 (in-built extensive GT-1 MIDI bridge)
-   Control of Boss MS-3  (in-built extensive MS-3 MIDI bridge)
-   Control of Boss GP-10 using Assigns and MIDI out to iPad and external USB/MIDI synths.
-   Control of Boss GT-001 using Assigns
-   Control of VG-99, GT-10, GT-100, GR-55 and most other Roland/Boss gear.
-   Control of Fender MustangV2 Amps  (in-built extensive Mustang MIDI bridge)
-   Compatible with FCB, Softstep, Logidy or any other popular foot controller.
-   Extensive MIDI filtering and message remapping.
-   MIDI IN and MIDI OUT with MIDI THRU possibility.
-   Two USB connectors.
-   Two jacks for Dual footswitches (Boss FS) or Expression pedals (EV-5)  directly into the box.

Power adapter - Standard 9V Boss guitar DC adapter not included.
(May also be powered using a phone charger 5V to the USB Mini connector)

Some advanced settings require connecting a Windows PC using a USB-to-MIDI cable (ex: Roland UM-ONE MKII) using the PC-Assistant Software.
This also applies if you need to update to firmware or want to swap firmware variant.

Prices:
Inside EU (incl. 25% VAT):   €185 EUR
Anywhere outside EU:   $185 USD

Or any of these currencies outside EU:
NZ      $253 NZD
Australia      $235 AUD
Canada      $232 CAD
Norway      1450 NOK

It's not the cheapest thing on earth, but it's hand-built and pretty unique.
Downloads, PC-program and documents are here: http://www.primovasound.com/midx_20_page2.html

To order:
PayPal amount to robert.fransson@primova.se
Please put "MIDX-20" in comment field.

Lead time:
I will be able to start shipping out some units sometime next week.

Thanks
Robert