Zoom UAC-2 - Any love for this?

Started by Codeseven, January 25, 2016, 09:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Codeseven

I'd like a basic USB 3 audio interface to match the capabilities to of an iPad Pro. After NAMM it seems the UAC-2 might fit the bill.

Does Zoom have a decent reputation for quality and service, i.e. driver updates?

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/production-recording/audio-interfaces/zoom-uac-2-usb-30-audio-converter

Elantric

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/618474-audio-interface-low-latency-performance-data-base-28.html

I am in the process of getting a little Zoom UAC-2 to test. I have been doing some further investigating and have discovered that Zoom employed a proprietary audio specific hardware developer in Japan to develop the controller/driver for the unit.

Translated interview with the developers , which is a hard slog, but you can make out what is being conveyed Here

Its great to see the Japanese firms assigning time and energy to the area of dedicated audio controllers/drivers for better latency performance, instead of just falling into line with the off the shelf solutions many settle for. Yamaha also developed in-house for the Steinberg UR line , and despite it not being a class leader, it is better than the generics.

Lets see where the dust settles on this one.

Elantric

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fav.watch.impress.co.jp%2Fdocs%2Fseries%2Fdal%2F20150727_713546.html

Ken Fujimoto of Digital Audio Laboratory
# 644 times: ultra-low latency of USB audio, the back side of software development to DSD recording is also possible

# 644 times: ultra-low latency of USB audio, the back side of software development to DSD recording is also possible
(2015/7/27 12:40)

USB audio interface to the USB DAC, domestic manufacturer of musical instruments, but a number of products have been released from the audio equipment manufacturers, there is a company of about 50 employees that supports a central part of their product. "Even before the support the DSD corresponding USB DAC of appeared one after another company?

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com.au&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/dal/579029.html&usg=ALkJrhhHyTTmteajBCwQU41k3fD6eoBPlg

" Was introduced in the article that, it is a system house called:

Interface Corporation.
http://www.itf.co.jp/prod/middleware/audiodrv
The company is a company that has been developing drivers and middleware a number of USB devices, engineers population with a track record that has supported the PC peripheral equipment of Japan as a behind-the-scenes. Not limited to USB devices, a variety of hardware with a focus on firmware and drivers, development and design of software, also has made a microcomputer application system development, design and research.

The company starting in the 2009's were delivered to the phrase manufacturers a driver for USB audio, it has been engaged in a number of audio drivers and system hardware, firmware, and the like. System for PCM, of course, including the DSD, many USB DAC manufacturer of Japan, he companies that are supported by the behind the scenes the audio interface manufacturer. In fact the other day, is an ultra low-latency audio interface that was introduced zoom (ZOOM) in the article "UAC-2" and "UAC-8" is also Toka I thing the company has to support the development ....

UAC-2 (top) and UAC-8 (below)
The other day, because I was able to watch for the talk to the person in charge of the interface, trying to introduce. Mr. Yukinori Hirabayashi of I met was the company's president's office, Chief, but Takuya Mori's for two people of the first Sales Department Sales Division 2-manager (or less, titles omitted).

Mr. Yukinori Hirabayashi of the president's office, Chief

Takuya Mori first Sales Department Sales Division 2, section chief
USB 3.0 compatible audio-related development that began from the fumbling.
Even more than the results FPGA
- Your name's interface, I hear really many places. Now such as drivers and firmware of USB DAC and USB audio interface, is it offering to how many companies?

Hirabayashi: all domestic manufacturers, but has become a provision to domestic brands, is currently about 12 companies.

- Is it not in most of the other Japanese manufacturers?

Hirabayashi: No, no, is still only part of the manufacturer. Just has received an inquiry from the addition to a lot of manufacturers, it is not kept pace the actual situation. Also from foreigners has come out also the case where I am poppy is your voice, but which one will correspond to the earlier, from management judgment that, we are give priority to the domestic at present. The better is, of course, I because efficiency is good. However, once you round, it will have the possibility to put in a view to overseas.

- Today, it is the one thing that I want to listen to us in detail story corresponding to the USB 3.0. The other day, I tried using the UAC-2, UAC-8 of the zoom, perhaps we'll also provide the lowest world latency. This driver, I overheard a story that had been developed in the interface's. Is this true?

UAC-2

UAC-8
Mori: so far, but it did not is expressed, in the development of the UAC-2, UAC-8 I was allowed even though the Company. Since the development of USB audio had been followed all the way, I have a very interested in USB 3.0. Just because the controller chip there was little, I had not put out a pretty hand, so far also because I received your voice cliff, "Do not do the product of USB 3.0 together?" From the zoom's that had relations, "latency the we were started to develop and set a world "to the goal.

- Because the controller chip is little, What does it mean?

Mori: controller chip corresponding to the audio of USB 2.0 is some of many but, USB 3.0 support of things, it still has not been too much supply. As far as we know, do we not much Renesas Electronics and Cypress of two companies of the currently issued by the device manufacturer? Certainly, if a bridge IC for use as a mass storage USB 3.0, I have a lot , because it was a limited one that can be used in audio, in our alone was the reality is quite difficult to put out a hand. Against this backdrop, there is a story from the zoom-san, gladly I had you to participate, in fact, at that time, what does not mean if I knew what is shorten the latency if the, was just groping state. The first six months, against the study of how we can advance the design, it was a trial and error. Although I was the approach that uses a USB audio class initially, only to, there was a limit that has been originally defined as the USB standard. But was able to bring the latency up to a certain level, there is no choice but to design its own in order to more than that, it means that, where large off the rudder, went in the direction of implementation in its own way were you.

- Where I want a little to check, as well as with USB 3.0, but it is the USBAudio Class 2 can be used?

Mori: Let's leave the easily organize so that there is no misunderstanding. While there are three major hardware standard called 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 to the USB, there is a thing called USB Audio Class 1 and USB Audio Class 2, these are exactly the independent different thing. Of course there is a relationship of transfer speed, for use with USB 1.1, but will be limited to USB Audio Class 1, if the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0, and as both the USB Audio Class 1,2. Advantages of using the USB 3.0, since there is a speed in excess of 480Mbps, is why can be passed through more channels.

- That's right. Because USB 3.0 So latency is padded, I a place that anyhow does not go convincing ....

2010 issued driver "ITF-Audio for Windows"
Mori: You're right. The original company has issued an audio driver that corresponds to the ASIO standard called ITF-Audio for Windows
http://www.itf.co.jp/prod/middleware/audiodrv
in 2010, initially Meiuchi as "the world's highest level of audio driver", latency was also boasts a 10msec and the world's best. However, while someone is looking on in blank amazement, 5msec, maker to issue a number of 3msec appeared abroad, I have been removed. More than sing the "world's highest level" is, in that not reconsider the speed dove, has been promoting a lot of research, because there was talk of the zoom's, here I went focused. In, and return the story, in fact, rather than USB 3.0, so latency is shortened, it has found that the better to use a host-side controller for USB 3.0 is faster. It is that the performance of the controller chip than that is the band range.

- Do the USB controller chip that are mounted in the UAC-2, UAC-8 are using what?

Mori: It's because there is also a duty of confidentiality, leave face down. However, it uses the Renesas, even by such as whether to use the Cypress, the difference of the final latency should come out. Of course, not only the PC side of the driver, the equipment side of the USB drivers, that is because coming out is a difference in performance by the firmware, we in our company involved in both.

-? Measurement of the latency at the how carried out you have or product introduction of UAC-2 of the zoom of the site, there is a phrase called "ultra-low latency of the class's fastest 2.2ms", I 96kHz / 24bit was measured in the buffer size to a minimum at a sampling rate of, so became the 2.22msec, I thought it was the same result ....

Latency measurement result of a recent review (96kHz / 24bit)
Mori: It is measured in the same loop back to the method that has been measured in basically AV Watch. The middle of the signal, such as the grasped If the input latency, but is likely to be also be measured individually, such as the output of the latency, to it is very with it, in the first place because it is impossible to be such as comparison with other products, such as much as possible generic measure and has been compared in the way.

- Previous 5msec, it foreign manufacturers that have achieved the 3msec, but it is that of RME. Indeed, the past few years, I think the company was in the top. According to the description of the RME, because it uses the FPGA to the internal, absolutely fast to it, and did things, but it is not been able to exceed it?

Mori: While we have positioned as an important benchmark RME, I thought that would be impossible to exceed indeed the FPGA. However, in repeating a lot of trial and error, it is possible to exceed it, yet was able to further increase the performance in USB 3.0 is, there was the unexpected honestly. It is a form of out of the technical team was frequently paid attitude Gong that put someone up to the bitter end. That said, in this tuning, took even much time. Simply it does not mean latency is good if fewer. No matter how fast, is out When the noise is riding. While repeating the test, such as "one-time noise was riding continues to play for hours", to bring to a place called this if absolutely all right, it took the time. Because it was issued a lot of requirements from the zoom's side, and finished on the quality of the drivers that can clear it.

- The future, or is even more competitors there is a possibility that will increase the performance likely?

Mori: I think that it is of course. Again than carried out in the software, I think that there is the faster we did in the FPGA, FPGA, and since has evolved by the day as well, such as VHDL, which is a tool to use the FPGA, After re-compiled with the latest version, performance is increased, since also very likely such. Here I think that if Ikere to work hard each other.

- In want to do is ask here, the fact that the 2.22msec was put out in the UAC-2 96kHz is, whether such that there is a similar latency in future third-party products can be realized, is that.

Hirabayashi: You do not have to go as they have in other companies design you made ​​in the zoom's. If carried out with other companies san, also it is necessary to perform the design again, you should become to that performance it was also different.

Forest: In the case of Mr. zoom of the product, because it was also decorated with various and special gimmick, even if in the developed with another company's, will become inevitably different design. The device side of the CPU, such as a USB chip, because you have also different lot of conditions, it will be the performance of the total it means that going to a design tailored to it.

- By the way, in the zoom but has been put out also audio interface of the Thunderbolt, such as TAC-2 and TAC-8, if they are also compared as you will either become development also TAC-2, TAC-8 in the interface's? will there is a difference in the latency?

Hirabayashi: The Company has let me in charge has not been involved for the last Thunderbolt product because the USB product. However, the same since has been adjusted by almost equivalent performance, I think that almost the same latency for both products.

DSD related development also evolution.
Finally recording also feasible to
- So, here is a slightly different topic, I would like to ask for the DSD-related system. When I interviewed two years ago, just started the DSD-compatible drivers, but provide to the companies was that was started, what does this DSD-related are then progress?

Mori: I think that it has introduced a product called ITF-USB DSD, First, Windows for a thing called ITF-Audio Toolkit as a player software on the playback side derived from there, we put out for the Mac. Of course you a place I use and foober2000 but, as is also the manufacturer's, because it was the fact that their own software rather than using the free software, I was allowed to offer.

Hirabayashi: If you actually each company's offer with the product, because the software that provides each of the GUI, you have become to what look was also changed significantly. Also it has been put out products that ITF-USB EXPCM as a solution, such as it is cheaper system development Apart from it.

"ITF-USB DSD" of DSD corresponding driver

It was developed as a player software "ITF-Audio Toolkit"

ITF-USB EXPCM
- Do such What is a ITF-USB EXPCM?

Mori: Now, each company's DSD corresponding product, or corresponds to 11.2MHz, the result of such corresponding to 384kHz, because it has become a quite expensive, is what was designed to be kept to a more low-cost. You will need a controller chip of TI in order to respond to 11.2MHz and 384kHz. However, DSD is as long as that good up well PCM also 192kHz at 5.6MHz, by the ITF-USB EXPCM, you jerk can be cheaper. In addition, to develop a thing called ITF-USB DSD REC as a completely new product in the DSD-related, it is the place that started the current guidance to customers.

ITF-USB DSD REC of product pre-launch development document (posted authorized)
-? For example the fact that REC was waiting for it is one that corresponds to the recording of DSD!?!

Mori: Yes, those still under development, but is scheduled to ship in late this year, now that finally do the recording side. DSD of the sound source, said that the growing number, but it does not come content also increased if there is no equipment that can record ... is large voice that had been warming the story from late last year. Customers, that is because the delivered to the manufacturer's is scheduled for December, the actual product will be released is I think it's become much spring. Specifically 4ch input of DSD 5.6MHz, has become a solution that corresponds to the 4ch output. Also it to PCM also is corresponding to 384kHz / 32bit.

- Finally, it is not a PC system that can record in DSD comes appeared. Moreover, the 4ch, is incredible. But, Toka but it is to think that the software does not exist correspondence, perhaps using the Clarity of Korg!?

Mori: since in the form of moving using the ASIO, but we think that ...... do not be of use Clarity, when issuing the current ITF-USB DSD REC, so that it can provide the application software that corresponds to the recording and playback you to. Indeed, not necessarily aimed at DAW of about Clarity, there is just a tool more simple to recording, you can play but ....

- The software functional of, What about recording, the Toka balance adjustment of each only track playback?

Mori: The volume control for each track does not put. Split while watching the waveform, we are planning a simple thing that can save. So was consult with research institutions of the University "mute'm good performed in hardware," it was that, mute even I do not have implemented in software. In fact, these things, because technically that there are a number of patents at the center of the Super Audio CD (SACD) rather than, as a result of to not get caught in it, is up to you are like this. For more functions, so SONAR and Sound it! Also like have been corresponding DSD, I'm going to leave it in there.

- Audio interface that actual DSD can be recorded, is but it is still information as to go out from anywhere in the manufacturer?

Hirabayashi: That's right. Our business is, not make all the products from zero, is the last co-develop, can only start if there is a place that can support work. In that sense, to that there are customers who have developed actually together is certainly, we are have received inquiries from several companies.

- Did it with a 5.6MHz, does it or can also Toka recording in 11.2MHz?

Mori: I am trying to be able to respond as an upgrade option for 11.2MHz. However, the upstream, because down at the same time 11.2MHz is the power to severe is the situation. Therefore, the time being we would like to go in the 5.6MHz.

- That's by making USB 3.0 correspond, it might come out the possibility. First of all, recorded in DSD, looking forward to the advent of equipment that can play. By all means, I'd like to use quickly. Thank you very much.

Ken Fujimoto

After working 15 years to recruit, we established a limited company Fractal Design in 2004. MIDI from Recruit enrollment age, audio, who writes about the recording related articles. For previously is also involved in the development of the development and MIDI interface, PC sound source of sequencing software, even now, knowledge about the system is deep. In his book "Complete DTM Guidebook" (Rittor music), "can be Hatsune Miku & Rin-Len" (Impress Japan), there is a such as "MASTER OF SONAR" (BNN new company). Also blog-type news site DTM station addition to operating the, All About the DTM · digital recording has served also responsible guide. EPUB magazine " MAGon in", in delivering the "Ken Fujimoto of Digital Audio Laboratory's Journal". Twitter is Attokenfujimoto .

https://www.facebook.com/ken.fujimoto.31

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fav.watch.impress.co.jp%2Fdocs%2Fseries%2Fdal%2F20150727_713546.html