GR-55 - Make your GK-3 "Guitar/Mix/Synth" Switch work (step by step)

Started by Elantric, March 09, 2011, 08:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prsrick

Thanks!  I checked that already, it was ON when it was not working.
And my normal guitar is always working, but suddenly it is not, do not know it is related what I did experimenting with the MIDI download or not.
And now. After I desperatlely changed several parameters, and it is working again, but do not know what make it works again.   

Thanks anyway.

rick

Deacon Blue

:)Thanks so much for the info on the GK-3 Guitar Switch! This forum is excellent! I just bought my GR-55 yesterday and the manual is a big learning curve. I've been watching the Kennis Russell YouTube videos which help a lot. Kudos to him!
"When your project isn't working, look for the part that you didn't think was important"
www.Bandmix.com/katylyst

HoosierMan

I love this forum!  After my Reverb Hell problem and the factory reset I could not figure out how to get my normal guitar pickup sounds going until I found this post on "tone volume" and now I am good to go.  Thanks for all the info and Happy New Year!

x0091935

sorry about this old question... but i can´t make my gk and gr...work with the guitar position...the sound always seems processed...and not my pickups sound...
Amps - Fender 212 DSP, Peavey Rage 158 and Kuston Defender 112
Pedals - Boss GT10, DD20, RC-30, Volume, Tc electronic NovaDrive, polytunner, Crybaby wha wha 535q, Digitech RP 80 and Roland GR-55
Guitars-Epiphone Swingster, explorer, Yamaha APX50, Gibson Les Paul, Fender Tele e Stratocaster

paults

Its only an old question because the GR55 still ships that way...  Every new owner has to deal with this, right out of the box.  Have you tried the steps from my original instructions, in the first post of this thread? 

Elantric

QuoteMix of both Dry Normal and Dry COSM Modeled guitar

Can you have that option through the 'guitar out' ONLY - without the COSM modeled guitar going out of the main outs as well?

Yes.
If you only use one 13 pin cable between the Godin and the GR-55, then after you enable the GR-55 Guitar Out for Normal Guitar, or Normal Guitar  and COSM Guitar - then simply turn off the Normal Guitar and Model guitar in the Tone Select area on the GR-55

This will send guitar sounds out the Guitar Out jack and only PCM synths to the Main outputs

bursky_ozbekov

Is there a simple way to bypass GR-55? I'm so frustrated about this. If not im gonna sell it.

Elantric

QuoteIs there a simple way to bypass GR-55?

In regards to what type configuration ?

Bypass what ? The Synth?  The COSM Guitar processing?  what ?

bursky_ozbekov

Just simple bypassing. I just wanna use my own guitar and amp sound (real thing). Like an effect pedal, i want to bypass it.

Elantric

The GR-55 does not have a "Bypass" setting

Most users in that situation try to use the GR-55 Guitar Out jack to feed their Tube Amp. Remember the GR-55 Guitar Out jack once configured is live all the time, and not controlled by the GR-55 Volume pedal.

However in practice, many discover that the noise floor of the  GR-55 Guitar Out jack when feeding a Tube Amp is VERY noisy.

So the compromise is run two cables from your guitar.

* 13 pin cable from guitar to the GR-55 (Feed GR-55 Output into a Full Range powered stage Monitor or PA)

* 1/4" cable from guitar to your stomp FX and Tube amp.

To bypass the sound of the GR-55, (to hear guitar only) move the GR-55 Volume pedal to "Off"
To bypass your Normal guitar sound thru your stomps and Amp (To hear synth only) use a separate volume pedal in your normal guitar signal chain.

neophytte

Quote from: Elantric on February 23, 2012, 08:19:22 AM

I was thinking "wow, Elantric must be passionate about this, to create this lovely diagram". Then I realized you'd copied it from the manual. Doh.

Sorry for the pointless post, my body is tired, but my brain can't sleep ....

Richard

Elantric

QuoteThen I realized you'd copied it from the manual.

90% of what I post here is from the Manual - suggest everyone read it.

google50002

Quote from: Elantric on March 09, 2011, 08:19:22 AM
<paults wrote>

Brian,

It didn't turn out to be that simple, if you want the three way switch to work:

1) Go to System

PEDAL/GK CTL (enter)

Tab over to VOL
    If you want to be able to hear the normal guitar when your switch is in the "GUITAR" position, change GK VOL to "TONE VOLUME", and turn NORMAL PU "OFF".  With the switch in MIX, you'll hear both the GK knob output, and your normal guitar output, with independent control for each.  In GK position, you'll just hear COSM/PCM sounds, and in GUITAR, just the normal guitar.

The other advantage to "TONE VOLUME" is it lets the guitar models be much more responsive and expressive. 

The GK settings can also be changed per patch, but this is based on the factory settings. I'm used to having my VG set up this way, so this setting may stay global for me.
Hi
I've tried this method but it won't helps me. I still don't manege my guitar pickup to work.
I'm using GK-3 pickup GR-55 and Variax 700 plug with battery.
Please help

thanks.

Elantric

Roland US Knowledge Base articles on the GR-55 (July 2012)
http://www.rolandus.com/support/knowledge_base/?HD_ID=105241

--
Hearing Your Normal (Guitar) Pickup Signal

If you want to hear your guitar's original pickup sound in the GR-55, you need to activate the NORMAL PICKUP switch within each patch. Here's how.

1. Choose a patch to edit.

2. Press the EDIT button.

3. Press PAGE left until you select the TONE menu.

4. Press the down-cursor button to select NORMAL PICKUP.

5. Turn the dial to highlight the NORMAL PICKUP box.

6. Set the GK select switch to the MIX position.

Note: If you want to hear only the guitar sound, de-select the PCM1, PCM2, and Model boxes as well.

If desired, press WRITE to save the new setting as a User patch, and then repeat the process for any patch in which you want to hear the original pickup sound.

dcragun

I have a clean guitar patch with strings that has a similar problem even though the "ASSIGN HOLD" is set to ON in the System tab. The expression pedal is set to control only the strings sound however whenever I change the patch or the 3 way toggle switch the strings go on... even when the pedal is not pressed down. Yes I can wiggle the pedal and turn the strings off but not good for live performance.

What am I missing?

Elantric

Post the problem patch here, so others may load and suggest a fix.

gumtown

There are many factors which can influence tone volumes, one being the state in which the patch was saved.
If the string volume is loud when the patch is saved, it will start off at that volume when the patch is selected.
Some assigns can over-ride other level settings too.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

dcragun

Thanks to both of you for your replies. The patch was saved with the strings volume all the way down. There is only one assign on the EXP for PCM Tone 2 which is the strings. Also attached the patch for reference.

Any suggestions are appreciated...

paults

I see PCM2 is the only thing "on" for the pedal. 

It looks like you have GK Volume set to "OFF" in the patch?

What are the settings for EXP Pedal and GK Volume in the SYSTEM MENU?

Elantric

Just wanted to thank Paults again for discovering the secret to enabling the GR-55 to be useful for processing normal pickups and allowing the GK-3 three-way "Guitar/Mix/Synth" switch to finally work !!!

Quote<paults wrote>

Brian,

It didn't turn out to be that simple, if you want the three way switch to work:

1) Go to System

PEDAL/GK CTL (enter)

Tab over to VOL
    If you want to be able to hear the normal guitar when your switch is in the "GUITAR" position, change GK VOL to "TONE VOLUME", and turn NORMAL PU "OFF".  With the switch in MIX, you'll hear both the GK knob output, and your normal guitar output, with independent control for each.  In GK position, you'll just hear COSM/PCM sounds, and in GUITAR, just the normal guitar.

The other advantage to "TONE VOLUME" is it lets the guitar models be much more responsive and expressive. 

The GK settings can also be changed per patch, but this is based on the factory settings. I'm used to having my VG set up this way, so this setting may stay global for me.

Mico

Sorry for the repetition, but've just bought the gr-55 and i want to use it mainly for ONE reason. I need to play my guitar straight in my plexi PLUS a midi bass coming from the gr 55, AT THE SAME TIME. Obviously when i've to do this i play power chords with the root on the sixth string, mapping the gk3 to be active only on the sixth string for the bass sound.

My question is: Can i play AT THE SAME TIME, my guitar from my pickups going straight to my pedal effects and plexi AND the sound of bass from the sixth string of the gk3 going in my PA or in a bass amp?
Sorry if it's a stupid question but i'm afraid that my purchase could be relatively useless for me. Thank you in advance. Love this forum.

Elantric

Sure - but most find its best to run a separate 1/4" Guitar cord from your Guitar's normal  1/4" Output jack to feed your normal FX and Plexi Amp.

then use the GK-3 and 13 pin to feed the GR-55  - for synth tones.

Mico

Thank you! I will try and write a post a about it. Hope is going to be fine  :)

pigeongreg

I'm having difficulty running my regular pedals through the GK-55, then through my amp. Can someone give me some basic instruction, explaining the order of which I should run my cables, from guitar to regular pedals to GK-55 to amp, including the name of the input I should choose on the GK-55? I'm using a Fender Deluxe amp. Basic, yet essential!

Elantric

The very first post in this thread explains how to enable Normal pickups on the GR-55
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3402.0

After you reprogram ALL GR-55 User patches to enable Normal Guitar, then you can program the GR-55 to enable the "Guitar Output" Jack, which would be one possible path to connect your external FX and then to your Fender Deluxe.Feed the GR-55 Output to a separate PA or full range amp.

Quote#17 MEMO  (page 54)
The GUITAR OUT jack can output the normal pickup sound and the sound of the [Guitar/ Bass] modeling tone.
For example, you can make settings so that the normal pickup sound and the [Guitar/ Bass]modeling tone sound will be played through a guitar amp {via the Guitar Out Jack}, while the other synthesizer sounds will be played through the PA system connected to the OUTPUT jacks. For details, refer to System settings "GUITAR OUT Jack Settings (GUITAR OUT)" (p. 70).
For details on the parameters, refer to "GUITAR OUT" (p. 59). If the SYSTEM setting GUITAR OUT (p. 80) is set to anything other than "PATCH," this setting is ignored.

HOWEVER - in practice the GR-55 Guitar output Jack is very noisy - much hiss.

So most folks simply run a separate 1/4" guitar cable from your Normal Guitar output Jack to  your external FX and then to your Fender Deluxe.

Just use the GK-3 and 13 pin to drive the GR-55 for Synth tones, and Feed the GR-55 Output to a PA or Fullrange powered Speaker.