BR-1600 - patch presets built into a BR1600 but in multi-FX pedal form

Started by MrSpock, December 02, 2018, 08:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSpock

Hi! I'm looking for the patch presets built into a BR1600 but in a multi-FX pedal form. Does anybody know if there's such a thing? A standalone BOSS unit (desktop/multi FX stomp box?) that will give me the same preset patches that are factory installed in a BOSS BR1600 recorder?

If there is then I would imagine I'd be looking at the second hand market because, a discontinued BR1600 must be getting on for about 15 years old now so I imagine I would need to source an external guitar FX unit from the period the BR1600 was on the market in the hope that it has similar sounds in it (ideallly just the same!) Can anyone help me out here?

PS: I'm currently road-testing one of those (older) POD 2.0 things but, so far, I'm not finding the 'right' sounds I need.     

admin

Quote from: MrSpock on December 02, 2018, 08:43:14 AM
Hi! I'm looking for the patch presets built into a BR1600 but in a multi-FX pedal form. Does anybody know if there's such a thing? A standalone BOSS unit (desktop/multi FX stomp box?) that will give me the same preset patches that are factory installed in a BOSS BR1600 recorder?

If there is then I would imagine I'd be looking at the second hand market because, a discontinued BR1600 must be getting on for about 15 years old now so I imagine I would need to source an external guitar FX unit from the period the BR1600 was on the market in the hope that it has similar sounds in it (ideallly just the same!) Can anyone help me out here?

PS: I'm currently road-testing one of those (older) POD 2.0 things but, so far, I'm not finding the 'right' sounds I need.   

If you read the BR1600 docs and marketing  - they do state that all the COSM Guitar amp  / FX modeling is based upon the Boss GT-6  - they later added Boss GT-6B Bass Amp modeling

but there is zero patch FILE compatibility ( AFAIK) between Boss GT-6 and BR-1600

I rather wish there was ! - the BR-1600 can embed MIDI program change commands mid song to allow a MIDI connected external MFX to change patches via MIDI Program Change commands embedded in a track on the BR-1600

Perhaps if we find a hundred other Boss  BR-1600 owners who each chip in $100 each and also locate and send a BR-1600 to New Zealand for Gumtown's use  - and wait 2 years - that may be one option - but I understand Gumtown has other priorities and never owned a BR-1600   

I understand the Boss BR-1600 Manual lists the full MIDI Implementation
https://www.manualagent.com/boss-audio-systems/br-1600cd/users-manual-2/page-288

MrSpock

Hi, thanks for your reply! When you put: 'there is zero patch compatibilty between GT-6 & BR1600CD' what do you mean by this exactly? Very simply put, there are a few presets that I would regularly use when recording with the BR1600CD that I really like but I haven't been able to recreate them with this POD thing I'm currently fighting with of late! I had hoped there would be a dedicated (and ideally fairly simple!) BOSS FX unit (similar to this standalone POD) that I could use that would give me these presets I've been using in the BR1600. Just going from the names of the presets built into the BOSS GT-6 (ie: just reading the GT-6 Patch List Table on a PDF this end), I can't see a similarity between the presets built into the BR1600 and those of the GT-6 (preset name-wise at least!)

admin

Quote from: MrSpock on December 02, 2018, 09:23:13 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply! When you put: 'there is zero patch compatibilty between GT8 & BR1600CD' what do you mean by this exactly? Very simply put, there are a few presets that I would regularly use when recording with the BR1600CD that I really like but I haven't been able to recreate them with this POD thing I'm currently fighting with of late! I had hoped there would be a dedicated (and ideally fairly simple!) BOSS FX unit (similar to this standalone POD) that I could use that would give me these presets I've been using in the BR1600. Just going from the names of the presets built into the BOSS GT-6 (ie: just reading the GT-6) Patch List Table on a PDF this end), I can't see a similarity between the presets built into the BR1600 and those of the GT-6 (preset name-wise at least!)

The BR-1600 can backup its data - but the file formats are not compatible with the Boss GT-6

And yes - ALL the patch names are different on each device  - no correlation there

But you could get a used Boss GT-6 set it with the BR-1600 side by side on the same desk and slowly recreate your BR-1600 Guitar tones on the Boss GT-6 - The GT-6 has all the BR-1600 FX parameters and same era COSM modeling

MrSpock

BRILL! Thank you. (And on further 'digging' this end I THINK it's the GT6 unit that's the closest to the bR1600 presets just going from the online .pdf 'Patch List Table' so it might be a GT6 I need to source.) CHEERS!

Elantric

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201976119

BR-1600CD, BR-1600, BR1600: Hard Drive Specifications
Roland Product Support
May 01, 2019 09:54

The following are hard drive (HDD) specifications for the BR-1600CD. Note that the BR-1600CD's operating system resides on flash ROM and is independent of the hard drive. Replacing the hard drive does not affect the operating system.

3.5" IDE drive (Also known as Parallel ATA). Solid state drives are not compatible.
80GB maximum with Version 2.01 operating system or later.
NOTES:
Larger drives are not compatible and will work.
Version update information can be found below.
Any standard drive speed, buffer and cache specification is compatible
Recommended brands when the BR-1600CD was in productions were be Maxtor, Seagate and IBM.
NOTE: Western Digital brand hard drives are not recommended--as customers had reported issues with these drives in past years.
Hard drives can be found at electronic/computer stores or online.
Additional Notes:

Like other manufacturers in the industry, we cannot offer instructions regarding opening up a product and uninstalling or installing any components (e.g. the hard drive)--due to safety and liability reasons. If you are not comfortable with replacing the hard drive, please contact a local service center:
https://www.boss.info/us/support/service_repair/service_centers/
The hard drive comes with Loop Phrases installed from the factory. If these are still needed after installing a new hard drive, follow the "Backing up user data (User Backup)" procedure on page 205 of the owner's manual to backup Loop Phrases and then the "Reading backup user data back into the hard disk (User Recover)" procedure on page 208 to recover them once the new hard drive is installed:
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/BR-1600CD_OM.pdf
Version Check: The following article will guide you through checking the BR-1600CD's current version of operating system:
https://www.boss.info/us/support/knowledge_base/201971509/
You may download and install the BR-1600CD's latest version here:
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/br-1600cd/updates_drivers/e6a7b2fe-4a79-452c-865f-32493422f388/