Stevastopol II Audio Port and Voltage Extractor

Started by scratch17, February 10, 2018, 01:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scratch17

Just saw this:

http://xaocdevices.com/main/sewastopol2/

Looks like six of them could act as an audio to CV converter for a fast guitar synth. They are available now at about $300 each.
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

chrish

I read the manual on this module and it did not appear to have pitch to control voltage conversions which would be necessary in order to trigger an analog synth, that accepts those types of control voltage input, for accurate pitch tracking.

And to verify I sent a email to the company itself and this is the response.

"Hello Chris,

We are sorry, but no - Sewastopol does not offer pitch extraction. This feature is quite rare in Eurorack because it is a challenging task
assuming it should works reliably with a vast range of audio signals (and that's what most customers expect).

Actually, we are considering a module that will extract pitch information, but it will be a different one, much more complex than Sewastopol.

best regards
Maciek
XAOC support"

I think if this company does design a module that does pitch extraction from an audio source it would be a killer module judging from the features that they put on the Sewastopol.

Right now the only module I know that does what you're suggesting is the Analog systems RS35.

Reading that manual, Analog Systems suggests placing a band pass filter before the audio input into their module in order to improve the accuracy of the pitch to control voltage extraction process.

It's the same problem with pitch to midi conversion in  trying to get rid of that second harmonic that creates false octave triggers.