MIDI interface for Mac Sierra, USB–C, that can provide sufficient MIDI power?

Started by mooncaine, January 30, 2018, 10:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

I find myself without a midi interface that can supply power to a midi powered device, the MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus.

That means I can't reprogram the event processor. It gets its power over a MIDI cable.

I need recommendations for a midi interface for a MacBook Pro running Sierra, with only USB–C ports, that can provide sufficient midi power for one or two midi devices downstream. I'd prefer if it got its power from USB, rather than a plug-in power adapter, but I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

I have already discovered that the iconnectmidi4+ will not power my MIDI Event Processor Plus, nor will the MIDX–10. The only midi interface I own right now that would power it, the formerly excellent and extremely awesome presonus firebox, won't work for me any longer because I can't get drivers for it. It won't work in Yosemite or Sierra. What a shame; it's a great piece of kit with a fantastic headphone channel.

An alternative that I'm considering, (not sure it's available), is to buy a $50 power adapter from MIDI Solutions. Their adapter requires a wall wart, of course, but I'm tempted to do that instead of buying yet another midi interface. It would help me decide if I could learn your thoughts on this.