State of 13 Pin Guitars vs. GK-3 installation

Started by Charles Beatty, February 17, 2017, 08:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles Beatty

I've been following this site for many years and occasionally post.  I have owned a lot of guitar technology from the Roland VG-8, VG-99 through all things Line 6 from the Variax 300 up to the Variax JTV-59.  I have settled on the JTV-59 for a few reasons:

1.  I use alternate tunings often.
2  I love the acoustic sounds (it's set up with .011" gauge strings with a wound G.
3.  I also dig the tele, jazz box, and resonator sounds.

But, I am often drawn to the world of midi guitar.  I recently purchased a Fishman TriplePlay and soon abandoned it when I had trouble getting it to pair.  Was loving the idea of wireless implementation.

So I am back to the drawing board and thinking of getting the ATG-1 or GP-10.

I am looking at getting a Godin xTSA and then see old posts regarding the need for subsonic filitering, etc.

So, I am looking for advice.  What is the state of 13-pin guitars? e.g. Godin vs. Roland Ready Strat vs. installing a GK pickup on an existing guitar.

All comments and advice are greatly appreciated.

Elantric

QuoteSo I am back to the drawing board and thinking of getting the ATG-1 or GP-10.

If you want Guitar to MIDI  - then the GP-10 is what you want.

ATG does not perform any Guitar to MIDI, its more like a Line-6 Variax on Steroids   

If you play more acoustic and new age styles, the RMC Piezo guitars are the best ( Godin xtSA. LGX-SA, LGXT, Brian Moore iGuitar)

The GraphTech Piezo guitars ( Godin Freeway, Carvin / Keisel)  suffer more alt tuning anomalies compared to the RMC Piezo.

If you play more Rock / Blues then a Guitar with Roland GK-3 magnetic hex PU will sound smoother, less brittle on high gain settings with GP-10 / GR-55/VG-99

More info in this area

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=65.0

Charles Beatty

Thanks Elantric.  I do not play high gain.  When I gig, I play acoustic sounds and low down electric blues (e.g. Howlin Wolf, Tom Waits). 

The guitar to midi would be for recording - such as cool upright bass sounds. 

From what I'm reading, the GK-3 would be best.  A close second would be RMC equipped.  Does that sound right?

Quote from: Elantric on February 17, 2017, 10:09:02 AM
If you want Guitar to MIDI  - then the GP-10 is what you want.

ATG does not perform any Guitar to MIDI, its more like a Line-6 Variax on Steroids   

If you play more acoustic and new age styles, the RMC Piezo guitars are the best ( Godin xtSA. LGX-SA, LGXT, Brian Moore iGuitar)

The GraphTech Piezo guitars ( Godin Freeway, Carvin / Keisel)  suffer more alt tuning anomalies compared to the RMC Piezo.

If you play more Rock / Blues then a Guitar with Roland GK-3 magnetic hex PU will sound smoother, less brittle on high gain settings with GP-10 / GR-55/VG-99

More info in this area

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=65.0